PDA

View Full Version : bonnet gaps

jonnyshaw49
27-12-2010, 11:20
hi can someone please do me a little favour and measure how many mm you have at each side of the bonnet between the wing and bonnet?or what you should have?i had a new slam panel welded in when had the bodywork done and the gaps look slightly too big for me or is this how they are? are you meant to trim the panel slightly when you weld them in or should they be a straight on job? appreciate the help thanks

5teve L
27-12-2010, 11:32
hi can someone please do me a little favour and measure how many mm you have at each side of the bonnet between the wing and bonnet?or what you should have?i had a new slam panel welded in when had the bodywork done and the gaps look slightly too big for me or is this how they are? are you meant to trim the panel slightly when you weld them in or should they be a straight on job? appreciate the help thanks
Are the gaps even all the way along ?

gimme5
27-12-2010, 12:40
just undo all the top bolts on the wings and push them gently inwards to you get desired gap around 3mm:agree:

jonnyshaw49
27-12-2010, 22:12
3mm???mine are around 10mm and fairly even all way up. can you just undo the bolts and pull the wings in?arnt they spot welded or glued or something? didnt wanna undo the bolts on the wings and scratch the new paint but if its possible ill do it .thanks

gimme5
28-12-2010, 07:52
ok around 3-5mm:) wings were glued from factory but i doubt that the bodyshop will have re-glued them, un-do nuts slightly and see if wing moves then touch up bolts after job done:agree: (dont use a ruler just run your finger along gaps till even)

Woznaldo
28-12-2010, 08:34
My bonnet sits low at the front right corner and the only way to change that would be drill the spot welds off the hinge and re-weld it higher. There just isn't enough adjustment in the bonnet hinge attachment.

As for the panel gaps, you could be there a very long time trying to get 3mm everywhere! I would just try to get everything even both sides. ;)

gimme5
28-12-2010, 09:05
elongate the holes on the hinge this will give you more ajustment:agree:

Ashy
28-12-2010, 17:46
I've just welded in my new windscreen surround and i was just trying the new wings on today. They arent genuine wings and the gaps between the wings and the slam panel on one side doesn't look right. Does any one have any pics of this area?

royz
28-12-2010, 18:40
hope this is of help. its from the renault bodywork book.