PDA

View Full Version : clio 172 (time for some boost)

Adey aka Ewok
29-11-2010, 19:40
this is a quick bit to show people the latest clio build, this is my 3rd clio 172, first been a near stock 172 cup, then a striped ph1 on jenveys throttle bodies and catcams and this one, another early silver ph1 172.

this ones having something a little different, i loved the way the clio went on track and even more so with the last one putting out a fair bit over stock power so this one is having yet some more :D

how she was when i picked her up
http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/IMG_0158.JPG
after a few weeks when the kw coilovers were fitted, along with the inside stripped out. also thrown into the mix at the same time was a decat pipe, itg filter and a ktec stealth system. made the car handle a well and the engine sounded a little better, well untill a high pitched squeel aroze from the engine, lucky for me i caught the cam belt tentioner before it let go, so at 88k the belts were changed on my drive by a mate of mine, came down and did it at cost for me + macdonalds :agree: http://www.519automotive.co.uk/

how she rocked after some work
http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/front.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/side.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/rear.jpg
did a few basic things, ph 2 rear lights, cup spoiler, tow strap and painted the wheels, also fitted a bucket seat and dropped the steering rack lower, fitted a recon gearbox as mine had lost reverse. since the pics ive picked up a few bits and changed a few things, im at max camber adjustment up front before the tyre hits on the coilover and i spaced the rear stub axels and gave them some camber,+15mm each side, has made the car feel very safe in the corners but still feels like it needs more camber up front. and the supercharger kit :)

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/sckit1.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/sckit2.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/sckit3.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/sckit6.jpg
should see about 250bhp but will update as i go, should be on in the next few weeks :smokin:

SP33DY
29-11-2010, 21:11
Nice one Adey, nice to see some one DIY'ing a SC clio instead of just dropping the car off along with a cheque :laugh:

I'll assume this is KTEC's kit as I know Paul doesn't sell his as I DIY kit.

Who you gonna have map it?

It's a shame you had the cam belts done as maybe you could of slipped in some fruity cams to work with the SC kit :)

Please tell me you've had the keyway'd F4RT pulley inserted on the crank when Danny did your belts?

J8TRO
29-11-2010, 21:14
Looks good Adey, I'll be keeping an eye on progress. I'd like to know what it produces once the SC's fitted and your opinion having had TB's

Adey aka Ewok
29-11-2010, 21:23
Nice one Adey, nice to see some one DIY'ing a SC clio instead of just dropping the car off along with a cheque :laugh:

I'll assume this is KTEC's kit as I know Paul doesn't sell his as I DIY kit.

Who you gonna have map it?

It's a shame you had the cam belts done as maybe you could of slipped in some fruity cams to work with the SC kit :)

Please tell me you've had the keyway'd F4RT pulley inserted on the crank when Danny did your belts?

nope and nope, this is a kit that wasnt in the loop for very long, the problem with the rs tuning kit seems to be the use of the auto tentioner, this kit has been tried on a few cars and not one has slipped a bottom pully, going to be mapped localy at a place called mech repairs tho it will have a very good base map to start with. to be fair im looking to keep stock clutch and gearbox for now tho if i do fancy more beans at a later date im actually thinking of putting itbs on aswell, plus theres always the option of a little more boost tho the high comp ratio stops me going to far without opening up the engine. im still waiting on delivery of my intercooler and then im on the hunt for some meggy 225 injectors, at less than £50 each new i cant grumble to much

Adey aka Ewok
29-11-2010, 21:25
Looks good Adey, I'll be keeping an eye on progress. I'd like to know what it produces once the SC's fitted and your opinion having had TB's

ive driven both and i love the noise bodies make and the drive they give, the sc car just gives constant pull, odd to describe as it doesnt really let up, kinda like the clio having a 3 ltr engine in instead of a 2

SP33DY
29-11-2010, 21:49
Can't fault your logic mate, not convinced its the use of the Aux tensioner causing the actual pulley to slip. Think it's more to do with the extra rotational torque that the SC puts on the lower crank pulley.

Kit looks good and Jon was pretty happy with his once he had it mapped properly :)

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/SP33DFOUR/SC2.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/SP33DFOUR/SC1.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/SP33DFOUR/SC3.jpg

Adey aka Ewok
29-11-2010, 22:12
His was the development mule for it wasn't it? If so it's his one I've been in

SP33DY
29-11-2010, 22:33
Yeah his was the test bed, he did have a few issues with it but most of it was down to the mapping.

IIRC he did have one mechanical issue when the bracket broke but I'm not sure which part and he's since been banned from CS so I'm not sure how best to contact him.

Before he was banned he was claiming 249bhp at the wheels which TBH on stock internals is a little far fetched :laugh:

*Edit- I suppose the bracket failure could of been down to over tensioning the belt? or even over tightening the the alternator bolts, as that looks like the weakest area.

Adey aka Ewok
29-11-2010, 23:15
Yeah I know that part, was cured in later setups with an extra brace at the top of the alt adjuster. Really looking forward to getting it on. I think his made 258 fly so dnt think it would be 249 wheels, tho that was at .5 bar, might of ran more boost? Rs tuning used to push there's around 300bhp

markey b
30-11-2010, 22:56
my mate had his sc conversion done by rs, slipped pulled twice, so he bought their demo one, and that did it after a week

SP33DY
30-11-2010, 23:09
Yeah I heard of Danny's mishap, at least he's getting it sorted now

The F4R crank has a slot for a keyway pulley, unfortunatley due to the free floating nature of the cam pulley set up it isn't locked in. The F4RT's do have them locked in and I think you would be mental not to fit one for the small price it will cost. I'm suprised SidewaysDanny hasn't recomended this himself?

Adey aka Ewok
01-12-2010, 09:01
He has, tho I can't see in my head how the meggy pulley can work without having the crank keyed to suit? I haven't see the pulley yet, it will be done in time tho

Adey aka Ewok
01-12-2010, 10:03
Spoke to him, Clio crank is keyed just the Clio pully isn't, dnt cost much so will be on order next week

SP33DY
01-12-2010, 10:19
Oh well while you've got the cam belt off you might as well drop in some cams :D

Adey aka Ewok
01-12-2010, 11:41
If some came up cheap I might consider it tho dnt think I need them

Ashy
01-12-2010, 12:43
there is a key way in the 172 crank and pulley, I wonder if you could just buy a bit of key steel from cromwell tools and make a key? Save buying a F4R bottom pulley?

Adey aka Ewok
01-12-2010, 12:46
Really? I've got loads of key steel here at work, dnt spose uve got a pic or sizes do you?

SP33DY
01-12-2010, 13:37
Oh the joys of being a metal basher :)

I didnt have that luxury when I did mine, and I didnt think to take a photo of the megane pulley either :(

Adey aka Ewok
01-12-2010, 14:26
Nah not really a metal basher, just have access to a fair bit and I'm pikey and dnt like paying for stuff, if I can do it for free I will

HAndy
01-12-2010, 17:33
just out of interest is the idle pulley wheel tensioner ,above the main crank pulley standard on the f4 set up?

and would it fit on the f7,it seems to share the same water pump judging by the pictures,im guessing the crank cover plate is the same also :scratch:

would be a bonus if it did, that would add a bit of tension to my belt set up:D
part number anyone?:)

great car by the way,nice to see something stealth and different on the a clio:cool:

Adey aka Ewok
01-12-2010, 21:19
the onein the pics is part of the kit, it uses a ford idler pully on a custom bracket, ill take a look under the bonet of the clio tomorrow and see what the stock setup is like and let you know

HAndy
01-12-2010, 22:36
:cool::agree: do well

Ashy
01-12-2010, 22:50
Really? I've got loads of key steel here at work, dnt spose uve got a pic or sizes do you?

I've got all the bits loose, if i could find my vernier I'd happily measure it for you. Are you in a hurry, might be able to do it at the weekend?

Matt Cole
01-12-2010, 23:06
there is a key way in the 172 crank and pulley, I wonder if you could just buy a bit of key steel from cromwell tools and make a key? Save buying a F4R bottom pulley?

Do Reno not sell the key?? I used to make loads of keys from keyed steel for petrol compressors. Depending which way the grain ranl some would last and others would shear.

Unless the key is just rectangular or square then that would be easy enough.

Adey aka Ewok
02-12-2010, 06:54
I've got all the bits loose, if i could find my vernier I'd happily measure it for you. Are you in a hurry, might be able to do it at the weekend?

No rush atall bud

Adey aka Ewok
05-12-2010, 11:25
not much has happened yet, still waiting on some parts to turn up, intercooler was ordered 2 weeks ago but hasnt appeared :( belts now on order, injectors have been sourced but am waiting on the gents details so i can pay for them and the belt and traction fluid are on there way. hopefully should have everything i need in the next week to then start the install. also got a ported rs lower inlet on its way with a set of ptfe gaskets to help it flow a little better, not sure if it makes much difference on a boosted application but slightly better breathing has to have some gains?

SP33DY
05-12-2010, 11:48
I had a look round Jons SC Clio yesterday as he turned up to a rolling road day at RS tuning.

Looked pretty tidy, not sure about the traction fluid bottle behind the off side head lamp which makes changing bulbs impossible with out stripping stuff off.:crap:

Think it made 236 at the fly.

c7borg
05-12-2010, 12:26
t. and the supercharger kit :) should see about 250bhp but will update as i go, should be on in the next few weeks :smokin:

How much was this little piece of kit if you don't mind me asking?

Adey aka Ewok
05-12-2010, 12:28
I had a look round Jons SC Clio yesterday as he turned up to a rolling road day at RS tuning.

Looked pretty tidy, not sure about the traction fluid bottle behind the off side head lamp which makes changing bulbs impossible with out stripping stuff off.:crap:

Think it made 236 at the fly.

not bad figures atall, any idea what boost that was at? silver car yeah? well over 100k on it? bottle can go where ever you like

Adey aka Ewok
05-12-2010, 12:29
How much was this little piece of kit if you don't mind me asking?

retail for the charger unit is between 1400-1600 i think

HAndy
05-12-2010, 14:42
so if somebody takes the plate dimesions/ makes a template, and sources the rotrex else where... :cooter:

how much are those rotrex units new ??

Adey aka Ewok
05-12-2010, 18:33
That was the price for the rotrex unit

HAndy
06-12-2010, 20:39
That was the price for the rotrex unit

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

think i will stick with my eaton:laugh::laugh::wasntme:

Adey aka Ewok
06-12-2010, 20:53
i looked into them but i got this lot new and a price i couldnt refuse

Adey aka Ewok
15-12-2010, 20:33
Any one help me out with the part number for the meggy 225 bottom pully please?

Adey aka Ewok
21-12-2010, 18:38
not much going on with this at the mo, snow is killing deliveries of bits and knowing my luck they will be lost. ordered a meggy 225 bottom pully from renault so thats sorted, still waiting on the rs inlet and ptfe gaskets and the injectors, add them to the belts fluid and sensors that are sat at the workshop i cant get too and it equals me not having my supercharger fitted over crimbo :disagree: only thing thats actually got to my door is this

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/intercooler.jpg

ling long intercooler, should do the job ok so thats one mor3e lhing off the list. kinda a blessing as we took on a last minute job at work and i managed to nearly chop off the end of my middle finger, aparently lucky not to of lost it tho it was hanging off and the bone is broke so not really in a position to be getting oily and grubby any way and i dnt think i could of got far with one hand.

plans in the pipe line are to pick up another block, crank and pistons so i can build up a lower comp engine with forged rods in, i will be using stock pistons with a slight shave to lower the comp a tiny bit so that should keep me entertained for the first few months of next year. still undecided what to do head wise, the ph1 172 head has the bigest exhaust ports so say and i have one on my current engine but looking at a 197 head the inlets seem HUGE so tempted to maybe fit a 197 head to a lower comp (10-1 10.5-1 ish) 172 bottom end, decisions decisions :confused:

TNT Tricky Nicky
21-12-2010, 20:12
I've only seen one car with a head converted to the 197, think it was a 182 from either new Zealand or Australia, made good power but said it was a right arse to do but not impossible, obviously!

It would be different and worth doing along as you get more bhp/£ compared to what's achievable with a 'normal' head.

Bad news on the finger, hope it doesn't hold up progess too much

SP33DY
21-12-2010, 21:08
From memory the lad from OZ only fitted the inlet manifold from a 197 and the ball ache was enlarging the inlet ports to match.

As for simply fitting a 197 head, it's not as straight forward as it seems, the f4r 738 has the water pump running from the aux belt, the f4r 830 has it running off the cambelt.

Adey aka Ewok
21-12-2010, 21:16
i think all i need to do do is add an idler pully to the head

SP33DY
21-12-2010, 21:51
We did that with Andy's 225/182 hybrid and it massively over tensioned the belt. :(

You'd really need to sit down and take the measurements of both engines to work out a good solution.

However after Scoff blew 500+bhp through a OE inlet manifold I wouldn't be to concerned about swapping it out.

Adey aka Ewok
22-12-2010, 07:45
Ahh not to good then, will take a better look when I get to the point of building, just ideas at the mo

Adey aka Ewok
31-12-2010, 08:55
not much gone on the past week, ported rs lower inlet turned up, so i fitted that on tho till im back in work i cant match the upper part, doesnt look to hard, the lower section has just been taken out to the gasket, suprising how different the stock one was to the ported item

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/stockinletresize.jpg

vs

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/rsinletresize.jpg

meggy 225 injectors also turned up and a friend picked up a meggy 225 keyed pully for me from renault, borrowed the cambelt tools and thats about as far as i got, cant do too much else without the other sc bits so i got bored and painted my wing mirrors and front diamond.

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/badge%20resize.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/carresize.jpg

need to decide what to do with the wheels now? just forked out for 4 new tyres on her as the 4deg rear camber wears them a little, might drop that back to about 3, also waiting on some front spacers so i can dial alittle more in, im using camber bolts at the mo and the tyre is almost on the spring seat so using spacers will give me a wider track and more adjustment, id use adjustable top mounts but im being cheap and havent found any come up second hand :agree:

Adey aka Ewok
31-12-2010, 08:57
sorted

Andrew Cooke
31-12-2010, 09:06
why are mictures so big:confused:

because they're 1.7Mb...

try resizing to 800x600

Duncan Grier
31-12-2010, 09:57
Looking good Adey, would be better with a vag tsi conversion mind :D:cooter:

DG

Adey aka Ewok
31-12-2010, 10:27
keep it renault :agree: tho id love to do an sr20det front engine rwd conversion into a clio.

Ashy
31-12-2010, 11:30
i will be using stock pistons with a slight shave to lower the comp a tiny bit so that should keep me entertained for the first few months of next year.

Do you need a set?

Adey aka Ewok
31-12-2010, 11:32
ive got enough pistons here, unless you mean a set shaving down slightly?

Ashy
01-01-2011, 00:27
ive got enough pistons here, unless you mean a set shaving down slightly?

Nah, just meant i've got the engine in bits so if you needed a set of pre machined ones.

Adey aka Ewok
01-01-2011, 16:57
Anyone got a pic of there 172/182 crank? The meggy pully doesn't fit, it's completely different as the key is cast for a slot on keyway the the Clio crank has a drop in keyway, not sure if mines an oddball as everyone says the meggy pully slots on

Scoff
01-01-2011, 17:05
I'm pretty sure theres a slot for a key on the 172 crank, it just isn't used.

Adey aka Ewok
01-01-2011, 17:08
There is yeah, but it doesn't work with the meggy keyed pully like everyone has said it does, that makes me think it might be an odd crank, I'll post pics to show what I mean

Adey aka Ewok
01-01-2011, 17:21
http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/IMG_0695.JPG

top pully is the one that was on the clio and the bottom one is the meggy item, and the key is cast into it so cantbe moved.

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/IMG_0696.JPG

and you can just make out that the crank hasnt got a slot on keyway, either everyones been saying itll work but hasnt tried it (duff info) ive got the wrong part (tho have the known part number for it) or its an oddball crank?

can anyone confirm that theres looks like this one? i could make a key up for it just a pain now ive got the pullys and im not in work till next week to do it

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
01-01-2011, 17:29
You just need a woodruff key for the crank and use original pulley... no?

Adey aka Ewok
01-01-2011, 17:33
yeah, just would liked to know how ive got a mix up and £100s worth of useless parts :agree:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
01-01-2011, 17:54
yeah, just would liked to know how ive got a mix up and £100s worth of useless parts :agree:

Can't really help you with that problem, its just that the crank has a keyway...the original pulley has a keyway.....might has been an interesting exersise to get a williams or 16v R19/clio woodruff key and plop it in....pence (£1.55 roughly...P/N 7703070007) compared to £££'s

Adey aka Ewok
01-01-2011, 17:58
not a bad shout atall, now been told that how this crank is, is defo not normal for a 172? a few pics would be good to confirm that tho, anyone have a pic of a valver woodruff key?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
01-01-2011, 18:04
Is it the block with the external water pump driven by the aux belt?
Or the later block with the cambelt driven water pump..?
I'm guessing you are using the original engine....so phase 1....and aux belt driven.
Basically the same bottom end as the clio williams.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
01-01-2011, 18:05
not a bad shout atall, now been told that how this crank is, is defo not normal for a 172? a few pics would be good to confirm that tho, anyone have a pic of a valver woodruff key?

I can photo mine in a min if you like....iphone quality though.....:crap:
Matt5@codered

Adey aka Ewok
01-01-2011, 18:07
Is it the block with the external water pump driven by the aux belt?
Or the later block with the cambelt driven water pump..?
I'm guessing you are using the original engine....so phase 1....and aux belt driven.
Basically the same bottom end as the clio williams.

you are correct, if you could that would be great, save alot of grief if it is the same :agree:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
01-01-2011, 18:16
Here you are.....
Crank and back of pulley (home made pulley removal tool obscures the other side) Clio 16v 1.8.

Hope this helps.....;)

Adey aka Ewok
01-01-2011, 18:18
cheers me dears, looks promising :agree:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
01-01-2011, 18:24
No probs, after doing lots to R5 GTT's and Clio 16v/Williams....I do the RS Clio's now, so have an interest in this stuff....;)
Matt5@codered

Adey aka Ewok
01-01-2011, 18:26
well i cant get the part till weds at the earliest so will post on here to let you know the out come :agree:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
01-01-2011, 18:39
Yeah, cool.:smokin:
Matt5@codered.

Ashy
01-01-2011, 21:13
Something not right with that crank mate, just checked the one outa my 5 and its slotted right through to the face. I've got another 2 engines in the garage but they both have the bottom pulleys on so haven't checked them.... But looking at you're new meggy pulley it should fit onto a "normal" 172 crank :scratch:

Adey aka Ewok
01-01-2011, 22:19
Tis an odd one, this is my mates engine, suposed to do mine tomorrow, hopefully the meggy pully will go straight on mine

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
05-01-2011, 14:45
Any news??

Adey aka Ewok
05-01-2011, 19:43
woodruff key will be in stock tomorrow, bit busy but will check it fits staight away, finish the cambelt then do the bottom pully on my engine, either with the meggy pully or if its also an oddball the woodruff key.

if all goes to plan will see me ready to bolt up the sc next week :D

Adey aka Ewok
09-01-2011, 21:55
key fits the crank, needed to file the pully slightly for it to slide on, then we knocked it on the head so my pully still isnt on yet, was planning on having the sc all on and running by next weekend, will see how it goes

HAndy
09-01-2011, 22:07
are you fitting a bov /bypass valve in front of the throttle plate ,just a thought , or you could end up bending/breaking things on closed throttle , all that air has got to go somewhere, tried a 25mm bov on mine ,and found it too restrictive, maybe go for a 35mm job or bigger? the mini's have a 38mm bypass valve as standard, know yours is a rotrex not eaton , like i said just a thought:)

HAndy
09-01-2011, 22:13
fitted a 50mm bov on mine :laugh::laugh::laugh:

on a more serious note , was shocked at how much pressure was released out the bov,even at idle :eek:

Adey aka Ewok
10-01-2011, 08:29
Not really thought about it tbh?

gtmatt
10-01-2011, 12:37
great work adey ,looks well mate :)

Adey aka Ewok
10-01-2011, 16:24
right so today i put the car on the dyno, just to see if it made somewhere close to stock power and to make sure there were no major faults with her before bolting the sc on. she made a huge 170 on the nose so nothing major worng there, most stock 172s make about 155-160 on these rollers so she isnt doing too bad with an exhaust decat and air filter. will see what she makes by the end of the week (fingers crossed)

Adey aka Ewok
11-01-2011, 22:07
today was the first day i could really get to work on the car. took off everything not needed and bolted on as much as i could before needing to get parts made.

started off as this

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/1pic.jpg

now at this point
http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/3pic.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/4pic.jpg

first job for me in the morning is to get a high pressure pas line made up, hope to get it done while i wait, tho in reality that probably wont happen, also waiting on a belt and a few spacers to be made, these probably wont be in untill the after noon. so with not much to do i will mount the intercooler and oil cooler and fit the new suspension and 2118 speedlines

if all goes well she should be up and running ready for mapping on friday :D

SP33DY
11-01-2011, 23:08
Good progress mate, can't believe your following the clio sport flock and fitting 2118's :eek:

You going to ND?

Adey aka Ewok
11-01-2011, 23:24
Lol I do like them and these have been painted black gold so are a little different. Yeah plan too, well if it all holds together :-D

Spooky
12-01-2011, 00:11
I need to see this in person, that SC won't squeeze in the R5 bay will it? :crap:

Although I'm prepared to hack the car to make it fit :D

Adey aka Ewok
12-01-2011, 07:08
I've got about an inch of clearance, would defo need to chop the car with these brackets, could just get custom ones made ;-p

Adey aka Ewok
12-01-2011, 22:05
trying to load some pics of todays progress tho cant get them off the phone at the mo

outa interest, can anyone recomend a spark plug to use?

SP33DY
12-01-2011, 22:12
I use the meg R26 plugs in mine mate and I'm certain thats what Ktec stick in there low pressure turbo conversions. As you'll be somewhere in the middle with regards to power I'm sure they'll work fine

Adey aka Ewok
12-01-2011, 22:21
excelent didnt think of them for some reason, do you know if the meggy users change them when they have remaps?

SP33DY
12-01-2011, 22:25
Not that I know of, I'm sure Paul ran stock plugs in his R26R when it was at 330bhp.

Mines at 374 at the minute and when I took them out to check the compression they were spot on.

Adey aka Ewok
12-01-2011, 22:28
awesome cheers bud:agree:

Spooky
13-01-2011, 00:08
I've got about an inch of clearance, would defo need to chop the car with these brackets, could just get custom ones made ;-p

:agree:

Im gunna have to come and see you now :p

Adey aka Ewok
13-01-2011, 19:54
so today saw her start up for the first time, alot done but not quick enough, i really needed to get her to the point of starting this morning so the mapping could be done in the afternoon but due to waiting on yet more parts it didnt happen untill this afternoon. the chap who was going to do it for me is off to autosport tomorrow now so itll have to wait till next week. it gives me some time to finish up some small bits as ive thrown this together in abot of a rush, small things like proper mounting of the intercooler and oil cooler, tidy up of the wiring in the bay and in the car as i relocated the battery to the wheel well in a pikey fashion.

happy to say on a ruff map taken off a 182 she started first time with no leaks :agree: the noise is abit different and act quite loud, will try and post a vid of her if i can. tommorow i will tidy up what i can and take her for a small test drive to double check for leaks and make sure she doesnt throw a belt or anything but it looks like she wont be ready untill the end of next week now :-(

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/5pic.jpg

i decided to check the gearbox oil and couldnt feel anything so thought it best i top her up, a bit of a worry was she took the whole 3 ltrs :confused: so not sure how long the box will take the increased abuse

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/6pic.jpg

its uber tight under the bonnet now so a few things will be moved in the future, a front mounted fan is defo on the list.

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/7pic.jpg

getting there.

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/8pic.jpg

how she sits now, had to remove the fog light surounds as they were hitting the oil cooler and intercooler pipework. ive opted to leave the grill out for now as i think the filter needs as much cold air as possible and the side of it is pressed up against the rad. cant wait to get her fully finished and running flat out :agree:

Adey aka Ewok
13-01-2011, 19:59
http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/9pic.jpg

forgot to add one with no bumper on :agree:

J8TRO
13-01-2011, 20:26
Good work buddy, I presume the black 182 in the back ground of the photos is your instruction booklet? :)

Adey aka Ewok
13-01-2011, 21:07
Indeed it was, well a ruff guide as mines a little different but it gave me a decent idea

Adey aka Ewok
13-01-2011, 22:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=X2vpTKJcu4Y

SP33DY
13-01-2011, 22:42
Ha ha sounds spot on Adey, bet your gagging to get it mapped and out for a thrash :D

Adey aka Ewok
13-01-2011, 23:05
Indeed, can't wait, guna be a right laugh if it doesn't destroy itself

Matt Cole
13-01-2011, 23:10
Not that I know of, I'm sure Paul ran stock plugs in his R26R when it was at 330bhp.

Mines at 374 at the minute and when I took them out to check the compression they were spot on.

Come on Steevie, lets have a look at this rolling road print out!!:wasntme:

SP33DY
13-01-2011, 23:11
Yeah take it easy on the box, I stripped third completely in mine the other day :cry:

I'm now the proud owner of the only four speed clio Trophy in the world :laugh:

SP33DY
13-01-2011, 23:12
Come on Steevie, lets have a look at this rolling road print out!!:wasntme:

I'm gonna laminate one and send it to you as a birthday card :cooter:

Ashy
14-01-2011, 07:05
I'm gonna laminate one and send it to you as a birthday card :cooter:

:brickwall:

Ashy
14-01-2011, 07:06
Looking Good Adey, be interested in a few laps with you if you're taking it to Mallory? See how it compares to the turbo.

Adey aka Ewok
14-01-2011, 07:23
yes bud, will be up for that, well if she lasts that long :laugh:

Adey aka Ewok
14-01-2011, 12:20
So not much I could do today so fitted a battey tray and took the car for a spin, was more to make sure she didn't fall apart so didn't involve anything heavy but she feels eager to go even at light throttle and with a basic get her running map, uber chuffed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0feUL9d5lc

Adey aka Ewok
20-01-2011, 19:16
Tomorrow is all set to be the day she's on the rollers, I've returned to work this week so not sure if I can get away to see her pull on the dyno, it'll either be good or bad :-$ if all is good I'll be glad to get her back running with around 240bhp peak. Been looking forward to Friday like a kid does for crimbo. To keep my mind of work I decided to strip my broken gearbox and rebuild it (in my tea breaks) In the car it wouldn't go into reverse so had a look inside, found a bent selector arm so grabbed a replacement for a 5er from agency transmissions in Worcester, checked everything over gave it a clean and now I have a spare working gearbox waiting for when this one ****s a frisbee :-D

Any one wana guess on what she will put down? Closest gets a curly wurley

c7borg
20-01-2011, 19:20
I'll say 246.. good luck :agree:

TrixNFlix
20-01-2011, 19:23
234 :agree:

J8TRO
20-01-2011, 19:26
239 Cos it's never quite what you want! :D

Spooky
20-01-2011, 20:05
170bhp/150lfts :laugh: :cooter:

5teve L
20-01-2011, 20:34

jesus in the seat of a 5
20-01-2011, 20:46
172....more if it works.....:cooter: or you shave your beard..weirdo...:wasntme:

Adey aka Ewok
20-01-2011, 21:39
172....more if it works.....:cooter: or you shave your beard..weirdo...:wasntme:

i could shave the beard and gain more bhp to weight straight away :)

Andrew Cooke
20-01-2011, 23:38
anyone know the part number for a clio head gasket?

Scoff
21-01-2011, 00:02
anyone know the part number for a clio head gasket?

If it's of any help I use gaskets from these people:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-LAGUNA-F4R-F4P-HEAD-GASKET-/140461740889?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20b42c1359

Adey aka Ewok
21-01-2011, 12:20
Thanks for the vote of confidence

James5
21-01-2011, 20:03
So how did it go??

Adey aka Ewok
21-01-2011, 21:10
well good and bad, looks like the previous owner over tightened the spark plugs and threaded the head on number 2, obviously a problem when we pulled the plugs out to find ptfe tape on all of them! even bigger problem when at 5k on the dyno it blows out and takes with it any thread that was left.

after a long round of phone calls a local engineering shop agreed to lend me the kit to re tap the head and put an insert in there, usually a job done with the head off. as the engine only has to last a few more months until the low comp build is finished i chanced it and did it in situe, i also chanced only fixing the one that flew out completely as the car was strapped to the dyno and we were running out of time to get it mapped.

anyway she held together long enough to do the majority of the work and i drove her home this eve, theres still alot of work to be done but she is now fully mobile and i can put my foot down, well once i fix the other 3 cylinders.

i gave her some poke on the way home and it actually scared me, its abit icy out so 1st 2nd and 3rd are useless but the pull on the motorway is awesome, i defo think it needs a longer ratio gearbox as it hits the limiter abit to quickly!

well on to the figures, these are at .5 bar of boost and ive been told with some more time on the ignition side of things i should see another 10bhp peak (didnt have enough time with the mishap) she made a very healthy 246.5 bhp! not bad going for spare parts and favours

Spooky
21-01-2011, 21:19

5teve L
22-01-2011, 09:28
well good and bad, looks like the previous owner over tightened the spark plugs and threaded the head on number 2, obviously a problem when we pulled the plugs out to find ptfe tape on all of them! even bigger problem when at 5k on the dyno it blows out and takes with it any thread that was left.

after a long round of phone calls a local engineering shop agreed to lend me the kit to re tap the head and put an insert in there, usually a job done with the head off. as the engine only has to last a few more months until the low comp build is finished i chanced it and did it in situe, i also chanced only fixing the one that flew out completely as the car was strapped to the dyno and we were running out of time to get it mapped.

anyway she held together long enough to do the majority of the work and i drove her home this eve, theres still alot of work to be done but she is now fully mobile and i can put my foot down, well once i fix the other 3 cylinders.

i gave her some poke on the way home and it actually scared me, its abit icy out so 1st 2nd and 3rd are useless but the pull on the motorway is awesome, i defo think it needs a longer ratio gearbox as it hits the limiter abit to quickly!

well on to the figures, these are at .5 bar of boost and ive been told with some more time on the ignition side of things i should see another 10bhp peak (didnt have enough time with the mishap) she made a very healthy 246.5 bhp! not bad going for spare parts and favours

Good going, can you run more boost through it once you have the low comp build in ? Once it's remapped again of course..

SP33DY
22-01-2011, 10:42
Good results Adey, how's the boost limited on this set up? a restrictor the same as the others?

Adey aka Ewok
22-01-2011, 11:00
Yeah uses a restrictor same as the other setups, more boost will be run with a lower comp engine. I think Rs tuning ran an un restricted setup, made around 320bhp but didn't last long

Adey aka Ewok
22-01-2011, 18:54
today she got death, and she still runs :D

had the keyed pully fitted up as that has been a common weak point for these supercharger conversions, i have been abit tentative with it up until now but god does she fly, the power delivery is unrelenting, pulls all the way to the rev limiter! will try and up load a power graph of before and after overlaid foir those who are interested, shows the improvements its made as its on the same rollers both times tho i know they cant be all that accurate.

will try and get a few vids done but if she holds out im sure you will see her at nat day:agree:

Adey aka Ewok
14-02-2011, 19:50
so shes still alive and still going strong :D starting to get used to how she drives and to be fair doesnt act feel to fast unless your playing with something else. not too much done to her lately more just racking up the miles.

been meaning to fit some aerocatches to the bonnet for some time now so that i can loose the slam panel at the front of the car, i had snapped both mounting brackets from the bumper too so added some there too. adding them to the bumper is making things alot easier to access when work is needed so not a bad idea atall, and they removed the screws i had holding the bumper on :agree:

some piccys of how she looks now

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/adey6.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/adey7.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/adey5.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/adey1-1.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/adey2.jpg

TrixNFlix
14-02-2011, 20:13
Nice work, love the aero catches.:) Great idea on the bumper. :agree:

Adey aka Ewok
14-02-2011, 21:06
cheers buddy. oh the other addition i didnt mention was the fog light covers off a 1.2 clio. the drivers one is slotted to allow air through for the oil cooler but thought it tidied up the front a little and gave it that r26r twist

HAndy
14-02-2011, 21:29
:cool: love it

Scoff
14-02-2011, 21:43
Really liking the clio's these days. I think I'll be going over to a clio shell next winter.

The new Bill J
14-02-2011, 21:47
Really liking the clio's these days.

They've really grown on me. I quite fancy a 172/182 :cool:

Adey aka Ewok
14-02-2011, 21:50
Really liking the clio's these days. I think I'll be going over to a clio shell next winter.

base spec shells and complete cars can be had cheap, you can get ph 1 172s cheaper than 5 gtts nowadays too

Scoff
14-02-2011, 21:55
base spec shells and complete cars can be had cheap, you can get ph 1 172s cheaper than 5 gtts nowadays too

I think it would have to be a white 172 none sunroof for me. No rush though, I'll keep my eyes open for one with a dead engine or whatever.

Liking the aero catch'd bumper :)

Adey aka Ewok
14-02-2011, 22:03
you going to build it around a base spec shell or respray a 172?

actually had the idea from the gtt cup cars with the bolts just holding them on, handy with all the pipe work and shiz ive got running around there now :)

J8TRO
14-02-2011, 22:05
Good work Adey, your Clio looks :devil:

Liking the love for the Clio. Buying my 172 was a great decision.

Great cars for the money

SP33DY
14-02-2011, 22:52
I think it would have to be a white 172 none sunroof for me. No rush though, I'll keep my eyes open for one with a dead engine or whatever.

Liking the aero catch'd bumper :)

Theres a lad on cliosport selling a White ph1 clio shell complete with roll cage. Dannyr is his user name. It's the old RSTuning supercharged Clio. Might be worth a cheeky offer :D

Scoff
14-02-2011, 23:34
you going to build it around a base spec shell or respray a 172?

actually had the idea from the gtt cup cars with the bolts just holding them on, handy with all the pipe work and shiz ive got running around there now :)

Did they not do flat white 172's ? Bummer, I didn't want to have to paint one. I don't want a non-172, I think there would be too much agro in finding the wishbones, suspension bits and whatever else makes a 172 a 172.

Steve, too soon for me mate, it's something I want to do later in the year else it'll distract me from the R5. R5's getting a bit tired, a bit un-aerodynamic and a bit tight in the engine bay for me these days.

Adey aka Ewok
15-02-2011, 07:45
No they didn't make White ones, not in this country anyway. Try and get a silver ph1, they come with Ali bonnets standard, lighter than most of the carbon items available. You thinking of building it for the strip?

Penfold aka The Dealer
15-02-2011, 08:32
White 172s are the nuts....a few out there.... all resprayed that colour tho....

Ricardo
15-02-2011, 13:25
White 172s are the nuts....a few out there.... all resprayed that colour tho....

I've been given a price of 1.2k to have mine painted white

markey b
15-02-2011, 23:42
Theres a lad on cliosport selling a White ph1 clio shell complete with roll cage. Dannyr is his user name. It's the old RSTuning supercharged Clio. Might be worth a cheeky offer :D

thats my mate who is the local clio breaker, but not by choice! he busts one so keeps it and strips it, and buys another to drive in the meantime, at the mo he has 2x silver ones, and the white one!

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
15-02-2011, 23:49
I'd quite like a phase 1 172 in silver with no sunroof please.....alloy bonnets???:cool:

Adey aka Ewok
16-02-2011, 09:16
I'd quite like a phase 1 172 in silver with no sunroof please.....alloy bonnets???:cool:

Yep, tho I don't think they are available anymore, insurance companies replace them with steel ones as aparently they can't get them from Renault

Ricardo
16-02-2011, 10:27
thats my mate who is the local clio breaker, but not by choice! he busts one so keeps it and strips it, and buys another to drive in the meantime, at the mo he has 2x silver ones, and the white one!

Do you know how much he's asking for the white one Mark?

c7borg
16-02-2011, 10:51
Good result then! it's a shame there wasn't a prize I was only 0.5bhp out :agree:

markey b
16-02-2011, 11:53
Do you know how much he's asking for the white one Mark?

no but i can find out, any joy with my old raider? i'm like your personal car enquiry manager :cooter:

Ricardo
16-02-2011, 13:37
no but i can find out, any joy with my old raider? i'm like your personal car enquiry manager :cooter:

I didn't go for it as too much work for the money, you're my car PA :D

Gttnutter
16-02-2011, 14:55
Looks good ads, got me wanting to buy it off you now :p

This was my White 172 I had for a year
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/Gttnutter/photo-1.jpg
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/Gttnutter/photo-4.jpg
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/Gttnutter/photo.jpg
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/Gttnutter/photo-2.jpg

Ok so it wasn't a genuine 172 it was a dymanique but had a bare shell spray in glacier White and full 172 engine and running gear. Apart from the roof it wasn't a bad buy and a made some dosh on it when I sold it on

TNT Tricky Nicky
16-02-2011, 16:28
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q244/wintaj/white%20clio/home4.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q244/wintaj/white%20clio/home1.jpg

looks like this now, the new owner works in a bodyshop and had a few bits done and had it blown over inside and out

Gttnutter
16-02-2011, 16:38
I prefered the dirty look myself :laugh:
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/Gttnutter/clioback.jpg

tubby5
16-02-2011, 16:40
that looks very nice:agree:

Nayls
16-02-2011, 16:51
Black looks better i think! :)

Adey aka Ewok
16-02-2011, 16:53
I want them wheels!!!

raj
16-02-2011, 17:12
I want them wheels!!!

what are them wheels?

Nayls
16-02-2011, 17:17
look like rota's??

TNT Tricky Nicky
16-02-2011, 17:17
I want them wheels!!!

they're 16x8 Rota grid drifts, et 10

rear arches need flairing due to the et, can get them closer to 35 but they aren't so con-caved

Adey aka Ewok
18-02-2011, 06:06
Did a few little tweaks last night, hopefully I can get it on the dyno today or sat to see I there has been much of a change. Still trying to find the time to have the map adjusted also as there are a few points on the map where it needs smoothing out. Also fitted some uprated engine mounts, alot stiffer than stock but the car vibrates a touch now.

This sat there's a rolling road shootout at powerstation in tewks, if the car lasts long enough she should be there. Open for anyone to spectate and if there's space run

Ricardo
18-02-2011, 19:52

Not in blue? :D

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
18-02-2011, 20:21
;)
Heh, yep one in blue too.....!

Adey aka Ewok
19-02-2011, 14:26
Dude you brought a White shell?

Well the Clio did proud today, ran on the dyno at the same time were 2 other sc clios (common as muck down this way) one was a ktec converted one, drive in drive out jobby. That pulled 266 and looking at his graph had lots more area under the line than mine or my mates one that were diy built. Bombers made 245 same as it does everytime and mine pulled 278.6bhp, it runs a little more boost than the others so guessing that's why it makes more power, im very happy with that for a top line figure so I think is next is get my hand in my pocket and pay for a full mapping session rather than my favours top line map that's on there, I won't gain much if any peak but I've got lots to gain bottom end and that should make it a quicker car on track

The new Bill J
19-02-2011, 14:51

Well the Clio did proud today, ran on the dyno at the same time were 2 other sc clios (common as muck down this way) one was a ktec converted one, drive in drive out jobby. That pulled 266 and looking at his graph had lots more area under the line than mine or my mates one that were diy built. Bombers made 245 same as it does everytime and mine pulled 278.6bhp, it runs a little more boost than the others so guessing that's why it makes more power, im very happy with that for a top line figure so I think is next is get my hand in my pocket and pay for a full mapping session rather than my favours top line map that's on there, I won't gain much if any peak but I've got lots to gain bottom end and that should make it a quicker car on track

:eek:

I can't believe it. Really, I can't. I'm in complete shock :eek:

Adey aka Ewok
19-02-2011, 14:57
Ok just for you bill, lol

philg
19-02-2011, 14:59

Result, well done :)

The new Bill J
19-02-2011, 15:11
Ok just for you bill, lol

:laugh:

Thanks mate :D

Well done on the figures as well :cool:

Mart
19-02-2011, 15:15
Good darts :agree:

What's the torque like?

Adey aka Ewok
19-02-2011, 15:19
Just clipping 220lbft, Its odd how it delivers it's power, just feels like a fast atmo engine with a bit of punch rather than a boosted kick. Will see how long stock compression can take the boost

Mart
19-02-2011, 15:21
Should make for a nice track weapon :cool:

Can I blag a pax lap if you're at Mallory?

Adey aka Ewok
19-02-2011, 15:47
Indeed martin

Ricardo
19-02-2011, 22:17

Maybe.... Which means the blue Clio goes

Adey aka Ewok
19-02-2011, 22:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfqYXPCvNms&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Matt Cole
19-02-2011, 23:35
Smashing that! These f4 engines seem to do the business! :agree:One thing though, whats happened to the torque? Thats nearly 60ftlb down?

Adey aka Ewok
19-02-2011, 23:45
60 ft down on what? That's about normal for a supercharged one, remember it doesnt have boost in the same way a turbo engine does so no huge kick of torque as it would have in a turbo engine

tom t
20-02-2011, 00:04
awesome work m8 great result aswell!

Matt Cole
20-02-2011, 00:18
60 ft down on what? That's about normal for a supercharged one, remember it doesnt have boost in the same way a turbo engine does so no huge kick of torque as it would have in a turbo engine

Yeah, i was going to add that every turbo'd car iv'e owned the torque has been equal or similar to the power within a limited rev range. What i have noticed about supercharged engines is the longer spread of torque but max torque lower down the revs. I imagine to make good power from a supercharged engine it has to be reved quite high?

Rob@Backyardracing
20-02-2011, 01:30
Good show... :)

To make good power in any engine state revs is needed in a fashion, but thing with the charger still depends on the compressor size etc, you might find it cant flow that well at 8k rpm so wont make the power high up...

TrixNFlix
20-02-2011, 07:08
This will be awesome on track. :smokin:

Adey aka Ewok
20-02-2011, 08:32
Good show... :)

To make good power in any engine state revs is needed in a fashion, but thing with the charger still depends on the compressor size etc, you might find it cant flow that well at 8k rpm so wont make the power high up...

Not sure how it will cope high up the revs if I was to raise the limit, it's a c30-94 rotrex charger, think there good for 400bhp? I run it with a restrictor to limit the boost on it at the mo so it's very responsive as it's pulley size is designed to give its full speed and boost

Duncan Grier
24-02-2011, 11:23
Adey pm me any details you have on the rotrex stuff and if you get any super rates on them - can get trade I guess but they look expensive :scared:

Seems for the 1st time in my life I will be building / running a sc powered engine and can get the eaton stuff for next to nothing but the rotrex would be an easier conversion and from what I am told a better unit. So suspect the engine will be a miss match of other parts to lower the compression and whatever else I can steal, got a M112 for free off an Aston Martin but also the M62 for beer tokens avaiable but not actually looked at spec yet to match to the 1.8 16v zetec lump.

Got some vag 1.8 20v pistons so they are getting mated to the ford rods and arp the bolts (shot peen the original rods while there) current cr is 10:1

It's nice and tempting to throw a load of cash at it but with 534kg (wet and loaded up) do not need big numbers this year to have some fun. So plan is pmt :laugh:

Look out for some whine nd

Good results so far adey, have to take me out for a cheeky lap :coffee:

Adey aka Ewok
20-03-2011, 10:38
ok so not much going on with the clio at the mo, havinging lots of fun trying to blow her up while out running them v8 m3s ;) but still not let go, i have picked up a gearbox whine but thats still working fine plus i have a spare box waiting to go in if the worst should happen. gave her a little service and spruce up recently, dropped in a new filter and oil plus gearbox oil and generally gave her a once over. im need to replace the gasket from the mani to the decat pipe and get some new front disks but other than that shes still going strong for a ruff hack about.

any way some gay stuff coming up, a mate of mine does alot of that fancy photo stuff so asked to do a few pics of my car and its sister car that was built at the same time, here they are :agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/roof1.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/roof2.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/roof3.jpg

had the works van this week so have given the car a proper clean (by my standards anyway) so all 4 wheels off for a quick dust of a rattle can and some fresh decals, guna have to put my hand in my pocket soon tho and get some body work done, been 11 years old the rear arches are starting to show signs of rust, under the sideskirts aint bad tho so nothing to major, plus years of carpark dings and running very agressive brake pads is killing any good paint thats left. dont get me wrong its not hanging but its starting to show its age, now do i put some money aside and have a full respray and get the wheels refurbed at the same time or do i get another shell to drop the lump into?

scratcher
20-03-2011, 11:34
The cars look sick!

Nice pics too. I thought there were from my mate at first...very similar names :laugh:
www.danielfreemanphotography.co.uk

Adey aka Ewok
07-05-2011, 10:00
cheers bud

right well where have we got to? hmm, did some drag racing at shakey and the stock fuel pump wiring found a fault causing me to cut out half way down the strip, quick bodge done to get her running and home. i then wired in a relay so that the omex ecu now controls the pump. the weekend after that happened i took her to combe and it totaly destroyed the gearbox in less than 3 laps :( now i knew it wasnt going to last long as it was already whining so had a backup gearbox in the garage so not all bad just a few lazy bank holiday days doing a gearbox swap. as the stock ecu/electrics that were still there were starting to fail i decided to strip the engine bay loom out so that there was less to cause a problem in the future, this does mean none of my dash works but i plan to put a stand alone dash unit in there very soon. a few pics of the damage

engine out

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/IMG_0725.JPG

one busted up box
http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/IMG_0726.JPG

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/IMG_0727.JPG

back in

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/IMG_0733.JPG

and ready to rock again

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/IMG_0741.JPG

all seems good so far, took a few tries to get the gear selector in the right place, seen a mod to move the stick further back too that i might try. ive also taken delivery of some proper camber shims for the rear to replace my washers and hopefully take the camber down from -4 to -2 ish. i did plan on retro fitting some topmounts from a vaux nova to give me alot of adjustability up front tho i couldnt find a nova in the scrappy quick enough to cut up so they will have to wait for now, i did machine them to fit the kw coilovers while they were out ready to use tho

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/adeys%20useless%20stuff/scclio/$(KGrHqYOKi!E1cSSKJrkBNpfm5zP8!~~0_12.jpg

aim is to get it drivable and useable for nat day and if i start going mad with everything i want to do now it defo wont be ready.

Ashy
07-05-2011, 10:21
Made a big job of that mate, you coulda dropped the box out the bottom save pulling the full engine out!

Sounds like its been a good conversion tho, the F4R seems to love boost :agree:

Adey aka Ewok
07-05-2011, 11:22
Easier for me than lying down on the gravel. Seems to like it, 7200rpm banging most days with .7 bar of boost, no sign of extra oil usage or blow by yet

bod 182
07-05-2011, 12:26
Must time to sell LOL:)

Woznaldo
07-05-2011, 12:27
Adey, that's a top job on the box! Have you thought about using some of the strengthening plates from Italy/Spain on another box?

It always seems like the casing gives way, then the gears partially disengage and strip.

Scoff
07-05-2011, 12:59
Adey, that's a top job on the box! Have you thought about using some of the strengthening plates from Italy/Spain on another box?

It always seems like the casing gives way, then the gears partially disengage and strip.

I think that's what happened with my last Renault gearbox. It whined, it got louder then it died.

But the JB3 never seems to break cases, just gears.

Glenn has been doing some research after again destroying another fresh gearbox last week. Some of the gears in the JC5 are stronger looking, only some versions of JC5 though. So, maybe the JC5 case is weaker than the older JB3.

Adey aka Ewok
07-05-2011, 13:46
i think in the long run ill have to go the same route as you scoff, more for reliabilty than the ability to run more power, this is the 3rd box this car has had in my ownership 2nd since doing the sc conversion :cry:

Adey aka Ewok
26-05-2011, 16:32
ok so with the impending rtoc nat day ive decided to try and sort the suspension on my car a little on a budget, kw v1s up front, the rears are to soft so a set of gaz adjustables are on there way. i removed my pikey camber washers from the rear and fitted some proper shims and up front the bits that the camber bolt runs in was worn out, ive taken them out and fitted some eibach camber bolts in there place. as it stands i have monster front camber now so need it setting up. anyone have any sugestions for how much camber and toe to run? the car is a bit quick so stability would need to be considered but i need a ruff figure to tell the place to set it too. all help apriciated, cheers:agree:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
26-05-2011, 16:45
Try about 2.5 deg neg camber and 1-2mm toe out up front.
Depending how soft the rear is no more than 2 deg neg rear camber.
Half decent set up on road Tyres.
Matt

Adey aka Ewok
26-05-2011, 16:51
Try about 2.5 deg neg camber and 1-2mm toe out up front.
Depending how soft the rear is no more than 2 deg neg rear camber.
Half decent set up on road Tyres.
Matt

was hoping youd pop online :agree: cheers buddy, rear should be alot stiffer once i get the new rear shocks

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
26-05-2011, 16:57
If you want to play with tyre pressures, take a bottle of tipp-ex with you to a track next time, run a little bit onto the sidewall of the tyre and onto the first block of tyre tread.
You can work out the right pressures from how much wears off...... I'll email you a photo in a min and can you share it on here, don't want people moaning about being left out now do we....? Hehehe!
Matt.

Adey aka Ewok
26-05-2011, 17:52
ill stick it on here later on, im guessing im looking to wear it off tho whole block but not off the sidewall?

Adey aka Ewok
27-05-2011, 19:44
cheers for the info bud, got it set up today, drives so sweet now :D not had chance to give it proper stick but defo holds a corner well.

the car was trying to kill me on the way to get it set tho. turns out i had 5 degs of neggy with 25mm of toe out ech side! not set to -2.3 with 1mm of toe out each side:agree:

next on the list for this weekend is to attack the soundeadning with the heatgun and fix the handbrake. after that it should be ready to hit mallory in a very pikey lashed together fashion

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
27-05-2011, 20:09
ill stick it on here later on, im guessing im looking to wear it off tho whole block but not off the sidewall?

You can wear about 1/3 of the paint off at the front and 1/4 at the rear....then 3psi either way to fine tune how you like it.

Glad to have been of service on the set up.;)
Matt@coderedmotorsports.

Ricardo
29-05-2011, 18:52
cheers for the info bud, got it set up today, drives so sweet now :D not had chance to give it proper stick but defo holds a corner well.

the car was trying to kill me on the way to get it set tho. turns out i had 5 degs of neggy with 25mm of toe out ech side! not set to -2.3 with 1mm of toe out each side:agree:

next on the list for this weekend is to attack the soundeadning with the heatgun and fix the handbrake. after that it should be ready to hit mallory in a very pikey lashed together fashion

CR spec, the way forward ;) :agree:

Adey aka Ewok
05-06-2011, 11:53
woops

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/adey1984/IMG_0867.jpg

time for some bodgerneering, tho it did another 30 hard laps like that and a gps 150mph pull on the way home without letting go. will rig up a temp brace for now untill i decide what to do with it, either a total redesign or the same again but with a different material.

the car defo proved herself well for me, bar that no major faults all day, even flat out giving it the big one the water temp never went over 82 degs pulled very strongly all day.

the only other thing i need to look at is the fuel setup, coming out of gerrards with a quarter of a tank of fuel id get some starvation so i think i might chuck in small swirl tank witch will let me run a larger pump aswell, will give me some scope for the future :agree:

TNT ANDY
05-06-2011, 12:06
Adey - you was flying - really loved the way yours pulled and sounded, looked very quick indeed.
:smokin:

Adey aka Ewok
05-06-2011, 12:33
Cheers buddy, everyone mentioned the sound it's the only thing I can't hear in the car, no whine not very much exhaust noise either. Hope someone got some video footage

Andrew Cooke
05-06-2011, 13:48
what are those brackets made of? They look suspiciously like tool plate...

Adey aka Ewok
05-06-2011, 13:56
Tool plate? There Ali tho I'm unsure of the grade. Have done almost 10k before breaking tho

Andrew Cooke
05-06-2011, 14:00
Tool plate? There Ali tho I'm unsure of the grade. Have done almost 10k before breaking tho

tool plate is ally, it's for making jigs etc, stable, but brittle as fook. Don't put it anywhere near a car.

http://www.metalfast.co.uk/hsp.htm

paul b
05-06-2011, 14:01
woops

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/adey1984/IMG_0867.jpg

time for some bodgerneering, tho it did another 30 hard laps like that and a gps 150mph pull on the way home without letting go. will rig up a temp brace for now untill i decide what to do with it, either a total redesign or the same again but with a different material.

the car defo proved herself well for me, bar that no major faults all day, even flat out giving it the big one the water temp never went over 82 degs pulled very strongly all day.

the only other thing i need to look at is the fuel setup, coming out of gerrards with a quarter of a tank of fuel id get some starvation so i think i might chuck in small swirl tank witch will let me run a larger pump aswell, will give me some scope for the future :agree:

most impressive, :), wish I had asked for a passenger ride earlier now LOL ;)

J8TRO
05-06-2011, 15:55
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/j8tro/th_Adeflyby.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/j8tro/?action=view&current=Adeflyby.mp4)

:D

Adey aka Ewok
05-06-2011, 17:04
cheers buddy :agree:

Gibbo69
07-06-2011, 22:20
Hi Adey,

nice to meet up with ya over national day:)

I am currently purchasing a 2002 172 cup for the track & may well require your help once purchased and stripped out if thats ok ? Looking to upgrade the engine & may even add a supercharger :rolleyes: saying that though i seen yours on the track ... couldnt believe how rapid your car is mate!

All the best

Gibbo

Adey aka Ewok
08-06-2011, 07:14
cheers buddy, yeah thats cool good base for a track toy, any questions ask away and ill help if i can :agree:

Mart
08-06-2011, 07:20
Feel free to get a template knocked up of those SC brackets me old fruit ;) :agree:

Adey aka Ewok
08-06-2011, 07:34
Feel free to get a template knocked up of those SC brackets me old fruit ;) :agree:

lol funny you say that, when i get to changing mine with a different material design ill possibly ask around and see whos intrested, no promises tho

Duncan Grier
08-06-2011, 14:29
lol funny you say that, when i get to changing mine with a different material design ill possibly ask around and see whos intrested, no promises tho

Give us a shout if you need some mates rates on either laster cutting or machining ;)

DG

Mart
08-06-2011, 15:53

Put me down for a set mate. You scratch my back & all that... ;)

Adey aka Ewok
10-06-2011, 09:43
I dug out some paperwork for the brackets and it states 6082 Ali as the material?

Adey aka Ewok
14-06-2011, 19:01
my damaged bracket shoul dbe back with me in the next few days, the cad drawings are being modded to add extra strength to the part that broke then ill get them sent off for a price to be made in zinc plated steel.

had a bit of a downer last night, went out to the car to start taking a few bits off and found a small puddle of traction fluid under the super charger :cry:not good atall, ive taken it off and it going off to tts at silverstone as there the main rotrex people in the uk and i have a mate that works there. odd thing is none of the people there have heard of one leaking from where mine is. i really really hope it can be fixed foc or for a small charge :( i really hope its not a huge bill as im a pikey and have spent the car fund on some new bits.

all being well ill be starting a slow build of another engine next week, probably going to take a while, tho should be worth it as im sure my engine will comit suicide soon and itll be built to take some more abuse and boost :agree: need to speak to a few people in the know before i decide on the final spec tho for now itll still keep the stock cams

Adey aka Ewok
03-07-2011, 15:26
well its been a bit of a bad few weeks tbh, the supercharger has destroyed itself internaly:cry:currently trying to get a replacement but rotrex can be a pain to work with and dont cover oil contamination. the cause is either contamination causing a bearing to fail and **** itself or the bearing **** itself then contaminated all the oil. this then took out the internal oil pump. im not confident ill get another one :( and funds are very tight at the moment so i wont be able to replace it any time soon. i did have the bracket fixed and strengthened but thats just sat in the foot well at the mo as without a charger i have no use for it atall. on top of that the new runabout i got to use while the clio was off the road blew itself up within 3 days lol. back to the multi coloured auto corsa :agree:

if i cant get a new charger chances are ill either break or sell the clio off and start something again over the winter i guess. even with all the joy it gives me to build and drive im getting very tired of having to fix or fund it, kit car with all sandard from the scrap yard parts could be a new direction for me

Adey aka Ewok
07-08-2011, 21:45
Anyone interested in the bracket setup from my car? I'll even include the idler pullies and correct length belt. Cars been sold stock to make way for a new project. Will get some pics and chuck up a for sale add in the next few days but pm me if you want them