PDA

View Full Version : is your 5 a daily?

jamie_clioGTT
03-01-2011, 17:43
as above.. how many of you use your 5 as a daily car?

i hear alot of stories about unreliability etc but my mate uses his tungy as a daily, looks after it well and has no problems at all with it.. (apart from breaking things because it's so low).

im hoping to use mine as a daily if the petrol prices f*** off.

LYNCHSTAR
03-01-2011, 20:52

i hear alot of stories about unreliability etc but my mate uses his tungy as a daily, looks after it well and has no problems at all with it.. (apart from breaking things because it's so low).

wouldent like to use mine daily to juicy on fuel.

BigDanC
03-01-2011, 21:08
pretty much everyday snow sun rain

love it

Mr Raider
03-01-2011, 21:44
Nah, mine isnt my daily, got Clio 172 Cup for that and running mrs & lil'un around in.

No reason why cant be daily driver as long as well looked after and set up correctly :)

wrightygtt
03-01-2011, 21:50
Mine runs better if its run daily, if i dont use her she sulks lol. By the way with the colder temps, mine is fooking flying at the minute ......:cool::agree:

J$£5GTT
03-01-2011, 21:54
why not walk to work instead..maybe take the bus or train..cycle even!
:D

Fishey
03-01-2011, 21:59
Use mine daily, even better with the fog, goes like fcuk! Only thing it doesn't like is shutting the doors when it is below freezing, takes a few slams!

Sparkie
03-01-2011, 23:27
too expensive on the petrol. 180 miles to £30 as of a few months ago - switched over to a Megane Scenic Dti 280miles to £30...

BriC
04-01-2011, 12:13
I'm using mine atm, as my daily is off the road (tyres are dead and waiting for new ones to be delivered).

It's fine in all weather tbh, and it's perfectly reliable, but I just prefer driving my other car 90% of the time, and I don't like leaving my Renault anywhere. Afraid it will get vandalised or nicked!

Mpg doesn't bother me, as my other car struggles to see above 20mpg around town :laugh:

Bass J
04-01-2011, 15:01
Well mines is a clio with a gtt engine in it. I managed 7weeks of running it to work and back and it only broke down twice :laugh:

One time ..an alternator belt flew off ..on the motorway in rushour ..so seeing that temperature guage climb wasnt fun!

Then went to start it to get home from work and the car wouldnt start..it then did and the throttle jammed open at full revs resulting in a bent pushrod(we think lol).... left it at work ..got a lift home from reco. Next day the AA towed it home ..that was 2months ago ..ive still not fixed it:laugh:

But in my opinion ...my answer ..for everyday ...nope :laugh::laugh:

HULK
04-01-2011, 16:23
Through the summer yes

through the winter a 5gtt is the most unreliable car ever IMO

carb freeze
central locking frozen solid constantly
takes ages to start
windscreen frozen on inside cos doors have dropped
front wipers or wash never work in the cold

alot easier to just walk

benj88
04-01-2011, 16:57
Through the summer yes

carb freeze
takes ages to start

alot easier to just walk

:agree: ya rite there hulk.

Last year winter I had to climb threw the boot because the central locking was frozen lol

jamie_clioGTT
04-01-2011, 17:14
well my c1j is going to be in a clio.. i use the clio now as a daily and have to climb through boot etc... LOL..

my mates tungy has better mpg than my n/a 1.4.. i would just get a daily but cant afford to insure two cars, especialy when i get raped by the nsurance for having a gtt converted clio lol.

craigy5gt
04-01-2011, 17:52
i used mine everyday for a year and a bit before i stuck on a group a carb POP:cry: i had no other probs :)

jamie_clioGTT
04-01-2011, 17:57
now thats what i like to hear... bar the pop bit lol

wrightygtt
04-01-2011, 17:58
Through the summer yes

carb freeze
takes ages to start

alot easier to just walk

lol but that all adds to the experience lol:laugh:

craigy5gt
04-01-2011, 18:00
just make sure you get the carb set up right ;)

Ron
04-01-2011, 18:12
Used mine daily come rain or shine! Coped with all the snow no bother. Recently overhauled the carb and i havent had any starting issues. Also managed to do 31 mpg on mixed driving!

djinuk
04-01-2011, 18:20
I drove mine as a daily for over a year.. to be honest it was damn good.. and i hardly ever lifted the bonnet..

J$£5GTT
04-01-2011, 20:09
Through the summer yes

carb freeze
takes ages to start

alot easier to just walk

sorry to here,you must have the cream of the crap...mines fine!!!!

Junglist
04-01-2011, 20:10

i dont use mine daily but i will have to soon as im moving and the mrs will need the mondeo :(,

though i used it from 2004 - 2007 almost every day and going from southampton to shropshire once a month ,
things that needed replacing;
windscreen mech, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, alternator and clutch cable and i think thats it :smokin: , only been on a tow truck twice , fingers crossed as im taking it for its first propper blast in ages across Germany next week ,:scared:

markey b
04-01-2011, 20:56
I used to have a raider as a daily, fmic and a bar of boost used to abuse it daily and never had a breakdown. did 10k in a year and would still have it now if I hadn't been offered good money for it. now run a clio dci that'll do 1000miles to £60, raider would do 200 :-(

tubbyG
04-01-2011, 21:00
1000miles to £60

sounds good to me:smokin:

benj88
04-01-2011, 22:31
My 5 is a daily btw, only until the engine came out for a rebuilt one to go in. iv pretty much replaced everything so should be fine when it's back together :)

ioshi_s_golf
04-01-2011, 23:14
I used to have a raider as a daily, fmic and a bar of boost used to abuse it daily and never had a breakdown. did 10k in a year and would still have it now if I hadn't been offered good money for it. now run a clio dci that'll do 1000miles to £60, raider would do 200 :-(

the Clio gives you 3.8l for 100 km or 60miles. The raider 12.8 or 13liters for 60 miles. For the raider and the clio is very good my r5 use arround 16 or 17liters for 60 miles :laugh: . My Gti 25 liters for 60 miles haha

5GTTurbo
05-01-2011, 12:16
Only thing it doesn't like is shutting the doors when it is below freezing, takes a few slams!

:laugh: i can identify with that!!

Smokey
05-01-2011, 13:11
I use mine daily and have for over a year, she hasnt been to bad just a few niggles getting her started in the real cold weather but no major break downs as of yet, although she hasnt seen much snow as i refuse to use her an would rather walk.

Mat

BriC
06-01-2011, 20:03
It's fine in all weather tbh, and it's perfectly reliable

Majorly jinxed myself there! It broke down this morning on the way to work :crap:

adgtt2010
31-01-2011, 00:38
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Had mine 15 months and it has never missed a beat the main power cable from alternater to battery shaped but a quick boge with the sub cable gud as new and its done just over 8500 Miles and had 2 oil and filter changes

Shane P
31-01-2011, 01:14
sorry to here,you must have the cream of the crap...mines fine!!!!

Lol, mine too. At least 150 miles a week, every week. I take it to work and back everyday, i pick up my friends children from school in it when their cars break down, i do the shopping in it, i do the mrs in it, bit weary about where i park it as there is no alarm, but apart from that all is well.

Spooky
31-01-2011, 01:58
i do the shopping in it, i do the mrs in it

:agree::wasntme:

michael tierney
31-01-2011, 20:02
i use mine daily through town ect...very hard on any car but how reliable do u expect a 20year old car to be.....preventative maintenance and close monitering is what its all about!!

Tony Walker
31-01-2011, 22:37
I use my picasso half the week and the 5 the other half. The secret is to use them often, if you leave any car things start to die.
It also balances out my mpg lol think im averaging at about 30ish.. but that is taking into account my picasso 41mpg.

TommyB
01-02-2011, 10:05
Used mine for the last 4 years, with no issues.:agree:

Bigfoot
01-02-2011, 12:11
Only time I used mine daily was driving too and from uni, that was 90 mile round trip each day 4 times a week, no real troubles apart from the normal alternator giving up and rad splitting :( then when finished uni started work 1.6miles down the road and was actually taking longer to start car and up then it was to drive it to work so sold it on :cry: now in process of putting together a Raider which I haven't decided on what im doing yet, its nice just jumping in the beemer and going to work without any worries or waiting for it to warm up a bit.

BriC
01-02-2011, 12:30
I used to use ones I've had in the past daily, and never really had any major troubles. Had the few odd bits like alternator belts, relays, etc and had to change a headgasket.

I couldn't imagine going back to using a GTT as a daily now though - I'm too used to reliable / refined BMW's! :coffee:

Rob1980
01-02-2011, 13:52
I use mine daily, every day it makes a fine table to store things on! :D

Thundercat
01-02-2011, 16:15
All the 5s i've rebuilt have always been used for work to iron out the little problems that occur. Can't wait to get my phase 1 on the road, but may be weather dependant as want the tin worm to be kept to a minimum. Me raider hopefully will be back on the road for the summer and it'll get abused daily.

Gibbo69
11-02-2011, 21:04
I'm using mine atm, as my daily is off the road (tyres are dead and waiting for new ones to be delivered).

It's fine in all weather tbh, and it's perfectly reliable, but I just prefer driving my other car 90% of the time, and I don't like leaving my Renault anywhere. Afraid it will get vandalised or nicked!

Mpg doesn't bother me, as my other car struggles to see above 20mpg around town :laugh:

bric: those alloys are amazing ... what make are they ?

wrightygtt
11-02-2011, 21:55
I used to use ones I've had in the past daily, and never really had any major troubles. Had the few odd bits like alternator belts, relays, etc and had to change a headgasket.

I couldn't imagine going back to using a GTT as a daily now though - I'm too used to reliable / refined BMW's! :coffee:

lol I used mine daily but also jinxed it and haven't driven it for over a month, I should of kept my mouth shut:laugh: