PDA

View Full Version : Clio 172 front brakes

Ricardo
02-11-2008, 13:00
Renault being Renault you can interchange parts across the board of models, so i was wondering if i could use the hubs, 280mm discs and calipers from the Clio 172 and fit them to a 5 GT Turbo?

jantheeven
02-11-2008, 22:46
I was wondering the same thing :laugh:
Good thread :agree: ;)

Matt Cole
02-11-2008, 23:02
:)If they are the same as the 182, the discs fit, calipers dont. So im told....

Ricardo
03-11-2008, 17:43
:)If they are the same as the 182, the discs fit, calipers dont. So im told....

That's why i thought if you used the 172 hubs as well then the 172 calipers would bolt straight on, no?

Was wondering if the 172 piston was a bigger diameter than the GT item

Adey aka Ewok
03-11-2008, 17:50
172 hub wnt go straight on from what ive heard, ull need different shocks and i think longer driveshafts, not gospel try it and see

Winston
03-11-2008, 18:17
The driveshafts are fatter where they go through the hub so...

To fit them you would need 172 wishbones, Driveshafts, ARB, hubs, shocks, calipers... a plus side is you get a much wider track.. but deffo much ****ing about

But I have read that maybe the inners of 16v/Williams hub will press into the 172 bearing... so in theroy you could fit them with out needing the driveshafts and no need to wide track...

only other mod neeeed would be thin down the hub where the it bolts into the shock as its rather chunky on the 172 hub

Ricardo
03-11-2008, 18:43
Hmmmmm, seems like too much work involved and would probably work out more expensive than dare i say it :D the K Tec 285mm kit

jantheeven
03-11-2008, 18:46
The driveshafts are fatter where they go through the hub so...

To fit them you would need 172 wishbones, Driveshafts, ARB, hubs, shocks, calipers... a plus side is you get a much wider track.. but deffo much ****ing about

But I have read that maybe the inners of 16v/Williams hub will press into the 172 bearing... so in theroy you could fit them with out needing the driveshafts and no need to wide track...

only other mod neeeed would be thin down the hub where the it bolts into the shock as its rather chunky on the 172 hub

That's not true mate... I've done some research and the front brake calipers for all R5, Clio I and Clio II models are exactly the same (except for the Clio RS). You only need a different caliper bracket. But, if you want Clio RS brakes (which are a lot better), you also need a hub adaptor plate... no need to change the wishbones, hubs, shocks, driveshafts etc... just the caliper brackets and/or hub adaptor plates ;)

Mart
03-11-2008, 20:53
What's wrong with the o.e setup + decent pads?

Matt Cole
03-11-2008, 22:03
What's wrong with the o.e setup + decent pads?

Fairly gash compared to a clio 172/182s. Plus 5's with heavier engines could do with some help.:agree:

Mart
03-11-2008, 22:08
Are the alternative engines being dropped in that much heavier? If so, fair play, but comparing a gtt's o.e brake setup (with a c1j in situ) to that found on the naturally heavier 172/182's isn't really a fair comparison.

Matt Cole
03-11-2008, 22:16
Are the alternative engines being dropped in that much heavier? If so, fair play, but comparing a gtt's o.e brake setup (with a c1j in situ) to that found on the naturally heavier 172/182's isn't really a fair comparison.

Ideally the gtt's brake setup should be on par with the heavier 172/182. It is a lighter car, No excuse really for rubbish brakes, wheels locking, discs warping, fluid boiling etc. I must admit i aint driven a new 5 withought all the worn parts, but even replacing all calipers, ms and fluid, they are still imo gash.:)

Ian S
03-11-2008, 22:36
There seem to be plenty of people who drive fast around tracks with standard sized discs and don't have any of those problems.

They suggest the likes of Brembo discs and standard pads or Ferodo DS2500 pads.

And don't forget the rear brakes, they add maybe 25% to stopping the car.

Winston
04-11-2008, 11:37
That's not true mate... I've done some research and the front brake calipers for all R5, Clio I and Clio II models are exactly the same (except for the Clio RS). You only need a different caliper bracket. But, if you want Clio RS brakes (which are a lot better), you also need a hub adaptor plate... no need to change the wishbones, hubs, shocks, driveshafts etc... just the caliper brackets and/or hub adaptor plates ;)

Ricardo asks if he can use 172 hubs and calipers... he didn't ask about adaptor plates.. I was just answering his question

Ive just helped my friend fit this set up on his Clio 16V.. So its tryed and tested

To run the 172 hubs you have to run the driveshafts... to run the driveshafts you need to run all the other parts

But as i said above you might be able to make a hybrid hub... which would be much cheaper than custom brackets

Another brake opition is 406 coupe 4pot Brembos they bolt up to standard hubs... using 172 discs and 21 tx caliper bolts... the caliper just need spacers to line it up with the disc

Brigsy
04-11-2008, 12:21
406 brembo's are pretty heavy though, could be a cheap 4 pot upgrade mind hmm. Popular with the ax/106 for a cheapo conversion, seen a few done before. Do they work ok with the o.e mastercylinder?

Ian S
04-11-2008, 12:56
I'd guess you'd need a larger master cylinder.

The old site has the details somewhere in it of which and the part number.

Ashy
04-11-2008, 13:03
After I've been using the 182 for the last few weeks the main thing I've noticed is how amazing the brakes are, not sure how much of that is electronics playing a part but they are a million times better than my R5 brakes!!

I'm currently in the process of getting all the bits together to run the 182 brakes and calipers. have a look at this thread http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=862

you can see the discs go straight on, the calipers will need a bracket to run on the R5 hub and I very much doubt you could ever run a 182 hub as its completely different to the R5 one.

Ian S
04-11-2008, 13:17
How big are the 182 rear discs?

As I keep saying, it's the four tyres that stop the car.

If the 182 has a different chassis balance to the 5GTT, with more weight at the rear, then the rear brake bias can be increased so the rears do even more.

Andrew Cooke
04-11-2008, 13:30
182 rears are the same size as GTT rears.

due to weight transfer the better your brakes are the less rear braking you can use, I'm on the limit of picking the rear wheels off the floor under braking and have to be very careful not to lock the rears, I now have smaller than standarc brakes, and the adjuster set to minimum rear braking.

Ian S
04-11-2008, 13:56
Do you have more weight transfer due to more grippy tyres that road tyres?

And proportionally less rear weight that a road car would have.

Just to illustrate the point, the best stopping cars I've driven were mid engined with wide rear tyres and I guess much more rear braking.

Sparkie if you're reading this thread, how does your 5 turbo stop compared to your 5GTT's?

Scoff, were you able to have more rear braking with your mid engined 5GTT and stop better that a front engined 5GTT?

There a similar thread going on the Fiat Forum, one bloke there says the rear of his very modified Cinquecento lifts off the ground when braking when he has 325lb, or more, springs at the front. Less and the front wheels lock. Maybe the wheels make a slight camber change as the front dives and so grip less. The rest of the Cinq owners, inc me, dream of having brakes as good as the 5GTT OE setup!

Ricardo
04-11-2008, 18:07
Just been on the Brakes International website and the Megane 2.0 16V, 1.9 diesels and even the 1.6 16V 1997-2003 models all use 280mm diameter disc setup, albeit 24mm wide does this mean that they're hub is yet again different to the Clio 172.

As for the OE setup, yeah i reckon running say grooved fronts with Carbon Lorraine pads would be a very nice combination under 13" wheels, however when running 15" and going 285mm in diameter there is a difference in braking. I noticed this on a trackday at Ipswich and in Germany. I'll go as far as to say the 285mm setup on my old 5 GT Turbo is better than my Clio 172 Brembo Max and Ferodo DS2500 combo, the only Pro with the Clio braking is having the ABS.

How about Metro Turbo 4 pots under 13" wheels???

jantheeven
04-11-2008, 18:21
I'll go as far as to say the 285mm setup on my old 5 GT Turbo is better than my Clio 172 Brembo Max and Ferodo DS2500 combo, the only Pro with the Clio braking is having the ABS.

By 285mm setup, do you mean 285 discs with standard calipers and caliper extender brackets? Or Clio calipers?

Ricardo
04-11-2008, 18:31
By 285mm setup, do you mean 285 discs with standard calipers and caliper extender brackets? Or Clio calipers?

Yes, 285mm discs and GT calipers. I ran a stock set of Renault 21TXi discs, PMT caliper extenders with Pagid fast road pads

jantheeven
04-11-2008, 18:45
Okay thanks mate. Reason I asked was that I came across a 2nd hand set of K-Tec 285 discs with caliper extenders and still nearly 21mm thick. Maybe I'll pick that set up and use my new Greenstuff pads...

Sparkie
04-11-2008, 22:39
Sparkie if you're reading this thread, how does your 5 turbo stop compared to your 5GTT's?

my turbo 2 has wilwood supalite brakes- 300mm discs all round and 285/40 r15's on the back....it stops very well!:laugh:

Brigsy
04-11-2008, 22:48
Ill add i still find the o.e sized gtt brakes excellent with the right pads, i.e ferodo ds2500 or mintex 1144's, With the c1j fitted of course. Heavier engine may make quite a difference. I can still lock the wheels easily if i stand on the brakes so plenty of power imo...

Even the van brakes were excellent at mallory with drums on the back;) Car crashes gtt with the motorfactor pads was outstanding:agree: