PDA

View Full Version : removing pistons/grudgeon pins

djinuk
27-01-2011, 16:58
With regards to my engine build im just wondering how difficult it is to remove the grudgeon pins from pistons and refitting, or is this a job for an engineering place to take on ?

James5
27-01-2011, 17:06
machine shop matey will cost around £30

clee
27-01-2011, 17:09
If the pins got a grudge then it could prove difficult :D
If the pin is ' fixed ' to the rod then it needs heating and then pressing to get it out and best left to someone with the right gear .
I wouldn't bother that much if it all looks OK and you'd probably be better off just getting another if any look doubtful .
I'm talking GTA here but it's all the same ...GTA turbo has loose fitting pin held in with circlips ,GTA Atmo has pins pressed into rod .

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
27-01-2011, 18:09
I have the Renault tool for this..... Was going to sell it last year, but could rent it out.
If your doing c1j you have to warm the pistons, freeze the gudeon pins and use a small press. F block engine is easier.

Sparkie
27-01-2011, 19:30
i have found that you always wreck the piston when pressing it out.

Scoff
27-01-2011, 20:52
matt, what is the renault tool like and how does it work ?

Like sparkie, I've never had any success and any of the machine shops I've tried have either run a mile or attempted it and distorted the piston.

If the pistons already wrecked it's much easier because you can cut it off and just heat/press the pin out.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
27-01-2011, 23:56
Just walked in from the workshop..... Supposed to be a straight forward pre track session check over and change brake fluid, turned into a leaking bias valve.....lucky I had a spare.

I'll pop a pic of the tool up here tomorrow.... Ker-nackered at the moment.
Matt

Alastair
28-01-2011, 15:34
Just walked in from the workshop..... Supposed to be a straight forward pre track session check over and change brake fluid, turned into a leaking bias valve.....lucky I had a spare.

I'll pop a pic of the tool up here tomorrow.... Ker-nackered at the moment.
Matt

Dont know what it is with Bias / proportioning valves, i popped 2 in a year, willwood, tilton, but my new AP one seems to be holding up... enjoy the track Matt :agree::agree::agree:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
28-01-2011, 23:19
Another late one.....I'll try again Sat.......neeed Sleeeeeeeppp :sleep:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
30-01-2011, 09:33
Here we are, renault gudgeon pin tool.

Adam 005
30-01-2011, 10:23
Here we are, renault gudgeon pin tool.
how much heat sould be applied to the rod when removing pin:confused:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
30-01-2011, 10:30
Enough to make the pin move I suppose....

Adam 005
30-01-2011, 10:43
Enough to make the pin move I suppose....
:confused:untill pin move on it's own or do you need to press it a little:)

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
30-01-2011, 10:50
Decent blow torch is ok, enough heat to move the pin with a tiny bit of resistance, the Renault tool is used with a press and by hand as it takes in many different pistons.
There is a vid on YouTube which is quite usefull by Boxwrench (not Renault specific), I'll try and find it.

clee
30-01-2011, 10:56
Manual states heat required to install pins ,doesn't say to use heat when removing ,just press out .
250 c on a hot plate ,use solder to gauge when ready .

youngscottie
30-01-2011, 17:09
take one old liner drill a 22mm hole straight through
and this will give you somthing to support the piston when pressing in/out

when i done mine in the garage i put said liner in the vice insert piston and hammered out the pins (wasnt keeping the pistons but they never distorted anyway)

stuck the new pins in the freezer and the rods in the oven for 20minutes
then lined up in the old liner and tapped in the pins

6000miles later there still working:)

TNT ANDY
15-11-2012, 19:54
take one old liner drill a 22mm hole straight through
and this will give you somthing to support the piston when pressing in/out

when i done mine in the garage i put said liner in the vice insert piston and hammered out the pins (wasnt keeping the pistons but they never distorted anyway)

stuck the new pins in the freezer and the rods in the oven for 20minutes
then lined up in the old liner and tapped in the pins

6000miles later there still working:)

Anyone else done this?

sega
15-11-2012, 20:13
Manual states heat required to install pins ,doesn't say to use heat when removing ,just press out .
250 c on a hot plate ,use solder to gauge when ready .

yep that is how i do it also. I also haven't been able to keep one piston whole when pressing the pins out. Iff you overheat them they sometimes come free after a while. So i use a torch to heat them and a peace of solder in the other hand. Just be shure you heat it everywhere and be fast when pressing them in by hand. ;)
When you don't feel confident i would let a shop do it.

TNT ANDY
15-11-2012, 21:44
yep that is how i do it also. I also haven't been able to keep one piston whole when pressing the pins out. Iff you overheat them they sometimes come free after a while. So i use a torch to heat them and a peace of solder in the other hand. Just be shure you heat it everywhere and be fast when pressing them in by hand. ;)
When you don't feel confident i would let a shop do it.

:agree:

cheers chappy

olidaviesuk
16-11-2012, 09:30
I've managed to do this successfully, though at the time my mum almost killed me for using her oven to heat the pistons up... The method Matt suggests is bang on, however a can of plumbing pipe freezing spray is a BIG help!

sega
16-11-2012, 10:02
I would like to know why you would heat the pistons? I only heat the rods.
Or is it so you dont break them when you remove them?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
16-11-2012, 10:17
so you dont break them when you remove them?

This^.

sega
16-11-2012, 10:26
Ok thanks might come in handy someday. But i always use new pistons so dont bother much with the old ones.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
16-11-2012, 10:43
Heating also stops you cracking the new pistons too.

sega
16-11-2012, 12:07
Iff the rods were giving to much resistance wenn you were pushing the pin threw.

markey b
16-11-2012, 12:22
we took mine off recently, press them out cold in a vice, heat the rod to refit and pop them in by hand. no damage caused. we used a brass rod thing we made up, i'll try and find some pics

TNT ANDY
16-11-2012, 12:33
we took mine off recently, press them out cold in a vice, heat the rod to refit and pop them in by hand. no damage caused. we used a brass rod thing we made up, i'll try and find some pics

Fancy giving us a hand with this Markey? I'll pay yer fuel chap.

markey b
16-11-2012, 13:07
Fancy giving us a hand with this Markey? I'll pay yer fuel chap.

yea sure, although u dont need to fuel me, i have a clio dci :laugh:

TNT ANDY
16-11-2012, 18:37
Cheers fella - I'm gonna have a go tonight pressing the other out tonight. I'll give you a shout when I know what I'm doing.

gtmatt
17-11-2012, 21:29
Took mine to the local engineers £10 he heats them :)