PDA

View Full Version : car painting

jimmy_b
05-01-2011, 22:25
has anyone on here got car painting experience?
im thinking about giving it ago with a gun and compressor but as ive never done this before, any tips? process to go thought etc?

i know prep is the most important thing to achive a good finish. i intend to practice on some panels before i attack anything important though

rs250nut
06-01-2011, 12:58
has anyone on here got car painting experience?
im thinking about giving it ago with a gun and compressor but as ive never done this before, any tips? process to go thought etc?

i know prep is the most important thing to achive a good finish. i intend to practice on some panels before i attack anything important though

Re painting anything is quite an involved process to obtain a decent finish, as you say prep is a very important part even more so if filler is involved. Too coarse paper will leave shrinkage after the job is finished there is so much to the job. Keeping the job super clean another important factor.If you want to chat about it more give me a pm as there is too much to write here or give me a bell more than willing to help.:agree:

Sam Fish
06-01-2011, 18:47
Ive sprayed quite alot now.

To be honest, if I was just planning on spraying one car, Id save up my pennies and get somebody else to do it. But if you plan to learn the skill, and paint a few on the way then it may be worth starting.

I learnt from my Dad, and it took two or three car amounts before I was confident in most aspects. But its a constant learning curve, every time I pick up the gun.

I would say the learning curve when spraying is usually a painful one - polishing through, runs, dry patches, masking mistakes, sinkage etc..

gimme5
06-01-2011, 19:25
I was a profesional paint sprayer for ten years, and there is massive amount involved,if you do it yourself, thier will be nasties that you know are there when finished and it will start playing on your mind,do what your happy with,then get pro's to finish rest as its the prep that shines through!!!!! you wont get the same standard of finish in your garage compared to a garage that has £1,000's of
proper equipment and expertise,thats my opion but at the end of the day its what your willing to spend or afford as its not cheap,still do spraying in my spare time
look at my pics,might be able to make abit of money out of this:):)

scott 5gtt
06-01-2011, 19:53
I was a profesional paint sprayer for ten years, and there is massive amount involved,if you do it yourself, thier will be nasties that you know are there when finished and it will start playing on your mind,do what your happy with,then get pro's to finish rest as its the prep that shines through!!!!! you wont get the same standard of finish in your garage compared to a garage that has £1,000's of
proper equipment and expertise,thats my opion but at the end of the day its what your willing to spend or afford as its not cheap,still do spraying in my spare time
look at my pics,might be able to make abit of money out of this:):)

mate are you still painting ? my s1rst will be ready for paint after summer and after seeing the finish on yours at mallory i wouldnt mind you painting it ?? :agree:

gimme5
06-01-2011, 20:05
love s1 turbo's,painted one about 8 yrs ago,might beable to help, will see closer to summer:agree: as respray big job shell,panels,bodykit,and getting it to me?

scott 5gtt
06-01-2011, 22:29
love s1 turbo's,painted one about 8 yrs ago,might beable to help, will see closer to summer:agree: as respray big job shell,panels,bodykit,and getting it to me?

Thats sound will give you a shout closer to the time . No probs getting it to you i have a trailor. The guy i usually use is good but lacks that finess that your 5 showed if you know where im coming from

jimmy_b
06-01-2011, 23:10
ive been getting quote but they have been anywhere between £1700-3500
i picked up welding very quickly, and have done abit of prep, filler, sanding, wet flatting, mopping and polishing etc before, just never picked up the spray gun its self.

its something i would like to say i would do a few cars along the way but i wouldnt be happy doing anyones car untill i knew i had it down to an art.

5teve L
07-01-2011, 08:57
i picked up welding very quickly, and have done abit of prep, filler, sanding, wet flatting, mopping and polishing etc before, just never picked up the spray gun its self.

its something i would like to say i would do a few cars along the way but i wouldnt be happy doing anyones car untill i knew i had it down to an art.
Welding is a walk in the park compared to painting TBH.
As someone said above, it's the environment you paint the car in as well, needs to be as dust free as possible & you need heat lamps or an oven really as well. I know someone that does paint outside & it comes out ok, but not mint like a proper bodyshop does. I've painted bumpers & they've come out ok, not sure I'd take on a whole car though !

rs250nut
07-01-2011, 12:48

If your sure you could prep the car properly and have some where to paint it I could help you paint it no worries. Just a thought?

markey b
07-01-2011, 13:17
i've got a nice big unit james, u could just screen off a corner with plastic sheeting :)