PDA

View Full Version : Lean mixture?

monocat
08-12-2010, 23:14
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hello.

I got one question. What are exactly the symptoms of a lean mixture?

Have searched the threads, but did not succeed in finding a list of symptoms for too lean or too rich mixture. Can somebody explain?

My car has the symptoms bellow. Please excuse me if some of them are a normal behaviour, this is my first GTT and i do not know many people from which i could learn about these cars :)

- it has problem idling after start, especialy now that it is cold, i have to use the choke for few minutes and then push the gas pedal to get more than 1500 rpm for 5 or more minutes. Without that it does cut off after a few seconds if the rpm are bellow 1500. Only after that i am ready to drive.
In summer it is necessary to idle for few minutes also, without that the car hesitates heavilly.

- in warmer weather it gets hot quite quickly when idling, or driving slowly, when i drive normally, the temp is OK.

- the car hesitates sometimes, especialy when shifting from 1st to second gear

Anything worth checking out?

J$£5GTT
08-12-2010, 23:31
hi anton,i think the things you describe are fairy normal for a gtt,different cars do have different characteristics though and everyone has there way of starting up there car from cold and letting it get up to temperature.

its been -3 an lower where i live at times an the 5 takes a little choke an hold the revs at about 1200-1500 for few mins to,then just drive it steady an let it warm up,mine hesitates a small amount when very cold,thats a carburettor for you!!,something you get used to.

you can check that when you put your choke in that it is actually fully returning at the carb to,maybe give the carb a check over for leaks etc,hoses going to it.

also in warmer weather as long as it does not over heat an getting to warm,fan cuts in as it should and the radiator is flowing nice and keeping things cool.

:)

michael tierney
09-12-2010, 20:56
they do hesitate slightly probably because its a combination of low compression and carburation but it should'nt hesitate between gears...check your mixture is'nt too weak at idle and check ur accellerater pump action!:):)

REGGY5GT
09-12-2010, 21:26
B18FT it!!!:coffee::coffee:

monocat
10-12-2010, 22:15
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

they do hesitate slightly probably because its a combination of low compression and carburation but it should'nt hesitate between gears...check your mixture is'nt too weak at idle and check ur accellerater pump action!:):)

Thanks for the info. Although, i have no way to check the mixture it objectivelly. That is why i would be interested toknow the other symptoms of a weak mixture. I do not want to adjust for a richer mixture without being sure the mixture is lean now :)

May be a symtom - the car idles quite roughly, even it shows 800 rpm, when i step on the gas slightly, it is ok.

Thundercat
11-12-2010, 12:53
Hi, it want harm anything to set the mixture a little richer on idle, just trying tweeking the mixture screw a quarter to half of a turn anti-clockwise. You will find if the car is running lumpy at idle and was running lean that this will improve the idle. There be no harm done and if it doesn't improve things just turn screw back. Hope this helps.

monocat
12-12-2010, 00:28
Hi, it want harm anything to set the mixture a little richer on idle, just trying tweeking the mixture screw a quarter to half of a turn anti-clockwise. You will find if the car is running lumpy at idle and was running lean that this will improve the idle. There be no harm done and if it doesn't improve things just turn screw back. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot! Tried turbing the screw 1/3 anticlockwise, the idle is definitely improved, it is also starting more easily, it also hesitates less than before.

I wonder if I should try to turn the screw a little more , can you advice me what are the symptoms / dangers of a too rich mixture?

michael tierney
12-12-2010, 19:09
too rich at idle wont really cause any problems(only if idling too long might blacken the plugs)it will make fuel consumption too heavy!