PDA

View Full Version : front wings

jonnyshaw49
02-01-2011, 16:27
hi i have taken a front wing off my r5 gt ready for repainting as i had an accident with a wheel falling off on a test drive smashing an arch and my mum gave a carpet away and the nutters dragged it over the front 2 wings of my car and never said anything!!luckily the bonnet wasnt on.i still have one wing to take off. when i took this wing off tho i noticed that there was only a sealant used at the top of the wing to hold it on below the windscreen which had been painted over on the repray i had, there was no sealant holding the wing on along the top edge where the 5 wing bolts are. also after taking the arch off the wing i noticed under the arch the wing isnt painted with topcoat, just the black primer you get when you buy a new wing etc . was the original wings like this?or were they painted behind the arch?just wondering if this wing is a replacement panel or an original. what you think?thanks

HAndy
02-01-2011, 17:59
when i pulled my front wings of, they where primed/undercoated and seam sealed on the top edge 5 bolts/screws and on the lower area of wing/side skirt area , as far as i can remember :scratch: dont think any of the inside of the 5 panels are finished so to speak :(

gimme5
02-01-2011, 20:07
It's a replacement,sealent run's right across the length of the wing (it's red if memory serve's me right) genuine wing also has renault symbol stamped on the wing near one of the top bolt hole's,and big headed rivets at lower part behide bumper and at bottom of wing. When i worked at body shop saw a few of these get replaced and never had sealent reapplied,or use genuine parts and that was ten years ago:eek:

jonnyshaw49
02-01-2011, 23:26
yeh this must be as replacement as there was no sealer down the top edge of the wing and definately not red.also didnt see the renault logo.i noticed the gaps between my wings and bonnet are about 5 mm at least. with the replacement wings do they give bigger gaps to tolerate incase the car could have had a bump just so bonnets doors etc dont catch?im guessing that genuine wings arent available. how much and where can you get new wings? as the paint is flaking on my wings might be cheaper to buy new ones than spend hours rubbing it down. thanks

jonnyshaw49
10-01-2011, 23:01
anyone know who supplies front wings and how much? hadrians panels have discontinued them!!!! can you get original ones?

Tony Walker
11-01-2011, 20:59
Not dear from renault, around £30 each ish. been about 6 months since i ordered mine so i might be a little bit out, only prob is they dont come with the side repeater holes in, you have to cut these yourself. which isnt a very nice feeling doing it lol.

TNT ANDY
11-01-2011, 21:31
Or just leave them out?

jonnyshaw49
16-01-2011, 10:51
hi thanks for the replies. the renault dealer near me isnt supplying the r5 panels anymore they only have a few staff as they have laid them all off. and i really want a genuine panel because replacements always seem never to fit properly and dont line up. does cgb or anyone sell the wings?

James5
16-01-2011, 10:54
hi thanks for the replies. the renault dealer near me isnt supplying the r5 panels anymore they only have a few staff as they have laid them all off. and i really want a genuine panel because replacements always seem never to fit properly and dont line up. does cgb or anyone sell the wings?

Mike aka phase 1 16v turbo could prob do you a better deal than cgb matey:agree:

phase i 16 v turbo
16-01-2011, 12:59
Mike aka phase 1 16v turbo could prob do you a better deal than cgb matey:agree:

Thanks James, yes I keep OE wings in stock.

phase i 16 v turbo
16-01-2011, 13:10
Not dear from renault, around £30 each ish. been about 6 months since i ordered mine so i might be a little bit out, only prob is they dont come with the side repeater holes in, you have to cut these yourself. which isnt a very nice feeling doing it lol.

They are about £48 a side, but can do alot better deal.

jonnyshaw49
23-01-2011, 12:51
hi i have sanded one of my wings down to bare metal as the paint was flaking all over down to 320 grit and sanded an arch to 320 grit they are in good painting condition no filling needed. how much should i expect a body shop to charge to prime and paint them in 2 pac black? i have a friend of a friend who sprays and ive seen his work its very good. hes going to give me a quote just want to make sure its reasonable. for the other wing im going to buy a new one but the bodyshop arnt keen on cutting the indicator hole out what would best way be to do this? thanks