PDA

View Full Version : Accelerator pedal sticking

far4ngn
26-01-2011, 01:02
When I pressd the accelerator pedal the car revs as normal, but when I pull my foot off it loses revs and then stops at around 1000 revs.

I have found that I need to put my foot under the pedal and pull it up to get it to tick over.

I've replaced the accelerator spring, just wondering if I need to move the cable OR if I need to do something to the pedal itself?

The pedal appears to slide sideways in the bracket and gets stuck...is it meant to have any washers/rubbers to keep it positioned centrally?

far4ngn
26-01-2011, 21:24
Can anyone get on their hands and knees and send a pic of the accelerator bracket on their 5 please :)

REGGY5GT
26-01-2011, 21:37
If its been working ok until recently what ide be tempted to do mate is get some old engine oil/gearbox oil and work it into the cable under the bonnet, tip some drips on the cable and work it into the the inner cable if you know what i mean, keep dripping oil on the cable for about ten minutes working it in and out, worked wonders for mine and to me the throttle feels smother and less sticky.:agree:

far4ngn
26-01-2011, 21:48
Good idea, I'll have a go at this...wonder if WD40 would be any use?

REGGY5GT
26-01-2011, 22:01
to be honest mate i wouldn't use WD40 as imo it dries up too quick due to the heat under the bonnet, the oil would lubricate for quite a while, i do it everytime i service my gt.

michael tierney
27-01-2011, 21:44
make sure the outer cable has'nt come out of the grommet at the pedal box....u wont see it unless u remove the wheel arch top corner cover!!