PDA

View Full Version : standard engine without turbo crusies quite well

dave j gtt
13-11-2010, 14:43
I am surprised how well my engine go's without turbo in place. after my turbo failing i removed and mot'ed and taxed without.

Recentley i have been using my car for traveling to work and back, have drove on moterway and it seems to drive well.

Is there any problems running without might cause if used in this manner long term ?

Engine must have good oil presure and turbo must have died of old age as my engine dosnt or hasnt missed a beat. I probs done 3000 miles since using as my work bus :crap:

Plan is to give engine a good flush put back off road for a month or so , Buy new turbo and few other parts and get the old girl a respray to complement my brand new front bumper i recentley purchased :cool:

Tony Walker
13-11-2010, 19:32
ive just done the same thing, my carb ran super super off the scale rich tho, dont know why. be carefully if you havent got a wideband on. i had to make an air leak after the throttle to lean it off then lower the idle speed and richen the idle up.

SCHWARTZ
13-11-2010, 19:34
how have you sorted the exhaust and oil feeds etc... ?

dave j gtt
13-11-2010, 19:37
Simple plate onto exhaust housing with compressor housing and bearing core removed.

Then oil feed routed direct to oil return.

;)

Tony Walker
13-11-2010, 19:46
:D its pretty easy to do really, and join coolant hoses if you have them.

SCHWARTZ
13-11-2010, 19:54
makes sense bet you miss the boost tho:D

dave j gtt
14-11-2010, 12:53
Thats the funny thing, yeah you miss turbo.

But imagine diving without and it still drives :cool:

Give's you the smile factor, The chassie in standard form is excellent for me and the roads i drive on feels fun :agree:

michael tierney
14-11-2010, 19:29
same thing with mine...drove from hollyhead to london a few years ago without the turbo ...cruised very well at 65 with exceptional mpg...got me to the national day and back:)it a bit of a bitch when ur turbo seizes and u have the ferry booked!!