PDA

View Full Version : Turbo oil return feed

Ricardo
20-01-2011, 22:21
Seen on a couple of threads the oil return runs to the back of the F4R block. Is the block drilled out then threaded to screw a part in? Could a return feed be done the same way as the 5GTT, an outlet welded on the sump?

James5
20-01-2011, 22:36
Seen on a couple of threads the oil return runs to the back of the F4R block. Is the block drilled out then threaded to screw a part in? Could a return feed be done the same way as the 5GTT, an outlet welded on the sump?

Rich to Answer your questions Yes for an adaptor for the oil return, Yes and yes:agree::D

You going turbo now?

Ricardo
20-01-2011, 22:42
Seriously thinking about it now James, just doing a 'shopping list' of bits i'd need to buy and trying to get them as cheap as possible. Working out a cost for everything, i don't think it'll be too hard..... OE bottom end, low boost :)

James5
20-01-2011, 22:55
Seriously thinking about it now James, just doing a 'shopping list' of bits i'd need to buy and trying to get them as cheap as possible. Working out a cost for everything, i don't think it'll be too hard..... OE bottom end, low boost :)

Nice 6-7 psi as you say on standard comp engine should be ok

Cossie turbo or 200sx T28,
Injectors although you might be able to use th OE's on low boost not sure what they can cope with,
Walbro 255 or 044 bosch fuel pump (again not sure if need for low boost setup),
Intercooler,
Intercooler pipe run,
exhaust manifold of fleabay,
Turbo downpipe,
oil feed and oil return,
coolant feeds and outlets,
OE ECU reprogramme for low boost

Spooky
20-01-2011, 23:12
Buy my 172 Rich...dont need it now, you can practice on that bitch :D

5teve L
20-01-2011, 23:18
Bear in mind if you go into the sump you are closer to the driveshafts, well on the F7P you would be, hence why I'm drilling the block...

Adey aka Ewok
25-01-2011, 09:32
Could you run the return to the front of the sump same as the 5gtt? I'd poss choose the pulsar gtir turbo for the bigger back end. I'm on a stock pump at the mo on mine and it seems ok

James5
25-01-2011, 10:01
Couple of pics for you stolen from various places of RTOC :D First pic is F7p (1.8 16v) but I am sure the f4r block has the same round flat bit at the back which can be drilled out for the oil return.

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/F7%201.8%2016v%20conversion/P4170489.jpg

Williams F7r turbo return

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=390&pictureid=3609

Ashy's engine looks like he has welded a drain to the front of the sump like the gtt

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=344&pictureid=3067

Ricardo
25-01-2011, 10:05
Could you run the return to the front of the sump same as the 5gtt? I'd poss choose the pulsar gtir turbo for the bigger back end. I'm on a stock pump at the mo on mine and it seems ok
Adey, with that manifold I should be able to do it GTT way as the turbo doesn't sit behind the block

James5
25-01-2011, 10:08
Adey, with that manifold I should be able to do it GTT way as the turbo doesn't sit behind the block

:laugh: You should off said you had Adey's old manifold:laugh: look at Ashy's profile matey and the pic I posted above quiet useful for ideas

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=344

Mart
25-01-2011, 10:22
Still say you should go TDi ;) :D

Would the 225/230 lump fit? Matt's snuggled one into a GTT bay, so I guess it should slot into a Clio.

Would be a nice drive, and coupled up with the R26 trick diff, becomes a track weapon.

Bit of a moolah outlay though...

Ricardo
25-01-2011, 10:22
Sorry James :D

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand sump to do the work on

Ricardo
25-01-2011, 10:25
Still say you should go TDi ;) :D

Would the 225/230 lump fit? Matt's snuggled one into a GTT bay, so I guess it should slot into a Clio.

Would be a nice drive, and coupled up with the R26 trick diff, becomes a track weapon.

Bit of a moolah outlay though...
TDi for 1.5k?? That's my budget :ashamed:

Mart
25-01-2011, 10:31
First one I found...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-VW-PASSAT-1-9-TDI-130-PD-AVF-ENGINE-COMPLETE-UNIT-/290526554039?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a4bb67

Plenty more (and cheaper) available on there.

Duncan Grier
25-01-2011, 11:40
Mart you know it ;)

It does fit btw as the 20vt 100% fits in the clio and 6 speed box and no real difference to fitting

Have a project backed up for someone to fit the above conversion 300bhp, diff, oe management. Will share some picks when I start / finish but not like I am the 1st to do it so not ground breaking

I know the talk of a black rod tuned 5 has been talked about since my vag 5 and makes great sense but imo no good for a 5 as you will never be able to take advantage of the low down power (sure the 100mpg would be good for the daily though lol) you cannot get away from that suoer short shaft on one side either. However, in say a Megane 225 stripped etc could be great and maybe.....just maybe work well in the clio ;)

But with the Tsi lump available I fear it would not happen for me

Seems I have too much on and after a plan to not take to much on this year I seem to be flat out every weekend again :( and have my own car to put back together and new track project (green phonix, name tbc lol)

So alas the 5 vag project is completly on hold as I have a vx220 turbo project and 7 stylee race car to finish - which you guessed it will be powered by VAG ;)

DG

Matt Cole
25-01-2011, 12:21

Ric,

You need to consider the best pick up path for the pump and also account for any surge within the sump. Its not all about 'slapping it anywhere it will fit in the sump'. Look at where sir renault has placed it on the 225, and try and find a pic of the bottom end semi assembled. :agree:

Adey aka Ewok
25-01-2011, 12:34
I thick the meggy turbo setup (exhaust side) will bolt to a 172, meggy f1 engine with diff would be good, I know my car could do with one so defo worth a look for track use

Ricardo
25-01-2011, 13:57
Matt I'm just throwing some ideas into the thread, all feedback is appreciated, the last thing I want is for it to all go horribly wrong after spending plenty of hard earned cash on it