PDA

View Full Version : Heater Fan

far4ngn
30-01-2011, 05:47
Well put the car back together, seats in etc and finally went for a drive. Car went well, but the heater fan has stopped working.

So tested the input voltage 12v, pulled the heater fan out and cleaned the connections, replaced it and...nothing.

Pulled it again and checked the voltage around 7v to the fan. Checked the resistance on a spare fan unit (1.2ohm, same as original). Reinstalled..worked, making some rubbing noises.

Wiggled it and it doesnt work again aagh, so I'm not sure if its the connections in the bottom of the fan housing or something else.

Any suggestions?

Woznaldo
30-01-2011, 06:42
Try to bend the female connectors so they're pushing/squeezing the male connector a bit harder, if you get the gist. Maybe even get some very fine emery cloth and abrade the connectors slightly. Once it's all working again, put a dob of petroleum jelly on the connectors to prevent them losing continuity again.

far4ngn
30-01-2011, 08:12
Filed the female connectors and added petroleum jelly, I did squeeze them with pliers but i will try it again.

J$£5GTT
30-01-2011, 18:51
iv'e gone all winter without a heater fan,come to think of it last winter to....
my conclusion is you dont need a heater fan.
:D

The new Bill J
30-01-2011, 18:59
iv'e gone all winter without a heater fan,come to think of it last winter to....
my conclusion is you dont need a heater fan.
:D

In the ten years that I owned my white 5, I had a working heater for a few months. How I lasted, I'll never know :scratch:

The new Bill J
30-01-2011, 19:03
In the ten years that I owned my white 5, I had a working heater for a few months. How I lasted, I'll never know :scratch:

Come to think of it, the one in my cup car doesn't work either :laugh:

J$£5GTT
30-01-2011, 19:09
heater fans are for wimpy spotty folk who dont shave yet an need to toughen up!
:cooter:

jesus in the seat of a 5
30-01-2011, 19:19
heater fans are for wimpy spotty folk who dont shave yet an need to toughen up!
:cooter:

or track fiends who have to drive their car home after blowin the headgasket...:wasntme:

far4ngn
30-01-2011, 19:49
I wanted it working, as I've fixed everything else... now it decides to quit on me. Which means I HAVE to get it working, I won't be beaten! Grrr

I'm intending to get a WOF (NZ version of an MOT), plus get them to reconnect my heater matrix. But If I need to, I'll take out the dash again which means connecting my heater matrix will have to wait.

I think I'll make up some long leads that connect to the fan motor and the female connectors in the bottom of the heater unit. That should at least ensure I can see if is a connector fault and to see if the fan works and allowsd me to wiggle the connections :)

J$£5GTT
30-01-2011, 20:07
I think I'll make up some long leads that connect to the fan motor and the female connectors in the bottom of the heater unit. That should at least ensure I can see if is a connector fault and to see if the fan works and allowsd me to wiggle the connections
:agree:

far4ngn
30-01-2011, 20:20
Its the only way I can think of for really checking if the circuit works, who would put some connectors at the bottom of a hole... what were they thinking?

Even the resistor for the fan is in a place where you would never be able to fix it. :mad:

J$£5GTT
30-01-2011, 20:29
Its the only way I can think of for really checking if the circuit works, who would put some connectors at the bottom of a hole... what were they thinking?

Even the resistor for the fan is in a place where you would never be able to fix it. :mad:

true,i took an old heater unit apart...its bananas...
its an option i was goin to do an just bypass it..plenty of room
underneath,just make sure the wires will be well out the way
of the fan unit obviously....:D
:)