View Full Version : out of ideas - r5 guru(s) needed

jimmy_b
21-12-2010, 23:44
still having problems starting my car. its taking a good 3-4mins from cold

symptons - cranks but wont fire. pump throttle twice with ign off, turn to start, engine fires for a split second and dies. if you try to catch it with the throttle it kills it instantly.

how i have to start it - pump throttle, crank engine over, pull up choke very slowly (no choke flap fitted,used as fast idle). do this normally about 5-6times before it will start to run on 2-3 cyl. keep pulling choke very slowly untill about 2000rpm when it will run on 4cyl. touch throttle and it dies instantly. at first revs will run at 1500-2000rpm for about 10seconds then engine dies. keep repeating untill it will idle smoothly at 1500rpm. once running it suffers from lots of hesitation and lack of power untill warm, when throttle pushed, revs die for a second then pick up (almost stalls).

once engine is warm it starts fine with a pump of the throttle, drives fine, boost fine and temp sits just below fan cut in on dash, as it always has done, and fueling seams to be all ok.

things ive tried so far
- rebuilt and rejetted my carb (0.9 a/c , 1.2 main, 1.0 f/s, 1.2 s/s)
- checked engine earths
- replaced battery
- changed spark plugs
- blocked off breather on rear of inlet as one-way valve was cracked
- checked and adjusted valve clearences
- checked for airleaks

anymore ideas as im totally out now

:confused::(

Scoff
21-12-2010, 23:47
You have a 1mm main jet and no choke flap ? Sounds to me like it might want more fuel when it's cold. What happens if you put the flap back in ?

Scoff
21-12-2010, 23:49
hesitation or dieing when you touch the throttle is either too little or too much pump effect. Check the operation of the pump jet and its calibration.

jimmy_b
21-12-2010, 23:49
sorry now edited. i think its a 1.2 main, although at most its a 1.3

jimmy_b
21-12-2010, 23:51
What happens if you put the flap back in ?

not tried this yet. need to get some new bolts for the choke flap and spindel

Scoff
21-12-2010, 23:52
sorry now edited. i think its a 1.2 main, although at most its a 1.3

OK, I think even at 1.2mm you'd need the choke flap in cold weather. At 1.3mm maybe not so much :)

jimmy_b
21-12-2010, 23:59
hesitation or dieing when you touch the throttle is either too little or too much pump effect. Check the operation of the pump jet and its calibration.

as for checking the acc pump. when i rebuilt the carb i put a 5mm drill bit inbetween the throttle butterfly and the venturi. at 5mm the acc pump was at full movement. should it be full movement or just starting to move

Nick k
22-12-2010, 00:00
not tried this yet. need to get some new bolts for the choke flap and spindel

I'd agree with scoff about the choke flap if its running fine when up to temp! It is bloody cold atm so no flap ain't going to help.

jimmy_b
22-12-2010, 00:06
its been doing this since before this cold weather (last 4-5months really), cars always kept in the garage when not in use. i shall try and find some new screws to refit the choke flap and give that ago next :agree:

Scoff
22-12-2010, 00:06
as for checking the acc pump. when i rebuilt the carb i put a 5mm drill bit inbetween the throttle butterfly and the venturi. at 5mm the acc pump was at full movement. should it be full movement or just starting to move

just starting to move, so maybe your blowing the spark out with a tonne of fuel :)

djinuk
22-12-2010, 07:35
if it helps, i have standard 1.2 main, with no choke flap, and i dont really have any major issues.. some times it will struggle to start , much like all the other r5s i hear, and unless you drive it like an old car (blip blip throttle) then it will die, but your only talking about the same experiance ive had with just about every other old carbed car ive drove.

is it maybe worth chuking a known working carb on , just to see how it reacts.

djinuk
22-12-2010, 07:38
just starting to move, so maybe your blowing the spark out with a tonne of fuel :)

I think i may have also set this wrong as i set it full compressed..

carb haynes manual quote
'the accelerator pump lever should be at the end of its travel with the drill inserted'

I presume thats what it meant.

doggydowg22
22-12-2010, 17:11
Jimmy Where are you from?

jimmy_b
22-12-2010, 19:06
Jimmy Where are you from?

im in bury st edmunds in suffolk

i wanted to try a good known carb a while ago but was unable to sorce one locally which is why i went for the full rebuild on this car. it never used to have this many probs starting then just started after not being used for 2 weeks

doggydowg22
22-12-2010, 21:53
If you was local id say you could use my carb as il be taking it off soon,maybe another local member would let you borow one ;)

markey b
23-12-2010, 10:16
i said about 2 months ago ya acc pump was adjusted wrong :cooter:

5mm play before it opens :smokin:

jamie_clioGTT
23-12-2010, 18:39
i said about 2 months ago ya acc pump was adjusted wrong :cooter:

5mm play before it opens :smokin:

question answered??

im intrigued as being a noob to the c1j, hopefully by the time ive read the boards i be a guru haha

Woznaldo
23-12-2010, 22:44

I thought it had to be fully depressed with the 5mm drill bit inserted? If this is not the case, I've definitely got mine set up wrong? :(

Russ B
23-12-2010, 22:45

I've always adjusted mine to full travel with the 5mm shaft inserted. Never had any probs :confused:

The tech docs in Dialogys for the Solex also state the accel pump should be at full travel. Are you saying this is incorect.

jimmy_b
23-12-2010, 23:21
I've always adjusted mine to full travel with the 5mm shaft inserted. Never had any probs :confused:

The tech docs in Dialogys for the Solex also state the accel pump should be at full travel. Are you saying this is incorect.

this is how all my carbs have been set up, but i shall adjust it tomorrow after work and see how it goes

jimmy_b
30-12-2010, 13:52
ive been abit lazy and havent yet done anything with the carb.

can anyone confirm the calibration of the acc pump??

should the pump be at full travel (compressed) or just starting to move?

markey b
30-12-2010, 14:38

:cool:

jimmy_b
30-12-2010, 19:09
choke flap refitted and starts perfectly, altho wont idle smooth on choke? once choke taken off wen warm enough idles spot on

bigdavec1974
01-01-2011, 00:20
Maybe too rich n can't really handle being choaked to well ?? Gl

Woznaldo
04-01-2011, 09:06
ive been abit lazy and havent yet done anything with the carb.

can anyone confirm the calibration of the acc pump??

should the pump be at full travel (compressed) or just starting to move?

Can anyone confirm the above?

James5
04-01-2011, 09:38
With the 5mm drill bit in place I have always set mine so that it is just pushing the accelerartor gasket fully compressed at this point and I have never had any issue once set at this.

And if that makes no difference, check that the ball bearing & small brass rod within the accelerator pump jet are moving freely/not caked in crud.

Eugein Offord
04-01-2011, 19:57
how about the idle jet..... quick clean only takes 30 seconds.....might help