PDA

View Full Version : blimmin doors...

jesus in the seat of a 5
25-01-2011, 15:27
:sad2:..wonder if anyone can help, im sure the doors have dropped a bit like they do, but they used to shut and lock neigh worries...at the mo they are bunged shut...:laugh:, what a pikey...:laugh:, i can get them to close but the locks wont grip and stay shut..:mad:, the doors will close enough etc and the catch on the doors on both side has had tape on it so im asuming that they are worn...:scratch:, please shed some light, ideas , the holy mans way....:D, ta folks...:cool:

Lomo
25-01-2011, 15:38
Well I be jeezuz, you cant shut your doors! :)

Check the latches on the car mate..These should have rubber on them. When you close the door the catch in the door/lock turns and grips round the said latch/rubber. Usually when the door drops it scrapes away at this rubber and eventually has nothing to grip to.The teeth on the door latch just hit the bar and instead of gripping round it. If the latch on the car has gone you can buy these..Think they are only 2 torque screws if I remember correctly to get off.:scratch:

Another option would be to try and raise your door slightly..Put some plumbers tape round the latch on the inside of the car for your lock to grip to when you close the door..

jesus in the seat of a 5
25-01-2011, 15:39
Well I be jeezuz, you cant shut your doors! :)

Check the latches on the car mate..These should have rubber on them. When you close the door the catch in the door/lock turns and grips round the said latch/rubber. Usually when the door drops it scrapes away at this rubber and eventually has nothing to grip to.The teeth on the door latch just hit the bar and instead of gripping round it. If the latch on the car has gone you can buy these..Think they are only 2 torque screws if I remember correctly to get off.:scratch:

Another option would be to try and raise your door slightly..Put some plumbers tape round the latch on the inside of the car for your lock to grip to when you close the door..

cheers me ole scally , i thought been friendly with the bizzies you might know a thing or two regards car doors...:laugh::wasntme:, im gonna try that now....:agree::cool:

Lomo
25-01-2011, 15:44
cheers me ole scally , i thought been friendly with the bizzies you might know a thing or two regards car doors...:laugh::wasntme:, im gonna try that now....:agree::cool:

The back doors I know you cant open from the inside :laugh:

jesus in the seat of a 5
25-01-2011, 16:05
:laugh:..right tried extra tape on both catches, the doors go right flush , they just dont lock , something is stopping/preventing the catches from going over and clicking in place...maybe they are just buggerd....:scratch:

James5
25-01-2011, 16:10
You will need to remove the lock's / door latch unit Matt and try to give them a good clean up and grease up, just done mine recently due to the same fault it worked on the drivers side but the passenger one the latching mechanism inside was not working and just not allowing the door to latch and secure at all (the sealed black plastic box part with the springs and cogs in) had stopped working.

If that doesn't work you may have to dive into that pile of OE spares you have got matey and try another lock mechanism

jesus in the seat of a 5
25-01-2011, 16:15
You will need to remove the lock's / door latch unit Matt and try to give them a good clean up and grease up, just done mine recently due to the same fault it worked on the drivers side but the passenger one the latching mechanism inside was not working and just not allowing the door to latch and secure at all (the sealed black plastic box part with the springs and cogs in) had stopped working.

If that doesn't work you may have to dive into that pile of OE spares you have got matey and try another lock mechanism

:laugh:, cheers james , i reckon its locks out ..ones from the campuss in...:agree:..as for the stash, that dont get touched unless hell freezes over...:laugh:, for now i guess ill have to whack a massive chain round the wheel an cage and its bungys all round...:laugh:

Brigsy
25-01-2011, 16:42
Get a load of wd 4 sprayed in the lock mech, work them in and out by hand with a screwdriver. Take you ten mins to fix;)

jesus in the seat of a 5
25-01-2011, 16:47
Get a load of wd 4 sprayed in the lock mech, work them in and out by hand with a screwdriver. Take you ten mins to fix;)

Owwwwww do bud, sounds like youve done this before, ill give it a go....:agree:, must say they have been doin for a few days , firstly the driver door was a bugger then the passenger door joined in too...:laugh:, probally just because i was stopped by the old bill as they were concerned that the BORIS homemade sidey was a bit loud and they said acctually it aint too bad they then got intrested and i told um it was reliable...:laugh:, thatll teach me...:laugh:

jesus in the seat of a 5
25-01-2011, 18:58
update , one working..for how long who knows...:laugh:, i will blimmin work the other one tommorow as its pitch black now an raining...:laugh:, cheers for advice friends...:)

Fishey
25-01-2011, 19:21
I've had the same problem with both of mine, i took them out and cleaned/soaked them in petrol till all the old sticky grease was out and then re oiled them with 3 in 1 oil (nice light oil thats never gonna go sticky).

All is spot on now:smokin:

J$£5GTT
25-01-2011, 19:45
im in on this to,sticky latches an all...as said clean..lube an go!!!
but one time i could not think why the latch was not working,
and it turned out to be a very small piece of the black plastic/rubber
that had come of the catch an stuck in the latch...
shizzle im ryming slang here...!!!
im sure you get me mate..
:p

royz
25-01-2011, 20:17
after the wd and all is working get some spray grease and give it a little squirt and work that in.

Smokey
25-01-2011, 20:41

Brigsys great advice worked for me ages ago and has stayed fixed since. :agree: