PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shocks

Ashy
09-01-2011, 21:51
I've been tinkering with my new 5 today and the rear suspension is really soft / bouncy. You can push it down witout much effort. The car is lowered but no more that any other 5 I've had before. I had a look under today and everything looks fine, the shockers are de carbon but are clearly fairly old.

What I'm wondering is... Is this a clear case of the rear shcokers being goosed? or could it be a problem with the torsion bar?

If its the shockers, what would be the best replacements, its just a road car so don't need anything fancy.

Cheers.

Woznaldo
09-01-2011, 21:59
Mine feels a bit like this Ashy. Kind of like the wrong diameter torsion bars are fitted? I've got Leda rear shocks on their hardest setting but the back end still feels a little soft to me and has caused some rubbing for a car that isn't lowered that much at all compared to some?

I'm going to measure the diameter of mine just to check. Does anyone know what diameter they should be?

J$£5GTT
09-01-2011, 22:06
hard to say...they leaking?..or sometimes the oil can pass the seals an emulsify that make them squidgy.

i have de-carbons there old to,but work and dont leak yet...when they need replacing i have some konis to fit,see how they fair,but in all fairness the oe shocks seem to give excellent service life.
:)

Ashy
09-01-2011, 22:26
Yeah I did wonder if they were the right diameter, I'll compare them to the other 5's one night throught the week. The shockers look old but they aren't wet. However, the cars been stood for a long time so they might of spilt their guts years ago. The only thing that made me think torsion bar is that both sides are the same.

Woznaldo
09-01-2011, 22:34
Yeah I did wonder if they were the right diameter, I'll compare them to the other 5's one night throught the week. The shockers look old but they aren't wet. However, the cars been stood for a long time so they might of spilt their guts years ago. The only thing that made me think torsion bar is that both sides are the same.

That's my thinking too. I have equal softness on both sides.

Woznaldo
10-01-2011, 22:43
Just checked my green Haynes Manual and the torsion bar diameter should be 20.8mm

Ashy
10-01-2011, 22:57
Just checked my green Haynes Manual and the torsion bar diameter should be 20.8mm

OK cool will check tomorrow night :)

Thanks.

Woznaldo
11-01-2011, 06:26
Just measured my torsion bars and there must be some kind of coating on them as I measured them at 23.40mm? At least that might give you a comparison?:crap:

Edit: Extra info...

Just had a look at my blue Haynes Manual and the figures are the same however, there are obviously two sets of bars on the GTT rear beam. The forward bars are the torsion bars and the rear bars are the anti-roll bars.

GTT Torsion Bar diameter should be 20.8mm (I measured 23.4mm)

GTT Rear Anti-Roll Bar diameter should be 23.4mm (I measured 26.6mm)

The uprated Torsion Bars come in either 23mm or 23.5mm and are not cheap!

Matt Cole
11-01-2011, 13:22
marrow, i have 2 no. good condition rear shocks for you. Unfortunately they are still on the car. If you want them, just shout.:agree:

Alastair
11-01-2011, 18:12
Just measured my torsion bars and there must be some kind of coating on them as I measured them at 23.40mm? At least that might give you a comparison?:crap:

Edit: Extra info...

Just had a look at my blue Haynes Manual and the figures are the same however, there are obviously two sets of bars on the GTT rear beam. The forward bars are the torsion bars and the rear bars are the anti-roll bars.

GTT Torsion Bar diameter should be 20.8mm (I measured 23.4mm)

GTT Rear Anti-Roll Bar diameter should be 23.4mm (I measured 26.6mm)

The uprated Torsion Bars come in either 23mm or 23.5mm and are not cheap!

Woz,'do a search, I posted all the info I got on rear beams on here, the uprated ones are rocking horse poo to get hold of but well worth it, if a little stiff! There is a plastic coating on them, measure At the very ends... There is no coating there. Pm me if you want any extra info...

Woznaldo
12-01-2011, 08:17
Thanks Alastair :agree: