PDA

View Full Version : Way of testing electrical parts

Jimmy5
03-12-2010, 19:54
Ok due to the weather I cant do anything on the 5 outside

But if I plug in a battery charger, can I use that as a way to test a few electrical components I need to see if are working ok? using the clamps on the positive negative?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

James

car.crash
03-12-2010, 20:14
It probaby won't work as the power will be tiny. Can't you just buy a battery or maybe use jump leads straight from a runnning car?

bones660
03-12-2010, 20:20
Ok due to the weather I cant do anything on the 5 outside

But if I plug in a battery charger, can I use that as a way to test a few electrical components I need to see if are working ok? using the clamps on the positive negative?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

James
yes mate . that would be one way of doing it . or just remove your battery from your car and use a set of jump leads . but be careful not to touch the clamps together or big sparks will follow . :agree:

Jimmy5
03-12-2010, 20:26
Cheers for advice guys

Just cant be arsed to get frozen this weekend!

James

Tony Walker
03-12-2010, 20:27
Think you'd have to let it charge the battery for quite awhile, you'd need a very good charger to power the systems without a battery. not sure what amp the washer motor is for example but there usually fused to 10amps its unlikely your charger can put out 10amps(probably not even 5amps). its worth a try, but dont think things are broke if they dont work.

jamie_clioGTT
04-12-2010, 18:15
cant find them on the net but no you can get them.. an ac to dc power inverter. so you plug it in your house and it gives you a 12v dc output with about 20 amps. handy piece of kit.

jamie_clioGTT
04-12-2010, 18:18
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=231

found them.