PDA

View Full Version : heater fan

paulsurrey
02-12-2010, 11:23
hi all,my heater fan keeps making a right noise,sounds like it loose and rattling about then its fine,but then some times it just stops and i can smell a hot motor,so turn it off then turn it back on and it starts again make a rattling noise like its loose then is fine again,noticed it stops the most when it on the slowest setting like not enough power to spin it:confused:also the light on the heater controls dont work,is it just a bulb inside or is it a sealed unit??? thanks

djinuk
02-12-2010, 11:25
ive had 2 r5s both with really really noisy heaters so will be interested to hear responces.

car.crash
02-12-2010, 11:28
open the bonnet and in the scuttle area you will see the fan in the middle. remove the cover by undoing the 2 bolts. making sure the fan is turned off you can lift the fan up and out. check both connections are clean then replace the fan and make sure the 2 spades on the fan line up with the connectors in the scuttle area and the fan is seated nicely. check it work then replace the cover. i did mine 2 days ago and it was doing the same as yours.

as for the bulb in the switch you need to remove the ashtray and put your hand up the back of the switch and pull the bulb out. its a 501 sidelight bulb iirc.

Matt Cole
02-12-2010, 11:38
Most likely be the motor bearings. replace the fan assembly and be done.:agree:

Brigsy
02-12-2010, 12:04
Aye the bearings are shot, get one out of a campus or something and replace it. If stuck oiling the bearings makes them a bit quieter

rat1
02-12-2010, 12:07
Most likely be the motor bearings. replace the fan assembly and be done.:agree:

:agree::agree:yes it sounds like the bearing had gone .mine was the same the bearings had gone. replaced it but that one had a loud squeak pulled it out a good spray of wd40, is been dead quiet ever since:)

djinuk
02-12-2010, 15:13
is there no way of just replacing bearings?, im just not a fan of replacing a dead party with a already dieing part if you get me, sonner fix the problem rather than just get somthing with less of a problem

markey b
02-12-2010, 17:52
the bulb is a 509 bulb, tiny version of a 501, pull the bulb holder out the back of the dials and swap the bulb out

J$£5GTT
02-12-2010, 20:30
just take it out..im not running one car soon demists after a mile up the road an fire plenty heat into the car....cuz im hard innit...pah!!!! to the cold weather....:D:laugh: