View Full Version : Fixed rear compensator??

REGGY5GT
11-12-2010, 23:09
got round to fiddling round with my rear compensator today and got it unseized but as my gt is quite low i have no idea where to set the compensator, was talking to me mate today and he reckons a good way to do it is to do away with the spring completely and have a threaded bar from the compensator to the body and have the compensator in a (fixed position) and adjust it as you like, what are peoples opinions on this and has anyone done it?? if so how and pics would be brill thanks Tim

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
11-12-2010, 23:13
When I modified the brakes on Dave Clarks cup car, it was fixed in the way you describe.

REGGY5GT
11-12-2010, 23:17
yeh thats what i want to do you see matt, just wondered how people have done it,i think it would be easier to set up mate,imo.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
11-12-2010, 23:24
I should have taken a pic.
It's quite easy to do.....I've seen one inside the car with a big spring and a wing nut so you could adjust it like a bias valve.

REGGY5GT
11-12-2010, 23:27
is there anyway you can describe to me how its done or maybe even if you can find a random pic of the underneath of a 5 or similar and edit with paint mate, just want to have a go tomoz and want to get it right u see. thanks

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
11-12-2010, 23:31
I'll have a go in the morning mate, unless someone beats me to it....:D

REGGY5GT
11-12-2010, 23:35
oaky doaky matt thanks mate, im sure i read a thread on here once about it but must have been a while ago as i cant find it now, is there any welding involved as ive run out of gas atm?? thanks

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
11-12-2010, 23:47
No welding, bit of bending and a few nut/washers.
You basically bend a piece of threaded strapping, fix it through the redundant hole at the spring end with a couple of nuts and poke it through the spring hole in the moveable bracket.... Hope this makes sense.... If not I'lll pop a pic up tomorrow. Need sleep now..........zzzzz

REGGY5GT
11-12-2010, 23:56
ok cool, speak in morning matt, thanks dude

Tony Walker
12-12-2010, 00:08
The spring is just there to take a bit of vibration out of the adjustment when going over bumps. if your braking over bumps it could make the balance fluctuate. in reality i doubt it does much on a lowered 5, better to have the balance correct than not.

Matt Cole
12-12-2010, 09:57
Take it to an mot station and adjust till you have your desired front/rear ratio.On a lowered 5, the compensator spring will be under load, hence bias to the rear brakes. Not too good really as you only probabbly need 25% to the rears.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
12-12-2010, 10:54
Hope this helps......sorry for the drawings.....:ashamed:

Pic 1 Normal compensator.......
Pic 2 How it sits......
Pic 3 Make a bracket......
Pic 4 all done. Heavy spring between bracket and compensator arm.

Matt5@codered

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
12-12-2010, 10:58
The one I saw inside the car is in the Group A prep manual.....

Pic.

REGGY5GT
12-12-2010, 13:43
oh, now i get it, cool, right im off to make me a bracket now,lol, thanks again peeps especially matt for the pics:agree: