View Full Version : torx to roll pin

djinuk
02-02-2011, 19:17
Just wondering if it would be possible to modify torx type hinges to accept the roll pin type design.

gimme5
02-02-2011, 20:47
best staying with torx easy to remove and refit

djinuk
02-02-2011, 20:52
problem is my r5 already has the roll pin type doors, however i know of 2 decent doors which are torx fitting you see.

TrixNFlix
02-02-2011, 20:53
problem is my r5 already has the roll pin type doors, however i know of 2 decent doors which are torx fitting you see.

Dj speak to member philg, sure he converted his 5 to torx.:scratch::laugh:

philg
02-02-2011, 20:57

If i remember right, you drill your shell hinges out by 1mm then fit the brass hats and then fit your new torx doors, you may need washers on the hinge to, as i did mine in reverse, ie pin doors onto a torx shell and i had to grind the shell hinge a bit to get the doors to fit on.

I had a big thread about it somewhere on here

philg
02-02-2011, 20:58
Dj speak to member philg, sure he converted his 5 to torx.:scratch::laugh:

:laugh:

philg
02-02-2011, 20:59
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=14092

djinuk
02-02-2011, 21:03
that thread is perfect , thanks phil.. although i just read it and i know the infos there but im that shattered my brains just reading it all and going...

Errrr......

Ill probably end up reading tomorrow, but i get the jist i think, basically its doable so if the doors are a reasonable prices then jobs a guddon.

philg
02-02-2011, 21:06
:)

modfather
02-02-2011, 21:06
and if you do end up doing it mate i got some of those brass hats if you want them :)

philg
02-02-2011, 21:08
that thread is perfect , thanks phil.. although i just read it and i know the infos there but im that shattered my brains just reading it all and going...

Errrr......

Ill probably end up reading tomorrow, but i get the jist i think, basically its doable so if the doors are a reasonable prices then jobs a guddon.

Mate doing it your way round will be childs play, torx doors onto a pin shell.

Mine was the other way round and i realy wanted to keep the torx doors, much easy to change, i ended up making my own bolt to do the job.

Oh and have fun taking the pins out lol :cooter:

djinuk
02-02-2011, 21:12
hehe , i got one of the draper tools so hopefully it will be an okish job :D

thanks mod-farther, damn i love these boards.

philg
02-02-2011, 21:18
Your car now has a 7mm hole shell and door with a 7ml pin in it

Torx doors use a brass hat(shim sort of thing) they fit into a 8mm hole and then the 6 mm torx bolt goes through it all and tightens up.

If you are going to fit torx doors you will not need to change the door, just the hinge on the shell, drill it out to 8mm then pop in your brass hats, fit new torx bits, job done. I just sold my torx bits to :(

djinuk
02-02-2011, 21:19
sweet i see, simples then reall, in fact id go as far as saying it would be better than fitting pins really.

philg
02-02-2011, 21:22
sweet i see, simples then reall, in fact id go as far as saying it would be better than fitting pins really.

I would not fit pins, my doors were pin doors and i did not want to put them on my car like that. Torx is so much easier as long as you don't snap them or round the heads ;)

modfather
02-02-2011, 21:26
I would not fit pins, my doors were pin doors and i did not want to put them on my car like that. Torx is so much easier as long as you don't snap them or round the heads ;)

i had that problem torx rounded off was a nightmare had to use a set of mole grips to get them out

philg
02-02-2011, 21:31
i had that problem torx rounded off was a nightmare had to use a set of mole grips to get them out

Best to do the phily g mod then :laugh: I made my shell holes and door holes both 8mm, fitted brass hats to take all the wear instead of the shell or the door and fitted a bolt and nylock job done, if the door drops again easy to take back out and fit new brass hats :)

modfather
02-02-2011, 21:39
Best to do the phily g mod then :laugh: I made my shell holes and door holes both 8mm, fitted brass hats to take all the wear instead of the shell or the door and fitted a bolt and nylock job done, if the door drops again easy to take back out and fit new brass hats :)

thanks i will keep that in mind :agree:

philg
02-02-2011, 21:43
thanks i will keep that in mind :agree:

They are a pain in the arse gt turbo doors :cry:

modfather
02-02-2011, 21:48
They are a pain in the arse gt turbo doors :cry:

yeah i no it took me a good couple of hours to get the bloody torx bolts out and ruined a good pair of mole grips while doing so had to take the grinder to them as the grips wass to big to get in the gap. im glad i got past that now