PDA

View Full Version : journal bearing turbo?

SCHWARTZ
02-12-2010, 11:21
what is a journal bearing compared to a thrust bearing, ball bearing etc...? I assume it is a cheapy bearing and not very good. But you know what they say about assumptions:D

SCHWARTZ
02-12-2010, 11:33
also Is it possible to tell if a turbo has a journal bearing or ball bearing or journal and ball bearing by just looking at the turbo and not having to take it apart?:scratch:

James5
02-12-2010, 11:44
also Is it possible to tell if a turbo has a journal bearing or ball bearing or journal and ball bearing by just looking at the turbo and not having to take it apart?:scratch:

Gary to see what bearing the turbo has you would need take it apart matey,

SCHWARTZ
02-12-2010, 11:49
was hoping that wasnt the case.:sad2:

Brigsy
02-12-2010, 12:02
t2 fitment journal bearing turbos usually have 4 bolts holding the exhaust housing on, rollerbearing usually have 6 from what ive seen, also look down the oil return if possible.

rs250nut
02-12-2010, 14:42
Most of the Garrett stuff you can tell by looking at the shape of the chra. Also most rollerbearing turbos will have a built in restrictor in the oil feed thread.

SCHWARTZ
02-12-2010, 17:26
cheers fellas il have a look.;)

Scoff
02-12-2010, 17:40
a journal bearing turbo is a normal turbo - what your GTT came with, etc. Journal bearing turbo's have a thrust bearing that deals with axial load, the journal bearings are the bearings in which the shaft rotates. side-to-side play = worn journals, in-out play = a worn thrust bearing.

Ball bearing turbo's are all done with a ball bearing cartridge or whatever's in there, they don't have seperate journal and thrust bearings. There are some hybrids that have ball bearing bearings inplace of the journals but that retain a common 270deg or 360deg thrust bearing for the axial stuff.

SCHWARTZ
02-12-2010, 19:11
so im looking for a 360 thrust bearing at the very least, then ball bearing(comp)/ journal bearing with 360 degree thrust bearing(turbine), then full ball bearing turbo?

Scoff
02-12-2010, 19:17
so im looking for a 360 thrust bearing at the very least, then ball bearing(comp)/ journal bearing with 360 degree thrust bearing(turbine), then full ball bearing turbo?

I think you're a bit confused. Generally they are either journal or ball bearing. I've only seen a few non-garrett units that have been weird hybrids of the 2, so forget those for now. There isn't seperate thrusts for compressor and turbine. It's all on one shaft so it only needs one thrust bearing which lives just behind the compressor wheel. There are usually 2 journal bearings, one at the rear near the turbine wheel and one toward the front just behind the thrust bearing.

SCHWARTZ
02-12-2010, 19:33
yeah lol i did get it well pretty much:laugh: but my explanation is useless but il forget about the journal/ball bearing hybrids then.