PDA

View Full Version : Clutch sticks down...

Yambo
02-02-2011, 18:37
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Randomly the clutch pedal will stick down for a second every now any then, I'd assume it is the slave or master cylinder on it's way out....any ideas?:coffee:

finsta
02-02-2011, 18:46
iv had this problem before mate. my clutch pedal was catching on a hole in the carpet. i just bent it a little and never had a problem with it since

Yambo
02-02-2011, 19:15

To be fair it could be the mats, I'll check it out when it's light! Cheers finsta, could save me a few quid!

Tony Walker
02-02-2011, 21:23
There isnt a master cylinder, consequently no slave cylinder either. Just a nice simple cable that likes to snap :D It does sound like the pedal is catching on something, either that or a problem with your clutch ratchet mechanism/spring.

gimme5
02-02-2011, 21:50
could be plastic teeth on ratchet,but you would feel it slip when pressing down,cable could be fraying inside sleeve and catching,arm seizing up on gearbox(hope its just floor mats)

J$£5GTT
02-02-2011, 21:59
maybe its the return spring as mentioned or if your really unlucky box related,meaning the splines..build up of crud,possibility...

R5TURBORON
02-02-2011, 22:35
Mine did this it caught on my mat lol

TNT ANDY
02-02-2011, 23:33
Could be chewing into the carpet and getting stuck there!

J$£5GTT
02-02-2011, 23:48
Could be chewing into the carpet and getting stuck there!

thats always happenin to me.......know the fellin..:wasntme:

TNT ANDY
03-02-2011, 06:13
thats always happenin to me.......know the fellin..:wasntme:

I've got a metal plate fixed where the carpet is worn, works a treat
:)

finsta
03-02-2011, 06:53

To be fair it could be the mats, I'll check it out when it's light! Cheers finsta, could save me a few quid!

I hope its a nice easy fix for you mate. let us know how you get on.:)

Trevhib
03-02-2011, 11:10
The carpet only had very minor wear where the back of the clutch pedal pressed against it when I sold the car. It's possibly worn through in the meantime. Definitely first thing to check (and then mat placement).

It used to happen to me in a previous GTT. Sometimes, when driving spiritedly, the pedal would stick in that carpet hole on gear changes, resulting in revving the nuts off the car as the accelerator is hammered whilst the clutch is disengaged :rolleyes:

By the way. I believe the clutch in the Ph1 is the original one Yambo! How much life is left in it at 25 years old?! :D

Yambo
10-02-2011, 17:54

The carpet only had very minor wear where the back of the clutch pedal pressed against it when I sold the car. It's possibly worn through in the meantime. Definitely first thing to check (and then mat placement).

It used to happen to me in a previous GTT. Sometimes, when driving spiritedly, the pedal would stick in that carpet hole on gear changes, resulting in revving the nuts off the car as the accelerator is hammered whilst the clutch is disengaged :rolleyes:

By the way. I believe the clutch in the Ph1 is the original one Yambo! How much life is left in it at 25 years old?! :D

Luckily it's just the pedal travelling about 2mm too far!

Cheers for the email Trev

REGGY5GT
10-02-2011, 19:16
i had the same issue, turned out to be the mat stopping the pedal from coming back up.