PDA

View Full Version : urgent help required, please :)

MH Vehicle Solutions
02-12-2010, 20:37
Hi guys, just done the headgasket on my r5 gtt, fitted uprated gasket and bolts and had not long been rebuilt so bottom end was checked but all appeared ok. Having put it back together, iv got oil coming from the oil breather side, which is then dripping on the exhaust manifold and burning. Is there a pipe i can have got in the wrong place or similar that would cause this?rings etc all ok and runs no smoke etc, but hoping something simple may be wrong?if anyone can assist that would be great, cheers

Tony Walker
02-12-2010, 20:39
what do you mean oil coming from oil breather side? is it coming out of the breathers? or leaking from somewhere?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
02-12-2010, 20:40
Rocker cover...? Split breather pipe...?
Photo...?;)

MH Vehicle Solutions
02-12-2010, 20:42
iv got a little K&N breather coming off the pipe work from the oil swirl pot, (if thats what its called) and there is oil coming from that?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
02-12-2010, 20:52
Unless its chuffing out of there really heavily, it may be just a build up in the filter, might be best to run a catch tank in the long run.

Tony Walker
02-12-2010, 20:53
check all your breathers are clear, check oil level isnt too high, how much oil is coming out prob best to use a catch tank rather than a filter. some pics would be helpfull :D

MH Vehicle Solutions
02-12-2010, 20:53
This is a photo of where the oil is coming from :)

Tony Walker
02-12-2010, 20:57
you should have a pipe coming from the sump up by the waterpump, then a pipe from the rocker cover, usually both going to a swirl pot then most peeps run a pipe from that to a tank or both pipes straight in to a tank that is no-where near the exhaust manifold.

TrixNFlix
02-12-2010, 20:57
Hard to see on that pic, but if that hose is just coming from the rocker cover to the filter then its gonna spray oil all over the bay.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
02-12-2010, 20:58
Catch tank....search for 'cup mod' etc in the forum, unless someone can pop up a pic of it.

MH Vehicle Solutions
02-12-2010, 21:04
thanks for all advice :) im just trying to work out why it didnt do it before?i will take some better pics and will have to look into getting a catch tank, just assumed that i could have piped it wrong as it never did it before i took the head off... :crap:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
02-12-2010, 21:10
Could be that the oil mist condensates and rests in the lowest part of the pipe, then burps out with a tad of pressure behind it.

MH Vehicle Solutions
02-12-2010, 21:13
just been out there again, iv got the swirl pot sitting on the tube coming up from the sump, then two pipes coming from it, the top one goes to breather filter (where oil is coming from and i should have a catch tank) and then is tee'd off and goes into the back of the carb, the other pipe goes to the rocker cover. I have just noticed that on the tee where the filter is connected, and it then goes off to the carb the pipe is split (at the tee), so this would mean that the rocker breather is connected through the the swirl pot then straight off to the filter, hence my problems??Hopefully!

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
02-12-2010, 21:14
Cool! see if it cures it!!;)

MH Vehicle Solutions
02-12-2010, 21:35
the pipe going to the carb was abit rough too, cut back and rejoined, ran with filter off (as its dripping!) and all seemed ok, i will have to drive it and let the existing oil burn off, clean it up and clean filter up, hopefully that will be that, thanks for all help and advice, is it ok to run with filter off for now?

Tony Walker
02-12-2010, 21:45
I'd try and locate it somewhere else so its not above the manifold, oil dripping on floor aint gonna bother u as much.

MH Vehicle Solutions
05-12-2010, 13:45
It's still doing the same thing :( although not quite as bad, i am looking for a catch tank now, wondering if someone could advise me of what sort of thing i need, i.e. how many outlets etc, at the moment i have two pipes coming from the oil swirl pot, one goes to the rocker cover breather, the other goes to tee which goes to the intake manifold, then the filter where the oil is coming from, would it simply replace the filter or do i have to alter pipe work etc?many thanks