PDA

View Full Version : New from New Zealand

far4ngn
07-12-2010, 07:11
First post!

Hi all,

I thought I better join as I'll be needing your advice now that I've bought my first 1986 Phase 1 Electric Blue R5 Turbo.

Overall its in pretty good condition, its been off the road for a while and only has 50k on the clock.

On the downsize, the engine has been out and alhtough it runs, the last owner appears to have a number of pipes not connected to anywhere...aaargh!

Where do I start, we only have about a handful of R5's down here, so I cannot even ask a fellow enthusiast.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
Paul

Penfold aka The Dealer
07-12-2010, 07:14
Welcome to the club :agree:

It would be best to get an engine bay picture up and we can help you from there....

Look here for abit more info..
http://rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=538

http://rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=68&d=1221290763
But this should get you started...

far4ngn
07-12-2010, 07:18
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Just found that old post on 'Hoses and where they go' as a start, the black and white pics afterwards will be good. Although why can you have two hoses for the same thing... I presume Turbo and non Turbo?

Well already I can see the heater core is turned back on itself...sorry summer here, so wouldn't know.

Even some of the hoses have been extended with garden hose...oh my!

far4ngn
07-12-2010, 07:33

Here is the car... still dirty as it arrived on a wagon.

I've also attached pics of the garden hose plus the last pic shows a pipe on the drivers side of the carb which appear to feed a small sensor bolted to the bulkhead??

Penfold aka The Dealer
07-12-2010, 08:13
Car looks nice, I am sure you will be able to sort out the car with help from this website and its members..

We have a member from Sydney....
http://rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=351

He maybe able to help with getting parts etc locally.

far4ngn
07-12-2010, 08:25

It looks as if the last pic tube could be the old boost gauge in the dash, someone has added a new one.

Also car starts and runs but choke off and its running at over 2000 revs, plus it gets too hot quickly. The water was bubbling to the turbo??

So need the tickover turning down.

UnstableCable
07-12-2010, 09:11
Hi welcome to the club!

Looks like a nice 5 any rust in it? My girl friends from Auckland but living over here and she cant belive the amount of rust in cars over here! I know your abit further south so it might be different but she says they dont salt the roads in the winter like we do here as they rarely even get a frost!

Anyway looks like your gonna have your work cut out with the plumbing! You have a water fed turbo that would have not been original on the car as phase 1's only had oil fed turbos. So looks like some ones customised the water system to do this, badly! Cant see the whole picture as cant see around the carb and front of the block in your pictures so it would be good if you could put a pic up of a overview of the whole engine bay.

Matt

phase i 16 v turbo
07-12-2010, 09:15
Hi welcome to the club!
she cant belive the amount of rust in cars over here! I know your abit further south so it might be different but she says they dont salt the roads in the winter like we do here as they rarely even get a frost!

Matt

I lived down south for a while, they grit the roads which isn't salt, but the stone chips it causes is a nightmare.

modfather
07-12-2010, 11:12
welcome to the club mate good luck getting your 5 sorted :agree:

RussellT
07-12-2010, 11:45
The first thing I can see is that the water feed to the turbo comes from the expansion tank thats not right.

that pipe should come from the middle of the water pump ? do you have the right water pump to run a water cooled turbo?

It looks like the pipe that should connect there is blocked off where it runs across the top of the radiator.

I think that you need a haynes manual good luck :coffee:

http://books.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=haynes+manuals+Renault+5&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=267&_okw=haynes+manuals+Renault+5&_oexkw=&_adv=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Postcode&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

phase i 16 v turbo
07-12-2010, 12:30
The first thing I can see is that the water feed to the turbo comes from the expansion tank thats not right.

that pipe should come from the middle of the water pump ? do you have the right water pump to run a water cooled turbo?

It looks like the pipe that should connect there is blocked off where it runs across the top of the radiator.

I think that you need a haynes manual good luck :coffee:

http://books.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=haynes+manuals+Renault+5&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=267&_okw=haynes+manuals+Renault+5&_oexkw=&_adv=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Postcode&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Phase I do run the water arse about face compared to the Phase II.

far4ngn
07-12-2010, 16:43

Also I cannot find the degassing chamber, do Phase 1's have them?

I did live up in the Ne of England before moving here, its rare to see snow in Wellington and temps only drop to about 2-3 degrees.

Summer is here however :) hence buying a project car!