PDA

View Full Version : Tungy- glacier white restoration

Pages : [1] 2

VALE46
26-11-2010, 23:10
Hi everyone, well I am now a year into this and car goes off tomorror for welding on sill and minor other bits that need doing, then its down to good old elbow grease to start rubbing down in preperation for paint, I think I have decided on glacier white ?? (can any one tell me if its paint code 389 and is it 2pac or celluose)
I may keep it tungy if there is a majority vote:laugh:
I have done loads of work on sub assy and everything and I mean everything will be fully refurbed before rebuild, all axles have been powder coated and everything that used to shine has been re=plated inc zinc yellow passivate. I will add photos as it progresses ( I currently have about 300 though) :crap:

All thoughts listened to and appreciated, John.

JRP
26-11-2010, 23:16
Good luck chum:cool:

VALE46
26-11-2010, 23:25
I may well need it matey, I have two r5gtt in the past and I cant live without one so it will take a while, but I`ll get there, I am in no rush, just unsure of colour.

JRP
26-11-2010, 23:26
I may well need it matey, I have two r5gtt in the past and I cant live without one so it will take a while, but I`ll get there, I am in no rush, just unsure of colour.

If you need any random bits just pm me i might have them laying around... having not put half the bits back onto mine...:agree:

djinuk
27-11-2010, 08:36
personally id keep it tungy and original , should be cool once done.

Jonny5
27-11-2010, 11:18
Keep it tungy :agree:

elcie
27-11-2010, 12:21
again keep it grey ! :agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
27-11-2010, 12:48
I'd say paint it white mate, its a nicer colour then tungy. :agree:

Good luck with the project mate, looks like it'll be a mint one when done.

TrixNFlix
27-11-2010, 13:09
I think you should keep it the original colour it came from factory.:agree:

philg
27-11-2010, 16:23
I think you should keep it the original colour it came from factory.:agree:

:agree:

phase i 16 v turbo
27-11-2010, 17:11
Do this one Tungy and your next project white. There are plenty out there that need saving / restoring.:agree:

jesus in the seat of a 5
27-11-2010, 19:03
Do this one Tungy and your next project white. There are plenty out there that need saving / restoring.:agree:

pah tungys are way too common...:p, do it pearl white....:wasntme:..or raider blue as they arent common either...:laugh:, whatever , tis good to see another 5 being restored..:agree:

benj88
27-11-2010, 19:09
I like White 5s and I like tungsten 5s, I don't no which I like most there's only one way to find out.. Fiiiiight!! As Harry hill would say, lol.

I'd keep it original colour mate and get it in the game

VALE46
27-11-2010, 21:58
Thanks for all your help guys, it appears that most of you think that keeping it tungy is the way to go forward?? ( I may have to toss a coin on that one).
If any one has bits and pieces left over or spare and want to sell them I would be interested pls PM me. At the moment i am in need of a good rot free tailgate and various interior trims ie boot carpet, and loads of other stuff:sad2:.
Thanks for looking, I will keep putting photos on.

phase i 16 v turbo
27-11-2010, 22:08
I can help with all the parts you need. If you want to pop down to my unit you will find all you need :D

VALE46
27-11-2010, 22:35
I might have to take you up on the offer, I could talk all night about what I have done so far with this car, all the front /rear suspension has been blasted and re-powder coated, and endless other bits and pieces inc total braking system has been stripped, replaced or refurbed and in my loft (don`t tell the missus).
Let me know if you have a tailgate becuase thats what I need asap.:)

VALE46
06-12-2010, 21:59
I need a good rot free tailgate guys ( in white would be lovely) can anyone help:crap:
pm if you have one....

VALE46
28-12-2010, 21:44
Does anyone have any good pics of the fuel pump/filter assy as fitted on a standard ph2 , My baby is in boxes of bits all over the place! and I am now on fuel system sub assy whilst the car is in bodyshop. Can anyone help with good quality pics.

Many Thanks Guys.....;)

VALE46
28-01-2011, 23:12
Hi everyone,
New year update, car is now at a friends house having welding done and new sills etc, I will then have car back and start the rubbing down and proper rust prevention with por 15 +waxoil in all thr hard to reach parts.
Sub assy is going well and just had alloys totally refurbed and they look amazing! pics added soon.
Alot of parts are bubble wrapped and put away in loft ,so I will add loads of photos when they slowly start making their way back onto the car.
I am hoping to get some paint on her in the summer if time and money allow that is.

I have decided to paint the car glacier white 389 paint code, I just love white cars and this will be so mint and OE when done it will look lovely,I am 18 months into this project and haven`t given myself deadlines, but would love to start re-assembly in autumn.

mattk
29-01-2011, 10:12
Good luck with this project mate, look forward to seeing the final result :)

VALE46
07-02-2011, 21:22
Thanks matey, I am getting there slowly and have so many little jobs on the go at once! when the car comes out of bodyshop I have to get it ready for paint in the summer.
I will keep posting photos.....:)

gimme5
07-02-2011, 21:42
just seen this thread yes 389 is code for glacier white
you can get solid or base coat for this,go for basecoat as this is clearcoated
and will not fade like a solid,and will have a nice finish to it:agree:
ask the bodyshop which shade they do it in as thier is quite a few and you may need to paint little bits in the future

VALE46
14-02-2011, 21:16
Thanks for that important info mate, I know alot of people say keep it tungey grey, but I like white and it will be proper smate when I finish it.
I need a good tailgate if anyone knows where I can get one.:)

VALE46
22-04-2011, 21:38
Hello everyone, its been a while since I last posted a thread, the car is entering the final stages of welding and will soon be rubbed down for some fresh paint, I will be stone gaurding the complete underside of the car and wax oiling in all sills/wheel arches etc before re-build.

I will post more photos before and after painting, but here are a few boring ones of the new tailgate I finally found!

PS-does anyone know if you can still get the blanking cap on the front bumper I think its the tow eye cover ??? I have also just received my brand new genuine rear bumper, it was on order for 6 months !! worth waiting for though.

gimme5
23-04-2011, 00:07
club shop has towing eye covers,keep up the good work mate:agree:

Big Steve - Raider
24-04-2011, 20:49
Hi John,

Good to see things are coming along nicely. :niceone:

Let me know if you ever want me to pop round for any hints & Tips as your local Area Rep?

Steve ;)

VALE46
15-05-2011, 21:35
Hello everyone, just to bore you all I have loads more pics of prep work before paint.

I am short of one alloy wheel in good condition ,i dont mind a bead blast and paint required, but need a striaight one if anyone has a cheap one please pm me...

VALE46
15-05-2011, 21:39
And some more

Big Steve - Raider
15-05-2011, 21:42
I "THINK" I've got a bare alloy Speedline tucked in the garage somewhere??? :scratch:

I'll have a look for you. ;)

Car looks as though it's coming on well John!

VALE46
15-05-2011, 21:43
and some more .......

dangerous dave
15-05-2011, 23:02
thats some effort going into that.. gonna look sh1t hot in no time:smokin:

VALE46
17-05-2011, 21:00
Thanks guys I will keep posting pics of various bits if anyone is interested??

Steve ,have look for that wheel if you can and let me know what you want for it. Thanks, John.

VALE46
29-09-2011, 22:17
Hello to all members reading this, well its been a while and after doing lots of little jobs in the background the car will finally enter the paint shop for full body re-spray !!!

Expect lots of photos to follow,but here`s a few boring ones of new oem rubber seals etc.:):):):)

Big Steve - Raider
29-09-2011, 22:24
Thanks guys I will keep posting pics of various bits if anyone is interested??

Steve ,have look for that wheel if you can and let me know what you want for it. Thanks, John.

Just seen this now :ashamed:

Yes I have got a bare stripped Speedline in the garage!

If you want it, PM me a price? ;)

Big Steve - Raider
29-09-2011, 22:27
Hello to all members reading this, well its been a while and after doing lots of little jobs in the background the car will finally enter the paint shop for full body re-spray !!!

Expect lots of photos to follow,but here`s a few boring ones of new oem rubber seals etc.:):):):)

Good lad John!! :niceone:

This is the best part of any restoration!! :D

I look forward to seeing it return, Have you said what colour you're going for now??

VALE46
02-10-2011, 20:35
Hi Steve,
I have decided to go for glacier white. I thought long and hard about it and just really fancy a white one.
I have been so busy buying various bits and pieces for the car,but as with any project there are ups and downs. Trouble finding parts etc are becoming very normal!

Final pic of car on trailer on its way to paintshop!!!!!:scared:

ps- Steve if you still have that spare standard alloy I will buy it off you,let me know mate..

Ashy
02-10-2011, 23:21
looking good :)

Is it a campus shell?

gtmatt
03-10-2011, 10:37
hi there , i am doing the same job also with mine , ive been doing mine for 2 years now. if you send me your email can email you a pic of the fuel bracket pic.

You can also see my thread on here

good luck matt:)

VALE46
06-10-2011, 19:52
Hi guys, well my main man at the paint shop called me today and sent me some pics of the R5 which is now WHITE !!! special day in this little cars life. Its still early days but seeing a bare GT TURBO shell with new paint on it is something I will never forget. (enjoy).........:eek::eek::eek::eek:

VALE46
06-10-2011, 19:55
And some more.............:)

VALE46
06-10-2011, 19:59
And some more.............;)

sean5gtt
06-10-2011, 21:21
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Look great on freshly painted car, but it is not original r5gtt shell is it cos of rear wheel arches are different?:confused:

Look forward to see the build up mate:agree:

VALE46
06-10-2011, 21:43
I can assure you it is matey, its had a nsr quarter panal on it before I got it! but I personally have stripped it to the last nut and bolt, so please ......kind comments only, or no comments at all :mad::mad::mad::mad:

sean5gtt
06-10-2011, 23:45
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I can assure you it is matey, its had a nsr quarter panal on it before I got it! but I personally have stripped it to the last nut and bolt, so please ......kind comments only, or no comments at all :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ah....just notice other photo of o/s/r showing rear arch that is indeed r5gtt, my apologies:ashamed::eek:

VALE46
07-10-2011, 21:00
Why thank you Sir,apology accepted. :)

mattk
19-10-2011, 22:42
Shell looks fantastic mate, what are you planning engine wise? Keeping the original or thinking of something else?

Chris Beer
19-10-2011, 23:21
:eek: Thats a proper colour change!

White is going to look very fresh fresh buddy!

VALE46
26-10-2011, 21:45
Thanks for all your kind comments as always I need help as most people do when restoring things in this way.
I am currently deciding on what is the best product for corrosion prevention.

I want to wax oil all the internals of the doors and sills and tailgate etc,does anyone use dinatrol?? I have read its really good stuff to spray in areas for long lasting rust prevention.

I would love your thoughts..:)

romain-gtt
26-10-2011, 21:53
what a change !!!!

looks very beautiful in white !!!

djinuk
26-10-2011, 22:35
im planning to use that dynatol stuff , got good ratings on the mx5 owners clubs.

VALE46
27-10-2011, 22:09
Also strange request, but does anyone have any idea on a part number or availability on the funny seal that goes on the inside of the windscreen, its the internal seal that has the wire webbing in it. any ideas please....:sad2:

benj88
28-10-2011, 11:12
Great work :agree:

VALE46
21-11-2011, 21:40
hello everyone, I now have most of the panals painted and I am slowly starting to go through the many boxes of bits I have to locate all the bits to slowly start putting my baby back together.

I have had a new screen front and rear fitted, but as usual with these resto projects finding certain parts is difficult,I find alot of reno dealers are just not bothered/interested to help.

this sunday morning was spent spraying all the inner sills etc with cavity wax ( I went for 3M clear wax) in the end.
I have also cleaned the whole underside of the car and stonechip protected all the inner wheel arches and chassis.

Please leave your comments /advice...:D

VALE46
21-11-2011, 22:10
Sad I know, but some more shots of a painted rot free chassis.:)

Penfold aka The Dealer
23-11-2011, 00:51
:agree: very good project, will keep an eye on this. :)

benj88
23-11-2011, 19:50
Looking good mate. Love seeing 5s stripped down to their shell and restored.

How much were the windows mate? I'm after some as well

VALE46
28-11-2011, 20:51
Hello, thanks for all your comments, the new windscreen was £50 fitted, and rear screen was genuine reno from France @ £68 +vat I will post more photos soon as tailgate will be fitted back on soon with all new shiny bits

TNT Tricky Nicky
28-11-2011, 21:42
never realised you were in cambridge before,

good job, will be good to see another one saved. :agree:

gtmatt
28-11-2011, 22:29
Very nice job well done

VALE46
03-12-2011, 16:47
Well mainly this week (when the wife lets me) !! I have been working on the freshly painted tailgate,I have fitted the new genuine rear screen and plumbed all wiring and washer tubes back in. I couldn`t but a new rear washer jet,my main dealer said no go, so if anyone knows any different please let me know (part number etc).
I will hopefully be putting the tailgate back on the shell in the next few weeks. In the meantime I wondered if there are any pics of rear badge refurbs, I have painted the GTTURBO badge glacier white. I would like to know who has had success in painting the raised letters red, and if so- what red?? pics would be a great help.

As with any project like this you take one step forward and two steps back! I need new inner window channel seals for the front doors, does anyone know the part numbers??:sad2:

Must go the beers getting warm....

VALE46
03-12-2011, 16:53
Oh and the doors came back from paintshop yesterday, I have fitted brand new door handles for the pics, I will post more when fitted back on car,I have made some phone calls about pattern door window regulators.Has anyone used them and are they any good??:)

gtmatt
03-12-2011, 19:24
Amazing work I've do all he same to mine been to Renault and bought like you have keep up the good work :)

VALE46
04-12-2011, 20:50
Well, I had a bit of time on the car this morning and refitted tailgate and rear quarter windows, all with new genuine catches and seals of course. The boot seal and rear window internal seals are all new too....:):):)

VALE46
04-12-2011, 20:57
I forgot to say the tailgate trim is back from paintshop and now fitted with brand new number plate lights,I have painted the badge but still really unsure how to tackle the red lettering??

Help Help Help :sad:

Big Steve - Raider
04-12-2011, 22:14
still really unsure how to tackle the red lettering?? Help Help Help :sad:

I used some paint-on-masking from your local model shop to mask off the parts I didn't want painting, then just had them sprayed by the bodyshop with the rest of the car.

robx1r
04-12-2011, 22:31
i'm loving this thread, but one bit of criticism, i want to look at all your photos but because they are attached it would take days of opening and closing tabs, would you upload the photos to the likes of photobucket and then link them here as they appear a lot bigger?

its a free photo hosting site and it wont take up rtoc bandwith!

VALE46
05-12-2011, 06:45
Thanks for your advice Steve, I will look into that option.
As for photos, yes I have hundreds and will try and sort that out.:)

LiamR
05-12-2011, 12:32
Looks a really great project mate. Am very impressed and jealous!! Keep up the good work..

Just one silly question- how the hell are you going to get the car back off those axle stands with the wood going across the bottom of the car??:confused:

VALE46
05-12-2011, 19:40
Its called muscles !!! Me and my dad lifted the whole car on and off the trailer !:laugh:
When I start rebuilding the underside of the car i will reposition the jacks etc....

mattk
06-12-2011, 17:58
This project looks fantastic mate keep up the good work ;)

kiwicolour
06-12-2011, 18:43
lookimg good! and for the red lettering check my reply at the bottom of this thread:
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=24103

VALE46
06-12-2011, 21:17
Thank you to everyone who has looked at my project and made comments and suggestions, today I have rubbed down/stripped /painted the pedal box and fitted some shiny new genuine pedal rubbers.

I will show pics before and after rear badge renovation.:)

VALE46
11-12-2011, 21:13
hello everyone, I had the pleasure of a few hours on the ggt this morning and thought I`d post some more pics of doors installed, new door seals and window channel seals + new check links and pins etc..

I got the seals from renualt main dealer as I found part numbers on a thread on here, but had a mental block -Is there a seal on the inside of the window channel ?? not convinced the seals are right as the the new ones have s slit in the corners and old ones didn`t have this...

If anyone can post a pic of the window seals that would be most helpful..:):)

VALE46
21-12-2011, 20:02
hello and happy Christmas 2011 to every rtoc member.

My wife gave me a early xmas present today-that was the whole day on the 5 !!
I have done a little bit more on her today and refitted refurbed pedal box and steering coloumn (shiny new bearings installed of course):):)

gttjames
22-12-2011, 21:29
Thank you to everyone who has looked at my project and made comments and suggestions, today I have rubbed down/stripped /painted the pedal box and fitted some shiny new genuine pedal rubbers.

I will show pics before and after rear badge renovation.:)

Do a step by step with how you do the badge :)

VALE46
19-01-2012, 21:49
After a few weeks of background work on cleaning bits and pieces I spent a few hours actually on the car! I have fitted new genuine rear lamps and refitted various interior trims etc,I have spent a long time on renovating the ripped headlining and now you would never know!

If any on can PM various pics of a standard engine bay and interior wiring looms that would be great as I have boxes of looms to go through and help in locating their correct routing etc would be helpful.

Also pic of reconditioned tailgate badge.

Jonny5
19-01-2012, 22:08
This car is going to be an absolute minter keep the updates coming :agree:

Renault 5 GT Turbo
19-01-2012, 23:46
Have you had the door cards flocked?

Out of interest, what are you planning to do with the seats? Do you have a good set?

REGGY5GT
19-01-2012, 23:49
Now this im going to keep an eye on, good project thread vale:agree:

Tony Walker
20-01-2012, 00:03
stunning :agree: keep up the fantastic work :agree:

VALE46
20-01-2012, 20:29
Firstly, thank you for all your kind comments about my project. I will continue to post updated photos as work progresses.:agree:.

The interior door cards (front) are not bad, I have so far wet vac`d them 3 times!! the same cannot be said for the rear ones! all the fabric has peeled off and they need replacing. If anyone has any then please pm me.

Have a good weekend everyone:cool:

VALE46
22-02-2012, 21:18
I have been concentrating mainly on interior rebuild at the moment, but look what I have in my shed awaiting fitment to shiny reconditioned rims.:)

I can get hold of other sets of these tyres all 5 for £350 so pm if anyone wants a set of Uni`s

Mudslinger
22-02-2012, 22:36
Nice Project m8:agree:

just out of curiosty ,how do you move it ,do you leave your car sitting on they axel stands and wood? doesnt look very stable ,id be terrified it tipped off :scared:

VALE46
23-02-2012, 21:57
Good question mate! The car has no axles on it so the plan is to rebuild all the interior etc then fit all underside components etc then get axles back on and then I will have a rolling chassis before engine and gearbox go back in..

Well thats the plan anyway (fingers crossed).

VALE46
19-03-2012, 20:43
After no success with renault main dealer on a new gear knob or gaitor I decided to refurb my own, I have carefully remove old gaitor and replaced it with a new one and I am going to get a red sticker made for the top of the knob then lacquer it after fitting and see what it looks like:crap:

I am getting very frustrated with renault parts at the moment because they can`t seem to get anything I want!! if anyone knows if you can get new gearknobs please let me know.

I will post a pic when sticker is on and see what you think:)

Penfold aka The Dealer
19-03-2012, 21:13
New gear knobs are rare... Simples.

Havent been available for 3years... Maybe longer.

Sometimes appear on ebay... & go for silly silly money. Some members have them & wont part with them

The new Bill J
19-03-2012, 21:21
I am getting very frustrated with renault parts at the moment because they can`t seem to get anything I want!!

:scratch:

Yep, Renault should have every part on the shelf. The car only went out of production over 20 years ago :laugh:

Hoolio
19-03-2012, 22:13
Mike managed to get a new batch of gaitors a year or so ago so may be worth a call. Great project btw.

VALE46
21-03-2012, 22:17
Thanks for all your comments guys, I will add pics of refurbed gearlever assy when its done;)

VALE46
26-03-2012, 19:48
Done a few more bits at the weekend so here are some more pics.

Renault 5 GT Turbo
26-03-2012, 20:03
Done a few more bits at the weekend so here are some more pics.

Great work, very envious.

Maybe you could finish it off with some new dial faces since you have gone to such effort?

http://www.rtoc.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=102

and needle paint 'Maybelline, Forever Strong Pro, Orange Couture 460' from Boots, £4.07

mattk
26-03-2012, 20:59
Fantastic effort mate keep up the good work :)

Matt Cole
27-03-2012, 13:24
Will this be concourse?

VALE46
13-04-2012, 21:57
I hope so mate, I will keep trying to make it perfect :)

gttjames
14-04-2012, 17:55
great work, mines on the road now, cant wait for yours to be done and il come and view it

VALE46
30-04-2012, 22:07
If yours is running I would love to come over and have look and get some hints a tips on putting mine back together.

Big Steve - Raider
30-04-2012, 22:31
If yours is running I would love to come over and have look and get some hints a tips on putting mine back together.

Kris M is coming over to mine this weekend' if you want we can pop over & have a chat if you're making a cuppa tea? ;)

VALE46
21-05-2012, 22:13
A few pics of recent work on the interior rebuild, going very slow at the moment due to lack of spare time, but getting there slowly:crap:

VALE46
31-05-2012, 06:42
Brand new spare wheel arrived the other day,I will vacuum pack it before putting it on the car,the spare wheel cage is being bead blasted and repainted so should all look new when done:)

VALE46
22-06-2012, 16:13
Well 2 days off work and bloody rained most of the time,but did get my genuine decals fitted + a few other bits and bobs, getting there very slowly though:confused:

VALE46
22-06-2012, 16:16
I also managed to get some of those grey caps for the bench seat hinges (brand new).

gtmatt
22-06-2012, 16:23
That's a mint job does mine to shame love it ,do you work at Renault to get all these parts ??

Ryan p
22-06-2012, 18:29
Great job, given me a bit of interest to get mine back together as its just come back from he paint shop. Must be costing u a small fortune in parts I had no Idea half the stuff was still available

Kris M
22-06-2012, 19:01
Superb !! :agree::)

Big Steve - Raider
22-06-2012, 20:23
I also managed to get some of those grey caps for the bench seat hinges (brand new).

Never seen these before :scratch:

Hoolio
22-06-2012, 21:04

Aren't the hinges just bare? Are you sure they are not for a different model? Not that it matters I suppose.

mattk
28-09-2012, 21:58
Cars looking good buddy, anymore progress? :)

bood
28-09-2012, 22:30
looks super :smokin:

Jay
29-09-2012, 10:20
Aren't the hinges just bare? Are you sure they are not for a different model? Not that it matters I suppose.

+3 on the hinge covers.
Also shouldn't the carpet be red ? Anyhoo, it looks amazing !

Jonny5
29-09-2012, 11:15
+3 on the hinge covers.
Also shouldn't the carpet be red ? Anyhoo, it looks amazing !

Think the hinge covers are off the Campus model.
Carpet can be grey or red depending on what option was picked from the factory when new.
Red does seem to be a more popular choice tho.
:)

casper
29-09-2012, 22:59
My carpet is pink.:laugh:

VALE46
07-11-2012, 22:38
hi everyone,sorry I haven`t posted anything lately (been working on the house so thats taken up most of my time and money)! I will put some pics on shortly of progress so far.Seats are now in but need some new seat bolsters for both seats,does anyone know where you can get them from other than cgb??

And also as I have given up on trying to located some mint door cards/rear quater inner trims I`m am thinking of the flocking option?? who are people using for this and can they get the grey colour or is it just black??

please advise if possible.

Big Steve - Raider
07-11-2012, 22:44
What's wrong with the one's you've got?? I'm sure a careful clean & they will come up a bit??

hickman
07-11-2012, 23:23
I used a member called Phoenix autosport(Carl) he maches the the flock to the original grey and his work is outstanding in my opinion he's done a few things for me if you read his threads he shows all the door cards and other stuff he has done for 5's looks just like new you should defiantly check it out

Big Steve - Raider
07-11-2012, 23:25
And he's not far from both of us ;)

Goobie
08-11-2012, 11:41
Seats are now in but need some new seat bolsters for both seats,does anyone know where you can get them from other than cgb??

http://www.gt-turbo-spares.co.uk/?page_id=26

£17.50p, Click on "seats etc" :agree:

Brigsy
08-11-2012, 12:08
hi everyone,sorry I haven`t posted anything lately (been working on the house so thats taken up most of my time and money)! I will put some pics on shortly of progress so far.Seats are now in but need some new seat bolsters for both seats,does anyone know where you can get them from other than cgb??

And also as I have given up on trying to located some mint door cards/rear quater inner trims I`m am thinking of the flocking option?? who are people using for this and can they get the grey colour or is it just black??

please advise if possible.

I have a minty mint set of front ph2 doorcards that id sell for the right price.

Flight666
08-11-2012, 19:06
How much would you be thinking of for your front door cards Brigsy? :)

Big Steve - Raider
08-11-2012, 20:20
I have a minty mint set of front ph2 doorcards that id sell for the right price.

The Brigsenator's got a load of contraband Renault goodness tucked away ooop there in Costa del Redcar! :study:

Renault 5 GT Turbo
08-11-2012, 23:08
Go on Brigsy, sell those door cards, this restoration project is worthy of them!

I have a contact in France I can put you in touch with if you want to get the original seat fabric for a retrim. I had my rear bench top sections and 4* bolsters retrimmed. Cost a fortune (the trimming, not the fabric) but there was no more worries of paper thin material splitting when getting in and out any more!

How about a set of the club's nice orange dial kits to finish off your interior?

gttjames
09-11-2012, 21:31
Go on Brigsy, sell those door cards, this restoration project is worthy of them!

I have a contact in France I can put you in touch with if you want to get the original seat fabric for a retrim. I had my rear bench top sections and 4* bolsters retrimmed. Cost a fortune (the trimming, not the fabric) but there was no more worries of paper thin material splitting when getting in and out any more!

How about a set of the club's nice orange dial kits to finish off your interior?

how much is the seat fabric?

Renault 5 GT Turbo
09-11-2012, 22:21
About €60 per square meter delivered.

VALE46
10-11-2012, 21:46
I think I will take photos of the rear quarters before and after and let you make your minds up?
Thanks for all you help as always,I promise this car will be finished one day!!!!!!!!!!!:crap:

Brigsy
10-11-2012, 22:24
Pm me a sensible offer mate :)

VALE46
04-03-2013, 21:23
Hi everyone, had a few hours on the 5 after a long lay off! started to put fuel/brake lines back on, but most of the clips have broken! does anyone know if you can still buy them??

Also It`s been a long time since I took the fuel tanks out so has anyone got any good detailed pictures of the underside of a phase 2 showing pipe positions and fuel tank vent pipes etc???

Any help greatly appreciated:)

Pigsnake
04-03-2013, 22:15
Hi John, good to see your getting back on with the five. Pm me your email address and i will send some pics over.:agree: .

VALE46
05-03-2013, 21:51
I Had a few days on the 5 this week (spring is coming after all) I have fitted shiny reconditioned rear axle with new shocks and all new genuine fixings, been trying to get some pics of peoples underside fuel tank area and routing of brake pipes and fuel pipes.....

i have made up new brake pipes and had the original fuel pipes re-plated,but struggling for correct clips and routing, so if anyone can send me some good pictures that would be grand :)

chris
05-03-2013, 22:04
Good work mate :agree:

gtmatt
05-03-2013, 22:08
Nice work .i am also after the brake pipe clips on the rear beam

philr5t
05-03-2013, 22:09
I have these pics mate if they help at all
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab97/philr5/FED0F99A-19FE-4A10-8A61-6238749E351B-2842-0000049B7A98C8B9.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab97/philr5/D4DA3B8E-AA4B-46BA-B735-9C432F4A3A14-2842-0000049B6D76699E.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab97/philr5/BC2EE5BA-BFB2-442A-9537-4930D7277080-2842-0000049B5F7C4065.jpg

philr5t
05-03-2013, 22:17
Also if it helps mate I have some more pictures in my project thread that may help you go to projects and restorations page 3 half way down is bringing my 5 back from the dead go on page 4 and half way down there is more pics

Jonny5
05-03-2013, 22:49
I have these pics mate if they help at all
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab97/philr5/FED0F99A-19FE-4A10-8A61-6238749E351B-2842-0000049B7A98C8B9.jpg

Jesus! :eek:
That exhaust system is massive.

philr5t
05-03-2013, 22:51
Jesus! :eek:
That exhaust system is massive.

Just a little :laugh: they say big is beautiful

TNT ANDY
06-03-2013, 06:33
be loud and proud :laugh:

Looking very nice:agree:

VALE46
07-03-2013, 21:59
Thanks for all the pictures, great help thank you :)

VALE46
19-04-2013, 21:21
I`ve been quite busy over the past few weeks and put the rear suspension on and fuel tanks and front subrframe and shox on etc, brake and fuel pipes all fitted and just need plumbing up to calipers etc.

I`ve found my dusty engine and gearbox in the barn and now gonna start sourcing lots of oe gaskets etc and then strip and rebuild it over the coming months.

Can anyone reccommend a very good engine paint? I wanted to keep it black, but would like some good stuff and not cheap crap that will just flake off :crap:.

grazie

GTphil
19-04-2013, 21:25
por engine enamel, its the dogs danglys, painted my block black over two years ago now and it still looks minty fresh :)

Frost restorations is your best bet;)

VALE46
19-04-2013, 21:50
Thanks mate, can you buy it on-line?? from frosts ??

GTphil
19-04-2013, 22:12
http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-black-engine-enamel-paint-473ml.html

think so, all i did was have the block hot washed and it just went straight on with a brush, i was concerned about the brush marks but they went once it went off. I also did my calipers with it i was lazy with those and just cleaned them with a wire brush, took a few coats but again still looks good now.

VALE46
20-04-2013, 19:46
Thanks Phil, I shall go for that stuff then, pretty expensive, but I guess you have to pay for quality! been putting the rest of brake pipes on today and fitted rear braided hoses.

Does anyone have any good pictures of the handbrake cable routing? I cant remember how they go and I lost the little pivot under the lever where the cables clip in (bugger hope you can still buy them)!!

Any pics greatly appreciated :)

dansr5gtturbo
20-04-2013, 20:48
If your still after seat bolsters I got a full set for both seats for £40 from ebay dont pay £17.50 each side thats a rip off price

Dave Reed
20-04-2013, 21:56
This resto is awesome! Going to be so mint when finished...

Great work buddy, keep the pics coming..

VALE46
22-04-2013, 22:11
If your still after seat bolsters I got a full set for both seats for £40 from ebay dont pay £17.50 each side thats a rip off price

Hi mate, I would definately buy a full set for £40! are they from cgb?? I sometimes find them very expensive ! let me know the link or item number

thanks, john

VALE46
22-04-2013, 22:13
Hi guys, I need some new or good condition battery leads and some good quality pictures on the routing etc, I`ve been quite busy on the 5 over the past couple of weeks and need some help with pictures of wiring and pipe work routing.

many thanks in advance :)

Pigsnake
22-04-2013, 23:32
I will get some pics out to you tomorrow night John.:agree: let me know what you need. Cheers

dansr5gtturbo
23-04-2013, 00:13
No not cgb item number 121079247801 seller tinted106. I paid £45 delivered they are £10 +£3 P+P but message him for a discount price for a full set hope this helps

VALE46
25-04-2013, 13:21
Hi, Gearbox has been sent off for full rebuild, I`m trying to source as many genuine parts related to the gearbox, just wondered if anyone has managed to get bearings for the JB3032 box??

haven`t heard from my gearbox specialist, but hopefully it won`t be too painfull !!

Oh, and a shiny new oil level sensor turned up today!!

gttjames
26-04-2013, 23:01
how much was the oil level sensor, and what do you expect the gearbox build to cost, who are you using as your close to me, cant wait to see this 5 done

markg
26-04-2013, 23:16
CGB do a gearbox kit including the bearings and syncros etc. When Colin did mine I believe he got the bearings from Renault so maybe worth giving your main dealer a call.

Goobie
27-04-2013, 00:12
Getting close now by the looks of it! Looks so good with the orange lights and side decals. :cool:

VALE46
27-04-2013, 10:04
Morning, I am going fit handbrake cables this weekend ( weather permitting) does anyone have any good quality pictures of the routing of the cables?
Thanks

VALE46
28-04-2013, 08:33
Had a few hours on the car yesterday, managaed to get front brakes fitted, but as always with long term projects I came accross a problem, the osf caliper just doesn`t seem to fit !! I purchased new ones years ago then just mothbaled them! now i`ve come to fit them I have an issue.

the nsf is fine (girling ) stmped on it (oh well, back to sourcing another one:(

LiamR
28-04-2013, 11:20
How clean does the subframe etc of your 5 look matey!! :)

mattk
28-04-2013, 13:38
Vale this is this benchmark for my project, your attention to detail is amazing mate, keep the updates coming 😊

Brigsy
28-04-2013, 16:05
How come wont the caliper fit? Sometimes they are a nightmare to line up.

VALE46
29-04-2013, 22:00
The caliper is an odd one, I`m a mechanic by trade so I`d like to think I know my stuff. The new calipers were bought about 2 years ago! there just isn`t enough gap between piston and caliper casing to fit pads? everything else looks good. ( I`ll get another one and go from there)

Thanks for all the kind comments, both my previous 5`s were mint and this one will be the same, It`s taking a while, but with all the various help and advice from members I will get there :crap:;)

Started cleaning inlet manifold today, the coolant ports are knackered! and worryingly different sizes (yet another hurdle to jump hey)!! the joys of owning a 5 I guess:scratch:

gtmatt
29-04-2013, 22:21
The caliper is an odd one, I`m a mechanic by trade so I`d like to think I know my stuff. The new calipers were bought about 2 years ago! there just isn`t enough gap between piston and caliper casing to fit pads? everything else looks good. ( I`ll get another one and go from there)

Thanks for all the kind comments, both my previous 5`s were mint and this one will be the same, It`s taking a while, but with all the various help and advice from members I will get there :crap:;)

Started cleaning inlet manifold today, the coolant ports are knackered! and worryingly different sizes (yet another hurdle to jump hey)!! the joys of owning a 5 I guess:scratch:

You can buy new brass coolent fittings.or plug them up .up to u

gtmatt
29-04-2013, 22:24
I Had a Problem with my calipers ,only cause i used Campus ones the discs are Sammler than gt so pads would not fit

michael tierney
29-04-2013, 22:25
ur 28mm core plugs are probably shot too!!:(just seen pics!water fitting either tapped to an m12 or a 1/4 bsp

VALE46
30-04-2013, 11:37
I have ordered two new brass fittings from CGB so I will wait and see if there threaded inserts or just interference fit? The problem I have is that someone has bodged a larger pipe in there before so I may struggle to get it to seal ???:confused:

I will post more pics as the renovation of inlet manifold takes shape! Also has anyone got the small clevis bracket that the handbrake cables connect to under the lever (I`ve lost mine) and stupid question. but the routing of cables?? they do cross over and go through the rear axle?? been a long while since I stripped this car

Photot of handbrake cables would be nice (help anyone)

Jonny5
30-04-2013, 11:46
These any good? :)

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u410/JonnyR5-2008/image-2_zps1b7cb9a3.jpg (http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/JonnyR5-2008/media/image-2_zps1b7cb9a3.jpg.html)

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u410/JonnyR5-2008/image-2_zps349f5621.jpg (http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/JonnyR5-2008/media/image-2_zps349f5621.jpg.html)

gtmatt
30-04-2013, 12:18
They cross over like that then go inside the arms of the torsion bar then into the caliper Any One Got Part number for the clips that hold cable on Bars ??

VALE46
30-04-2013, 13:16
Thanks for the great pics, I know I`m jumping the gun here, but what exhaust system is best for the five?? I want to go stainless, but don`t want anything to crazy noise wise!! and I want it to fit nice in the rear bumper and not too big tailpipe (any suggestions)

gtmatt
30-04-2013, 13:32
Thanks for the great pics, I know I`m jumping the gun here, but what exhaust system is best for the five?? I want to go stainless, but don`t want anything to crazy noise wise!! and I want it to fit nice in the rear bumper and not too big tailpipe (any suggestions)

Get an o.e stainless One Made up maybe the tail pipe a Little bigger

markg
30-04-2013, 14:16
I have ordered two new brass fittings from CGB so I will wait and see if there threaded inserts or just interference fit? The problem I have is that someone has bodged a larger pipe in there before so I may struggle to get it to seal ???:confused:

I assume you mean the hose tails for the inlet maifold ?. If so they are threaded, I got some from Bob a while back. The original ones had an allen key in the center to unscrew them but its a bit of a bugger once they have corroded. Think I did mine in a vice in the end.

Brigsy
30-04-2013, 14:20
Omp exhaust is good. Id do away with the coolant on the inlet manifold all together unless your after 100% oem look

Nad-5GTT
30-04-2013, 19:41
Omp exhaust is good. Id do away with the coolant on the inlet manifold all together unless your after 100% oem look

What are the reasons for this, is it because there's a constant hot water being passed through it? Would you keep the carb ones in then?

Brigsy
30-04-2013, 20:49
What are the reasons for this, is it because there's a constant hot water being passed through it? Would you keep the carb ones in then?

Well for performance reasons why heat the inlet when your trying to keep the charge temps as cool as poss. I would keep the carb base hoses on a road going car if it is to be used regularly in the winter.

Nad-5GTT
30-04-2013, 20:52
I did think this would be the answer:agree: just nice to know the answer from someone who knows what there talking about:D

gttjames
02-05-2013, 16:03

the 'old school' scorpion might be a option, there different to the current types. Tail pipe is smaller, 3/3.5inch - and bore of system varies from 2inch to 2 1/4 inch, some claim there was a 2.5inch but never seen one. Sound wise is not silly loud, very quiete normal driving but a nice burble on idle, bit of a roar on throttle.

You say you work in the trade, where do you work out of interest?

VALE46
03-05-2013, 08:47
I work for Murketts, have done for 18 years now!!
Latests pics of inlet manifold restoration, I bead blasted the manifold ready for paint, but still struggling on coolant ports,I fitted one yesterday, but I`m gonna have to fabricate the other side as the hole is too big to accept the standard size brass outlet
(fun and games as always):crap:

VALE46
03-05-2013, 11:14
And look what just turned up ready to be fitted on subframe this weekend :)

VALE46
04-05-2013, 19:12
been a nice day so thought I`d crack on with rear brakes and air-horn restoration! all coming along nicely and inlet manifold coolant port issue resolved! I will post pics of the end result next week.:)

Nad-5GTT
05-05-2013, 10:25
Top work fella, good luck keeping it that clean when it's on the road:D attention to detail is amazing

Kris M
05-05-2013, 10:27
so clean !!!!!!:):agree:

Hoolio
05-05-2013, 20:10
so clean !!!!!!:):agree:

I know, making me very envious. It's going to look stunning.

gttjames
06-05-2013, 08:34
I work for Murketts, have done for 18 years now!!

Ok cool, im at marshalls - cant wait to see your 5 finished. Mines in a bodyshop in Wilbraham, and iv heard there is another 5 at bar tech having the floor pan and sills done - havnt seen it though

VALE46
08-05-2013, 22:08
Which dept in Marshalls? I used to work there in the 90`s is the car standard? I need to look at one to remind me where bits go!

Let me know or pm me your number, cheers , John

VALE46
09-05-2013, 20:23
Inlet manifold bead blasted, new brass oulet ports and painted and laquered :)

VALE46
11-05-2013, 09:26
Engine and gearbox now being rebuilt so i thought I`d get the alloys out of the loft and fit shiny new uniroyals to them, maybe jumping the gun as car not ready for them yet, but just another job ticked off the long list hey :laugh:

westy94
11-05-2013, 11:42
Be careful that those wheel weights don't hit the caliper when you put them on, as mine did after had them refurbed :eek:

VALE46
19-05-2013, 20:13
Few issues with strange holes in engine block can anyone identify these or am I right in the s++t ??

Jonny5
19-05-2013, 20:29
Be careful that those wheel weights don't hit the caliper when you put them on, as mine did after had them refurbed :eek:

Mine did too :agree:
Any wheel weights on standard rims need to be towards the back of the wheel.

Jonny5
19-05-2013, 20:31
Few issues with strange holes in engine block can anyone identify these or am I right in the s++t ??

I believe a couple of them holes should have core plugs in them.
The ones with jagged edges look like failures in the block :sad2:

TopCat
19-05-2013, 20:32
I believe a couple of them holes should have core plugs in them.
The ones with jagged edges look like failures in the block :sad2:

:agree: core plug holes but the jagged edged one looks like a bit of a issue u need to address mate.

VALE46
08-06-2013, 21:17
Thanks for all the comments about strange engine holes. I have had an engineering company have a look at it and the guy checking it for me has seen these holes before and he says they are perfectly normal. (fingers crossed hey)!

Whilst I`m waiting for engine and gearbox to return I`m fitting new rear bumper and exhaust manifold/turbo elbow restoration. Things slowly getting there and really want to get this engine and gearbox back in this summer.

VALE46
08-06-2013, 21:20
More rear bumper fitment pictures :)

VALE46
08-06-2013, 21:25
And now on the car..

Goobie
08-06-2013, 21:37
Great build, so fresh in white! Got to be the best colour! :cool:

djinuk
08-06-2013, 22:47
Have you welded in new rear bumper brackets to pull the bumper right up ? ,i like it liek that

gttjames
13-06-2013, 23:45
looks amazing

safehands
16-06-2013, 21:32

Sounds like me lol

safehands
16-06-2013, 21:34
Looks so good uv done really well

VALE46
18-06-2013, 21:46
Evening all, well gearbox arrived back today after full strip and rebuild, its had quite a bit done inc bearings synchros and input shaft! all the rubbers and seals have been replaced, the rebuild was done by A1 gearboxes St Neots http://www.a1gearboxes.co.uk/

I would recommend them, the only thing I was a bit disappointed in was the cleaning of the casings. The box was in a right state when they got it and it was chemically cleaned twice but still not happy.

I`ve started the long job off cleaning the box up to a standard where I can paint it. I will etch primer it but would love some advice on what paint people have used and adhesion success :crap:

VALE46
18-06-2013, 21:49
Getting a bit cleaner now!

gtmatt
18-06-2013, 21:58
I just used sliver hammerite on mine

gttjames
18-06-2013, 23:18
how much did they come out for your gearbox refurb?

VALE46
19-06-2013, 07:41
Hi Mate, It was £300 inc vat. they have replaced quite a bit though, they collect and deliver for that though. Just a shame they didn`t clean it a bit better!

I must get over to see you soon.

gttjames
19-06-2013, 09:25
Hi Mate, It was £300 inc vat. they have replaced quite a bit though, they collect and deliver for that though. Just a shame they didn`t clean it a bit better!

I must get over to see you soon.

yer iv heard of the company - seen the vans around. Will need mine doing at some point.

Yes mate get over - i had mine running last night and im hoping for it on the road in 2 weeks.

Trevhib
19-06-2013, 11:08
I have no idea about these sorts of things but what about sand blasting the g/box casing with a fine grained sand?

VALE46
20-06-2013, 17:12
i WILL CLEAN GEARBOX THOROUGHLY AND THEN PAINT AND POST RESULTS WHEN DONE,

CYLINDER HEAD CAME BACK TODAY AFTER NEW VALVES FITTED AND REFACE/PRESSURE CHECK AND NEW VALVE SEALS, I WILL CLEANING THAT AND PAINTING TOO MORE PICS TO FOLLOW

gttjames
21-06-2013, 13:01
how thick is the head?

VALE46
03-07-2013, 20:01
Not to sure, but a quick skim and at least I know its flat and straight hey.
All new valves and now its been blasted and painted its coming on nicely, just waiting for engine to come back after rebuild.:)

NRG
03-07-2013, 20:34
He probably asked the thickness because there's not much on these heads to skim. I believe you can get thicker head gaskets to compensate for the skim as it affects the cylinder capacity. Too much of a skim is a no no.

NRG
03-07-2013, 20:38
Think 73mm is minimum thickness. And they started life @ 73.5mm.

VALE46
03-07-2013, 22:17
Just checked spec and its had a 0.15 mm skim so all good.

gttjames
05-07-2013, 01:23
Just checked spec and its had a 0.15 mm skim so all good.

but if its been skimmed before you got it aswell...

Depends what boost your planning on running, guessing yourl be fairly oe so head thickness shouldn't be an issue:agree:

Gtturbo
05-07-2013, 12:10
Awesome build :)

Just wished I had the money and time to do this to my glacier!

VALE46
06-07-2013, 21:49
As the weather has been very kind today, I have de-greased the JB3 gearbox and put a couple of coats of etch primer over it so hopefully ready for the top coats tomorrow.:)

VALE46
09-07-2013, 13:32
Gearbox coming on nicely, I will post pics when painted and all fixings replaced with new bolts etc.
dug out my oil feed pipe and will get it braided before full engine assemblt commences!

Bigfoot
09-07-2013, 13:35
dug out my oil feed pipe and will get it braided before full engine assemblt commences!

Is that new / been re-coated, or just a very good condition one?

VALE46
09-07-2013, 22:00
I had it re-plated a few years ago, but would like it braided, but local hose company want around 80 quid!! Does anyone know where you can get them from??:crap:

VALE46
10-07-2013, 15:32
Gearbox all done, just waiting for engine block to come back this week!!
Does anyone know if you can still buy the speed sensor and tdc sensor new??

NRG
10-07-2013, 18:16
GSF still do tdc.

mingblus3
11-07-2013, 01:17
Gearbox all done, just waiting for engine block to come back this week!!
Does anyone know if you can still buy the speed sensor and tdc sensor new??

I purchased a new tdc sensor from CGb as I needed it quick. Could not work out why the original bolts would not fit having positioned it correctly. So out it came again, when I took it out the holes are about a mm too small, had to use a round file to enlarge each hole for the original bolts to fit correctly. Finally it does not mount correctly on the bracket on the bulkhead, the slot on the back is not wide enough to slide over the black clip even though they look identical... All in all not great but new and reliable.

Gearbox looks excellent. I'll be doing the same shortly to mine once it's been reconditioned.

gttjames
11-07-2013, 09:32
gearbox looks good vale - what paint/primer/laquer did you use?

VALE46
11-07-2013, 22:15
Hi James, Thanks for comments on gearbox. After full rebuild the end casing was bead blasted and painted with RAL905 black, I spent a lot of time rubbing down and cleaning box before using etch primer, top coat was a star silver3 paint.

I have replaced most of the bolts and fitted new gearbox mountings, are you around next week mate? I want to come round and have a look at your car (please)..

gttjames
11-07-2013, 23:26
Yes I am - pretty much all week just give me a call or txt to arrange it.

VALE46
19-07-2013, 20:08
Small update, engine bottom end rebuild complete and here`s a few pics of masking up and painting the block. I used a wurth high temp paint then lacquered over it.
Flywheel was lightened/balance and refaced.

I will post more pics of building up,but may marry the block to gearbox then drop it in subframe and bolt head on we in situ? I could do with some help on a strengthening bar which I`ve completely forgotten where it goes? I will post pics soon.

PS- a massive thank you to gttjames, he is a top guy and helped me out this week :)

VALE46
19-07-2013, 20:10
Also a few shiny parts turned up this week!!
new speedo sensor
new tdc heat shield
new king lead
new lead set
valeo green box clutch kit :wasntme:

VALE46
25-07-2013, 22:22
Done a few bits tonight, fitted timing case with new gasket and oil seal, fitted sump and installed new oil level sensor and sump bung, I`m getting there slowly and may just marry gearbox to block and put back in the car and fit cylinder head afterwards.:crap:

gttjames
26-07-2013, 10:23
looking good

carefull on a new build you dont ruin the turbo, despite being clean and doing many oil changes i still got swarf in my turbo

Jeff Ninebar
26-07-2013, 12:42
engine is looking very clean and new:agree:. what paint did you use on the gear box?

Woznaldo
26-07-2013, 14:17
engine is looking very clean and new:agree:. what paint did you use on the gear box?

post #217

VALE46
31-07-2013, 15:39
More goodies arrived today !! new inner wheel arch liners and splash gaurds+ new subframe tie rods..:):)

Goobie
01-08-2013, 00:32
How much were the new splash guards buddy? :confused:

:cool:

Jeff Ninebar
01-08-2013, 10:25
post #217

cheers! think i need new glasses:cool:

VALE46
09-08-2013, 21:08
The splash guards and all new fixings were around £30 per side, just wanted to keep it looking clean and oe..;)

VALE46
28-08-2013, 21:14
I had a sunny day to myself today, so put the engine back in, fitted various new bits that have been lying around. New wheel arch liners and splash gaurds etc.

The only issue I have (which I`m trying to forget about) is I can`t remember how to set up the gearlinkage?? I have this JB3 rebuilt recently by A1 gearboxes St Neots, now I`m not saying they have Fu**ed up, but I spent an hour messing about with it and I cannot seem to select all gears!

If someone can offer any detailed help that would be great.:confused:

Big Steve - Raider
28-08-2013, 21:33
Looks Sexual!! :smokin:

The Gear linkage is a complete R-Sole to reset! I believe the trick is to put the gearbox into 2nd gear and then try to adjust the linkage to replicate that inside the car?? :scratch:

Kris M
28-08-2013, 21:46
Looks better than new!!!!!

Trevhib
29-08-2013, 10:20
Looks incredible. :)

Looks like you caught the lower edge of the bulkhead wriggling the engine/box back in, the bugger. :(

VALE46
29-08-2013, 13:32
Thanks for comments guys, I have pulled my hair out over this gearlikage issue though, I tried for 3 hours to set it up and no joy! is anyone local to Cambridge?? and give me a hand at all??

The gearbox has been rebuilt so I took it as gospel it would be a case of slotting it in and away we go! the thing that scares me is that with the linkage rod disconnected I can only seem to select 3 gears on the gearbox end selector fork?

Thanks for comments any help would be great :crap:

gtmatt
29-08-2013, 13:39
Looks amazing ,it took me an hour put box in rev ,now move lever in rev pos ,connect rod etc ,the problem I had was the rod on the lever was 180 out and to remove the whole unit and spin round if you look at pictures in neutral the rod leans back towards rear of car that's how you know its correct.

To get box in rev push up then to the left I think its a pain took me an hour but did it in end.

Your car iS amazing

VALE46
08-09-2013, 21:46
Well a quick update...I`ve sorted the set up of gear linkage (finally) !! what a fiddle hey. had a few hours so started putting bits and bobs on the car, as with any long term project you have good days and bad days!

The only thing I could do with is pictures of the starter motor heat shield brackets etc, I have loads of brackets that I have no idea where they go!

Any help always appreciated.:crap:

Nad-5GTT
08-09-2013, 21:50
That is just stunning. Epic attention to detail.

VALE46
08-09-2013, 22:12
Thanks mate, It`s taking some time but one day she`ll roll ( I hope)!!!

mattk
09-09-2013, 06:59
Thanks mate, It`s taking some time but one day she`ll roll ( I hope)!!!

She will :) and I look forward to seeing it finished, fantastic :)

LeeR5GTT
09-09-2013, 07:54
Wow this is stunning :agree:

VALE46
10-09-2013, 16:15
This maybe a stupid question, but I`ve received a new engine loom today (pic attached) and I had a quick look at it and it appears to have wiring for starter (large diameter wire) and the smaller wire for starter solenoid.

My question however, does the main battery lead direct from battery piggy back onto the starter live connection as well as the wire on the new engine loom?? HELP
Does anyone have a good picture of the starter wiring in situ????:confused:

TopCat
10-09-2013, 16:31
http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy315/R5skywalker/image_zps14c29595.jpg (http://s803.photobucket.com/user/R5skywalker/media/image_zps14c29595.jpg.html)

Different engine, but same principal.

Goobie
10-09-2013, 18:58
There is a separate fixed live from the battery to the starter, usually a thick grey cable with a big spade like connecter with one of the corners angled. :agree:

VALE46
10-09-2013, 21:33
So does it go straight on starter motor with the other large wire on new loom?
Also a few more parts turned up today, as I`m really trying to keep the car spot on OE I`ve sourced a few coolant hoses already, I would love any part numbers off anyone who still has them??

Also is it only the bottom hose that has a spring in it?? I ordered 2 just incase!

markg
10-09-2013, 21:44
Bottom rad hose is supposed to have a spring in it to stop it getting squashed and stopping the flow of water. Not sure if that also applies to the GTT as mine never had one which I was quite surprised by as I was only the second owner and car was only around 7 years old. Still I guess some mechanic at some point may have not been bothered to refit it as it would have taken at least another 30 seconds. Do you have the part number for the spring as I may try and fit one also ?.

As for hoses I am sure I have seen some nos on ebay Italy, France or Spain a while back so have a hunt around.

VALE46
10-09-2013, 22:02
The picture on RHS is of the springs, not a lot of money and in stock in the uk.

TNT Tricky Nicky
11-09-2013, 09:31
There is a separate fixed live from the battery to the starter, usually a thick grey cable with a big spade like connecter with one of the corners angled. :agree:

This :agree:

The one on the engine loom goes to the alternator, so you'll have 2 larger cables to the battery. One purely dedicated to the starter (grey) and the main power supply from alternator (red)

Can't remember off hand where the exciter wire for the starter solenoid comes from but I don't think it's part of the new engine loom

Been awhile and had to think about it but I'm sure that's the answer to your question :)

Kris M
11-09-2013, 12:44
On your new engine bay loom, you need to make sure the two wires that go to the top of the alternator ( yellow and purple ) are the correct way round in the plug, a load of new looms from Renault came with the he wrong way round from the factory.

with the plug fitted the PURPLE wire should be closest to the FRONT of the car and yellow at the rear

:)

Goobie
11-09-2013, 20:22
This is the fixed live to the starter. :D Now to really confused you as your going full O.E. :cooter: There actually ment to be a short bracket with a tube gromit on one end that fixes to the back of the block to hold it in place. ;) I'm guessing you proberly don't have this? :confused: As normally binned when people renew their starters. :laugh:

You "should" have a white wire with a female spade end that triggers the starter! I can't seem to find a picture to help show, maybe some one else will or if I can find what I done with my old loom il get a picture for you buddy. :agree:

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p651/GoobieAli/image_zps33a91192.jpg

Goobie
11-09-2013, 20:33
This might help you a little more. :agree:

(Blue Haynes Manual page 252.)

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p651/GoobieAli/image_zps61ed9280.jpg

Trevhib
12-09-2013, 10:48
GTT bottom rad hose is supposed to have that spring fitted. Not seen springs in any GTT coolant hose other than that.