PDA

View Full Version : 3 Points for snow on roof!!

REGGY5GT
23-12-2010, 16:17
Apparently a friend of mine has just had 3 points and a 60 quid fine for having snow and ice on his car roof, i laughed when he first told me but he was adement it was true, i still am not sure of it but apparently the cop told him that it was a danger to him but mostly other drivers, if anyone can shine some light on this i would be very interested as it seems a bit harsh.:scratch:

Rob1980
23-12-2010, 16:25
It is in the highway code to remove all snow that could fall off into the path of other road users. Not to mention common sense, it is a danger all around as it could obstruct your own view.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069859

D4WNO
23-12-2010, 16:47
Good. The motorway at the weekend was a pain, kept getting hit with dirty slabs of ice/snow from other peoples cars. How hard is it to broom it off?! I managed without any problems and we had a foot of the stuff.

The idiots who only bothered to clear half their front screen and the 2 side windows need shooting

J$£5GTT
23-12-2010, 16:51
Good. The motorway at the weekend was a pain, kept getting hit with dirty slabs of ice/snow from other peoples cars. How hard is it to broom it off?! I managed without any problems and we had a foot of the stuff.

The idiots who only bothered to clear half their front screen and the 2 side windows need shooting

:agree:

Rob1980
23-12-2010, 17:02

I totally agree. Clearing my car roof took me about 1 minutes with a soft broom, :agree:

Bigfoot
23-12-2010, 17:53
When out driving, we parked up to drop some items off, when got back to the car cleared off the snow, but by the time got round the car it had built up loads as it was coming down that fast, was going round in circles, but yes definately hate people who dont clear down all windows so can see all round and the roof and boot so dont get hit but snow and ice which is even worse.

JRP
23-12-2010, 18:12
Thats true, britosh gas all week have sent morning texts out telling people about that and to clear vans! bit hard when you van roof is 8ft high!

Its important though, as when it turns to more ice than snow it can kill if it comes off your roof; when accelerating or turning if it were to hit a pedestrian or other car.

J$£5GTT
23-12-2010, 18:15
Thats true, britosh gas all week have sent morning texts out telling people about that and to clear vans! bit hard when you van roof is 8ft high!

Its important though, as when it turns to more ice than snow it can kill if it comes off your roof; when accelerating or turning if it were to hit a pedestrian or other car.

seen it all today,most folk have made the effort,but the car on the m'way earlier....:dearme:
as it got on an got up to speed huge parts were falling off..as we swiftly moved to middle driving lane....:D

Gttnutter
23-12-2010, 19:49
I've seen idiots with snow still all over there car and all over the front covering headlights etc and driving at night, stupid idiots! :sad2:

Mr Raider
23-12-2010, 20:34
Unless you have a convertible with the roof down... :D :cooter:

Moggy
23-12-2010, 21:01

well when your roof is 14m long and then 4.8m up in the air it can be quite hard :-P

but it does my head in when you see people who haven't cleared their side windows or only done 1/2 of their windscreen!!!

its like HELLO!!! they are windows for a reason!

REGGY5GT
23-12-2010, 22:31

easy one to solve that:laugh:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2604/3686639455_c306427af6.jpg

dan(the lad who got pulled) had wiped his bonet and all windows, but still had a tad on roof,copper must have had a grudge,lol.

D4WNO
23-12-2010, 22:49
Yeah there is but do you never overtake anyone on the motorway? :laugh:

REGGY5GT
23-12-2010, 23:08
not if theres ice/snow flying in the inside lane:laugh:

no seriously now peeps, i dont see how the police can enfore that as what if its snowing heavily and your in slow moving traffic the snow will build up, the one that fuc3s me off the most is when the ice buildup from the arches fall off the car infront and hit my bumper, another thing ive noticed is a couple of brand new cars have folded/creased theyre own wings down by the mudflaps due to ice buildup against the arch lining and wing and being left overnight to go rock hard, then lock to lock movement first thing in the morning damaging the wing, so thats another to look out for.http://www.rtoc.org/boards/images/smilies/smash.gif

Rob1980
24-12-2010, 09:18
not if theres ice/snow flying in the inside lane:laugh:

no seriously now peeps, i dont see how the police can enfore that as what if its snowing heavily and your in slow moving traffic the snow will build up, the one that fuc3s me off the most is when the ice buildup from the arches fall off the car infront and hit my bumper, another thing ive noticed is a couple of brand new cars have folded/creased theyre own wings down by the mudflaps due to ice buildup against the arch lining and wing and being left overnight to go rock hard, then lock to lock movement first thing in the morning damaging the wing, so thats another to look out for.http://www.rtoc.org/boards/images/smilies/smash.gif

You just asked if it was true and we have said that it is. I would hope that the police would use common sense in certain situations but so also must the driver. However thats the problem with common sense......Its not all that common!!

modfather
24-12-2010, 09:59
You just asked if it was true and we have said that it is. I would hope that the police would use common sense in certain situations but so also must the driver. However thats the problem with common sense......Its not all that common!!

:agree: im pritty sure if its snowing at the time the police wouldnt do anything, but if you have a tonne of snow on your roof before you go on your travels you should clear it off, i do it while the car is warming up. you have to be a bit der if you drive along the road with a load of snow/ice on the road its a danger to other people