PDA

View Full Version : Help!White smoke

MH Vehicle Solutions
10-12-2010, 19:46
Recently fitted a catch tank to my 5 (like tonight) as i had oil coming from the swirl pot breather and burning off the turbo, since doing this i have had to abandon the car on the way home as it is pissing out white smoke!unsure if it is linked, last time i had this it was the turbo and i fitted a second hand one, so this could well have collapsed. I fitted the uprated head gasket etc and rebuilt the head, just wondering what else would cause this or if anyone had any advise or where to start?Im going to recover the car later and go through it tomorrow and see what the cause is, but its plooming out smoke:confused: cheers guys any help/advice would be appreciated

J$£5GTT
10-12-2010, 20:03
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=17440&highlight=smoke

djinuk
10-12-2010, 20:41
very interesting.. i changed my breater setup.. i blanked off the drain to sump on the drivers side, and blanked back of inlet, then i ran a hose from the rocker to a catch tank..

one week later i post this.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=19391

quite quickly i put it down to h/g and stuck it in the garage but i may have to look back across it from the sounds of things.

Tony Walker
10-12-2010, 21:01
blocking the sump breather isnt a great idea, sump and rocker cover should both be vented to a catch tank or swirl pot and rebreathed.

djinuk
10-12-2010, 21:10
i think i best get a comp test done to see whats happening..

Tony Walker
10-12-2010, 21:14
Does your expansion bottle smell of exhaust fumes? If water is passing in to your exhaust then you can gaurantee the cylinder pressures are far higher than the coolant pressure so............. you end up with cylinder gasses in the water. But please dont worry about the steam from your exhaust. concentrate on other signs more. Compression test is also a good idea. Also check which cylinder is missing by pulling the leads off with insulated pliers. find the dodgy cylinder and check the plug from it.

djinuk
10-12-2010, 21:26
i whipped the header tank cap of and it did smell slightly, the rocker cover had small signs of mayo however it could be down to sitting quite often, ill check with regards to which ones missing, a few weeks ago my rotor arm snapped and took some goudges out of the dizzy cap so it might be half to blame for the probs.

Tony Walker
10-12-2010, 21:29
would definetly replace cap and rotor then. only pennies from factors.

djinuk
10-12-2010, 21:33
my biggest problem is its a 90° cap, and im not sure what vehicle its off.

MH Vehicle Solutions
11-12-2010, 14:26
I piped my catch tank inline from the swirl pot, so i have a rocker breather going to swirl pot ontop of sump breather tube, then a pipe coming from swirl pot going to a tee which goes to inlet manifold, then off to a small breather filter. I spoke to a few guys at work and they said to cut into the pipe going from swirl pot to the tee, and fit the two pipes from the swirl pot into this, so it basically sits inline. I am just wondering if this is correct????My concern is that i had to fit reducers to use the pipework/fittings that came with the kit, and the holes in the middle of them are only 6mm, so i am wondering if this is the cause, assuming the pipework is right, any help would be great :) im going to have a look at it later, cheers

Tony Walker
12-12-2010, 00:10
The idea of the catch tank is to catch the vapour being forced out in to the tank rather than being breathed through the engine. blank off the pipe to the inlet manifold and have the sump/rocker breathers straight in to the tank, up to you if you use the swirl pot or not. will just help collect and return oil to sump.