PDA

View Full Version : Coughing / spluttering and cutting out on idle

BriC
30-01-2011, 13:13
A few weeks ago I was using my GTT to go to and from work. It was fine for the first few days, but one morning, when I was waiting at traffic lights, I had my foot on the accelerator holding the revs at 2000rpm to get the engine warmed up faster (It was pretty cold, and I wanted warm coolant through the matrix) and it started to splutter, but I kept it going. When I went to set off it spluttered and died, and wouldn't start again.

I got towed home, and had a look at it the following weekend. I couldn't see anything wrong - I was getting fuel, all looked to be in place, etc so I went to start it, and it started straight away! So I took it on a drive, and it seemed fine. So I put the issue down to a freak engine flooding or something, and didn't really worry about it. After that I parked it up, and didn't use it until today

Today, I thought I'd take it for a spin, just to check it was all good, as I was planning on using it for work next week, but when I had it idling on the drive (It had already been idling for a while, and was well on it's way to being warmed up), it just cut out. It seemed to start again fine though.

Whilst driving though, it was sometimes spluttering and holding back when I was on boost. Sometimes it would be fine, others it would really struggle!

Sorry about the essay, but does anyone have any suggestions? I've had another look under the bonnet today, and it all seems fine

Few pictures of the engine / carb. Like I say, nothing looks out of place, but I may be missing something:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/BriC175/Renault%205%20GT%20Turbo/IMG_7580.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/BriC175/Renault%205%20GT%20Turbo/IMG_7578.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/BriC175/Renault%205%20GT%20Turbo/IMG_7575.jpg

Cheers.

Smokey
30-01-2011, 14:28
Mine also did this the other week when it was a little cold almost like it was runing on three cylinders. I took all the leads off while the engine was runing one by one and you could clearly here the change in engine note then after that it was all ok.

It did at first feel like bad carb freeze but i think it was down to a dodgey conection on a ht lead so check all your leads dizzy an spark plugs.

Mat

BriC
30-01-2011, 18:01
I wouldn't have thought it would cut out though, even if running on 3, and it doesn't really sound / feel like that. I would say it seems fuelling related tbh, and the way it was cutting out felt like that too

SCHWARTZ
30-01-2011, 18:26
take the plugs out and see how they look may help determine if its a fueling prob.

BriC
30-01-2011, 19:01
take the plugs out and see how they look may help determine if its a fueling prob.

Good idea! Won't be able to work on it until next weekend though

kial
30-01-2011, 21:13
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

This has happend to me a few times like you say when i go to pull of it splutters an goes to cut out i usually give it a rev and pull choke out a little more to keep it going.(if im not fast enough with the choke once its cut out it takes a while to start again) but once mine gets warm it seem to be fine. although i did check my plugs gave them a little clean. touch wood, its not happend since..

good luck finding out what the problem is anyways just thought id let you know your not the only one with this problem...:cooter:

Tony Walker
30-01-2011, 22:41
one way valve intermittantly sticking?

BriC
30-01-2011, 23:05
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

This has happend to me a few times like you say when i go to pull of it splutters an goes to cut out i usually give it a rev and pull choke out a little more to keep it going.(if im not fast enough with the choke once its cut out it takes a while to start again) but once mine gets warm it seem to be fine. although i did check my plugs gave them a little clean. touch wood, its not happend since..

good luck finding out what the problem is anyways just thought id let you know your not the only one with this problem...:cooter:

Mine is doing it when fully up to temp. though!

Shane P
31-01-2011, 01:01
When i first bought my car it use to do that, turned out the TDC sensor/lead was on its way out and it would randomly run like crap or cut out for no reason.

Also, how low does your fuel level get before you fill up ? Sucked any crap into the carb? New fuel filter and some redex fuel injector cleaner may help, a lot :-) solved my minor spluttering problems straightaway.

Spark plugs sealing in the head ok ?

Air leaks from carb ?

djinuk
31-01-2011, 07:23
would it be a major sin to put an inline clear filter (small one) on the line just before it meets the carb, lease then you could see if it was fuel starvation, just thinking could it be pump/fuel filter related, just a thought as they only cost like 90p

BriC
31-01-2011, 09:50
Cheers for all the advice guys - keep it coming! Will be having a look at it this weekend.

Just a thought - I have an AFR gauge waiting to be fitted. I guess now is probably a good time to fit it, so I can see if it's underfueling or overfueling?

Also, could overfueling be causing these symptoms?

BriC
04-02-2011, 07:56
Update - Drove it to work this morning (just about). It's wierd - it seems to be having the issue mostly when I go around corners.

I got to work, noticing it seems to be struggling a bit around the corners, but ok on straights. I even gave it a bit of boost and it was OK.

It died on me when I got to work though. Was driving around the carpark when it died!

Does it sound like something electrical? It very much feels like the engine is flooding!

PeteMac27
04-02-2011, 08:30
Hmmm sounds interesting

IANMM
04-02-2011, 08:36
have you made sure the over boost sensor isnt touching something (if its been disconnected) it could be moving about

IANMM
04-02-2011, 08:38
check connections on fuel pump and fuel filter (i would change that anyways if not new) check dizzy cap isnt loose or split also check condition of rotor arm

BriC
04-02-2011, 08:40
Cheers Ian - Will look at all those things. Just a question though - where is the boost sensor?

IANMM
04-02-2011, 08:43
it used to be it the outgoing side of the turbo before it went into the intercooler look for 2 push on connectors around the header tank location

BriC
04-02-2011, 08:45
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/BriC175/HelmetsCaravanTyre008.jpg

The sensor on the short boost hose next to the expansion tank? Where does the other end of that connect?

IANMM
04-02-2011, 08:51
yeah thats it, and i think it goes back to AEI to retard the ign if you over boost it :) the cables touching each other or too body work will have the same effect

RussellT
04-02-2011, 09:12
check your battery isnt loose. The plate that holds it can be put on upside down and then it will slide. If the +ve terminal touches the inner wing the car will cut out. Turning right should be the worst.

Eugein Offord
04-02-2011, 22:18
as the thick possative wire connects to the starter ive seen the wire chafe against the block or bulkhead................. also the carb could be loose either at its base or the carb top............ive had all 3...................:eek::eek: also the battery terminal connections as the wire connects to the brass terminal can begin to break away.................i had this on the m25............:) 2000... the millenium

BriC
12-02-2011, 12:44
I'm outside now working on the car. I've found I'm getting no fuel.

Any tips on what to check?

Where can I find the fuel pump relay?

markey b
12-02-2011, 12:55
I'm outside now working on the car. I've found I'm getting no fuel.

Any tips on what to check?

Where can I find the fuel pump relay?

fuse box, its a big relay with a 6 pin connector and 5 wires. bridge the big red and big white with some wire and it should be heard buzzing at the pump, i had no fuel and it was a bad battery earth believe it or not!

BriC
12-02-2011, 13:17
Markey, I get the buzzing and fuel when I bridge those wires. Does that mean the relay is fooked?

Kris M
12-02-2011, 13:54
yup:)

BriC
12-02-2011, 14:59
Problem sorted. Cheers markey!