PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood Mask

Jimmy5
04-12-2010, 13:44
Hi all

Have been given a kenwood mask KRC-859R and a 6 disc auto changer, am considering putting it in the 5 for the retro look (lol) Anyway when trying to see if it works the headunit spins round but I have no display. Anyone got any ideas (notice theres these replacement ribbon cables on ebay)

Cheers

James

TNT Tricky Nicky
04-12-2010, 16:02
if it's a mask it won't show the display until you put the "code" in, was a built in anti-theft system as you can not take the front off like most headunits

Jimmy5
04-12-2010, 17:44
Not good, my mate hasent given me a code :(

But I have all the instruction manuals etc

When it is switched on though i get a static sound through the speakers as if its defaulted to the radio setting

Is there anywhere where I can get it sorted? or is it better to just buy a new headunit and junk this one?

Cheers

James

modfather
04-12-2010, 18:16
do you have the yellow certificate for the stereo

Jimmy5
05-12-2010, 16:28
Unfortunately I only seem to have the instruction manual in about 7 different languages

There is no display at all and from what i can work out it should say code or there be four underscores?

This units been in me mates garage years and he says came in a car he bought a while a go so it did work at somepoint lol

James

modfather
05-12-2010, 20:17
have you wired it in ok some times the yellow wire needs to be put with the red wire. ive had that a few times before.:)

TNT Tricky Nicky
06-12-2010, 00:26
If it's spinning and has static it's wired well enough to work.

You're in the same position as my friend, hence knowing about them, personally I don't rate kenwood and I would choose either alpine or pioneer.

Knew the guys who worked in a car audio shop and asked them, they told me it will spin and give static so you know it's working, it won't ask for the code you just enter it and it will come alive and work as normal, unless it's been disconnected from the power source for a period of time and will need the code put in again. Obviously we didn't know what it was so they said for a few £ they could reprogram it, as far as I know he never did and was a few years ago now so I can't help anymore than that sorry

modfather
06-12-2010, 10:52
heres a link to a company that can unlock the kenwood stereo :)

http://www.radio-code.co.uk/kenwood-krc-859r-p773.html

Jimmy5
06-12-2010, 12:17
Cheers for the help guys - much appreciated

I will have a gander at that site

Cheers

JAmes

Jimmy5
13-12-2010, 20:16
Just got stereo sorted was ribbon cable £20 fitted so all good!

James

Brigsy
13-12-2010, 20:32
Ive got one of these badboys in the loft, still works too:D