PDA

View Full Version : cause of a missfire

djinuk
16-01-2011, 23:12
what can causes missfires if it gets wet.
dizzy plugs leads... anything else ?

TrixNFlix
16-01-2011, 23:20
Youve just changed your headgasket havnt you ?Check your not 180 degrees out with your dizzy shaft.

newbstar*
16-01-2011, 23:46
Have you got bonnet vents?

djinuk
17-01-2011, 06:48
nah no bonnet vents, but we were doing the work for 30 mins in the rain, my dizzy is a 90° one so cant really get it the wrong side, however i do question the lead positions although im 90% sure its correct.

Dave Reed
17-01-2011, 08:07
Get the engine so No1 is at TDC then Remove the dissy cap and see if it pointing towards No1, not forgetting No1 is flywheel end. Then I think it's 1,3,2,4 ??? I'm sure someone with a manaul will correct this.

Also you can get the dissy 180 out but if you didn't remove the drive gear for the dissy/oil pump then you can't get it wrong.

Make sure you haven't adjusted a tappet wrong to.

I'd also be checking the plugs as 1 may have got damaged when you headgasket went.

Good luck.

djinuk
17-01-2011, 08:58
ahhh, i didnt adjust the tappets as i presumed they would still be the same as the head didnt require a skim etc, now im thinking they will need adjusting. didnt remove the dizzy drive gear when it was out, left it all be,, just removed the cap :) .

James5
17-01-2011, 09:42
ahhh, i didnt adjust the tappets as i presumed they would still be the same as the head didnt require a skim etc, now im thinking they will need adjusting. didnt remove the dizzy drive gear when it was out, left it all be,, just removed the cap :) .

:laugh:Sort the tappetts out first matey, rule of 9 this could be your problem easy mistake. I always reset mine when the head comes off.

Dizzy order is 1,3,4,2:agree:

djinuk
17-01-2011, 09:46
aight man , to be honest when i started it , it was a bit tappety, need to pop halfords for a fresh set of feeler gauges as last time i went to use mine the bloody things had gone rusty and i cant read the sizes.

soapymech
17-01-2011, 09:56
i know theres a renault special tool for this that bolts to the head,i have never used one but am curious to know if its a better way than feeler gauges:scratch:

James5
17-01-2011, 10:15
i know theres a renault special tool for this that bolts to the head,i have never used one but am curious to know if its a better way than feeler gauges:scratch:

Colin aka The Master is probably the one to answer that as majority of us have prob only used the feeler gauge method and suitable sized spanners and grips to hold the tappet in place when tightening.

djinuk
17-01-2011, 22:03
fixed, did tappets and still no joy, then noticed a lead arcing, swapped the lead job done.. so then i went out for some trouble free boosting fun :)

Kris M
17-01-2011, 22:31
Did you have those dog $hite motor facter silicone jobbies fitted? get a nice set of bougies on there ;)

djinuk
18-01-2011, 07:56
indeed they were actually a set of KTEC silicon leads, been trying to get a set of leads from 2 difffrent motorfactors my way, 3 sets of leads still the wrong ones.. for now its got a mix and match set which are doing the job :)