PDA

View Full Version : pas rack or manual steering rack?

jamie_clioGTT
22-11-2010, 09:46
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

hi all..

just a quick one, im doing my gtt engine conversion into my clio soon and at the minute my clio has power assisted steering. now i dont want power steering when i do the conversion so do i need to buy a manual rack? or can i just dissconect mine and blank the pipes off??

thanks in advance :)

i l k e r
22-11-2010, 09:53
I've heard you'd need to fill it with grease to be able to use it as a manual rack. I may be wrong though.

why not just buy a manual rack and be done with it?

car.crash
22-11-2010, 10:18
I once drove a corsa with a red top conversion and a pas rack that had been disconnected. It was pretty much undriveable and was very unpredictable and the owner said he had to fit a non pas rack to cure it.

jamie_clioGTT
22-11-2010, 10:21
I've heard you'd need to fill it with grease to be able to use it as a manual rack. I may be wrong though.

why not just buy a manual rack and be done with it?

was just trying to save abit of money to be honest but yeah think your right, i'll just buy one and be done with it.

thanks for the replies :)

Adey aka Ewok
22-11-2010, 10:38
I've never had a problem doing it, I think it's a prob if the rack is worn out to start with but I fill them with oil and cap the holes

i l k e r
22-11-2010, 10:49
here, a quick search of the boards reveal some good info :agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=6104&highlight=manual+rack

jamie_clioGTT
22-11-2010, 11:22
thanks alot for that..

so do you think it's like what that lad said? tral and error?

am starting to think i'll just get one of an older rt and use that.

Bass J
22-11-2010, 11:47
jamie your best bet would be to fit a manual rack to the subframe before you put the engine in ...its real east to fit one ...may aswell ..one less thing to worry about ;) ..u can get a manual rack off a 1.2 clio :D

jamie_clioGTT
22-11-2010, 21:56
cheeeers dude :agree:

Tony Walker
22-11-2010, 22:27
Manual racks take more turns lock to lock to make it easier to turn. Try turning the steering wheel with the engine off. I think you'll soon make your own mind up ;)

I had to recover an espace today 2003ish non runner, steering and brakes??? might as well not had them lol.