PDA

View Full Version : Roll cage options...

Alex
31-10-2008, 08:33
I'm going to be investing in a roll cage for the GTT in the near future. I'll be using the car for some track days and possibly for some competition at some point, so I want it to be a decent one...

Can anyone confirm if the OMP cage needs the dashboard (or anything else) cutting to install it?

Has anyone got any tips on fitting them in general? At the moment I have all the interior bar the dashboard stripped. :)

jure
31-10-2008, 12:49
Two friends of mine have OMP rollcage and it fits without cutting anything. No special instructions how to fit it just make holes and tighten the screw like a man.

Woznaldo
31-10-2008, 13:26
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

OMP do at least three different cages for the 'Super 5', as they call it, and two of them pick up on the front suspension which would require the dashboard to be cut but, like already stated, you can buy one that is the basic bolt in job.

With all that said, if you do intend doing some kind of competition, you might want to check the rule books of each discipline to see want kind of cages are permitted.

Alex
31-10-2008, 14:30
Cheers for the info guys. I've looked in a few catalogues and I suspect the cage OMP do that would require cutting of the dash is their weld-in cage so I should be o.k. :)

richi
31-10-2008, 15:31
what about a chrome ktec half cage lol

Alex
31-10-2008, 15:40
:sad2:

Bod
31-10-2008, 19:32
what about a chrome ktec half cage lol
Not for track days not worth a :jerkoff:

Alex
21-03-2009, 17:51
Thought I'd bring this thread back to life rather than start a new one...

O.k. I have my roll cage (OMP bolt in jobby) and today we fitted it and it's all looking good. However, I think we're going to be unable to bolt the rear part down as the legs which mount just behind the driver/passenger are above the axle mountings therefore we can't drill through as they'd just hit the axel?

The rearmost legs are above the chassis rails (they don't mount on the arches) and again we're unable to drill through as they'll end up going into the chassis rail?

The only option it seems is to weld the rear part in. How have you guys fitted yours? pictures would be good if possible.

:scratch:

minty83
21-03-2009, 18:22
http://www.rtoc.co.uk/boards/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=2193
mines all welded including the a and b pillors

Alex
21-03-2009, 21:29
That's how I was expecting mine to fit, in which case they'd be no trouble in bolting it in...

alister
21-03-2009, 22:28
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I'm looking into getting a bolt in cage within the next week, so the omp cage is only bolt in if you drop the rear axel? The saftey devices one is just a straight forward bolt in then?

tubby5
21-03-2009, 22:47
i have a omp full cage and i drilled through the chassis legs(on the boot floor),the only probs i had was i had to cut the dash for the front legs and i had to make some platforms for the middle legs to bolt to.but apart from that im very happy with it:D

tubby5
21-03-2009, 22:53
i also never had to drop back axel:cooter:

Alex
22-03-2009, 09:10
You must have used some damn long bolts then! How long was the drill bit?! :D Have you any pictures at all?

The legs just behing the driver/passenger seem like a no go. How did you manage to get the bolts through with the axel mounting points being there? :scratch:

Andrew Cooke
22-03-2009, 09:36
what you could do is make a plate, weld nuts onto it, then make holes in the floor big enough for the nuts to pass through, retap the threads, bolt the plate to the cage, then weld the plate to the floor...

My front legs were done a bit like that, although they didn't weld the nuts, so it was areal arse to get the cage out :rolleyes:

Alex
22-03-2009, 09:53
I'm with you Andy, I was thinking about something along those lines. The only trouble I'd have with that is I'd probably have to remove the cage to slide the plates under the legs! :laugh:

I'll have to have a think about it, but may well end up just welding the rear part in. I just hope I don't have to remove it! :D

alister
22-03-2009, 13:53
damn, i was hoping a cage would just be an easy bolt in job, not welding plates in.
I was going to get my mate to fit the cage for me as i'm not in the country til the day before the trackday I just booked.
so any other cage options other than the omp that are a straight bolt in fit?
And my 5 has a sunroof, this going to be a problem?

tubby5
22-03-2009, 15:23
You must have used some damn long bolts then! How long was the drill bit?! :D Have you any pictures at all?

The legs just behing the driver/passenger seem like a no go. How did you manage to get the bolts through with the axel mounting points being there? :scratch:

i used threaded bar instead of bolts;) what i did was fit the cage then mark the holes,then take the cage out and drill the holes,once the they were drilled it was just a case of holding the drill square to drill right through the chassis(it was a pain in the arse getting the cage in and out.it took 3 of us)

i made a box section for the legs behiend the seats to sit on as they dont bolt to the floor.i will get a pic for you

Alex
22-03-2009, 18:35
Ah I see - good idea! Seems a bit of a pain though doesn't it, just to fit a roll cage :rolleyes:

I'd appreciate the picture mate, cheers.

Lovely GTT by the way...

tubby5
22-03-2009, 18:54
cheers mate, to be fare it was a pain and at first i thought they had sent me the wrong cage as its soo tight.i think it must have been designed to fit in a 5 with no interior plastics:rolleyes:

i will get some pics up tamoz for ya

w35ty
25-03-2009, 01:30
maybe a safety devices one or customcages?

rs250nut
25-03-2009, 13:29
Sorry to be lazy but where can this full weld in omp cage with front turret pick ups be obtained from? And how much?

Alex
25-03-2009, 14:56
Demon Tweeks. Not sure on cost?

Penfold aka The Dealer
25-03-2009, 15:01
OMP
http://www.ybracing.co.uk
Demon Tweeks

Safety Devices.
Mark Fish - http://www.markfish.co.uk/