PDA

View Full Version : replacing front drivers wheel bearing

djinuk
27-10-2008, 08:07
I noticed yesterday that my front drivers wheel has loads of play in it, question is how hard are the wheel bearings to replace , are they pressed into the hubs ? , if anybody could give me a quick brief guide it would be appreciated :)

minty83
27-10-2008, 08:09
preety straight forwad on mine, remove the stubby axel, remove the cir clip, push out, put new bearing in, new clip, re fit:coffee:

djinuk
27-10-2008, 09:00
when you say push out, is that using a vice/press, or is that a few taps with a hammer?,

thanks

minty83
27-10-2008, 09:01
i used a press as there was 1 to hand....

djinuk
27-10-2008, 09:10
ah wicked , i think i probably will then, gota friend who has 1 so will make sence.

dave j gtt
27-10-2008, 16:04
not only do you need to press them , they have to go in straight,

you need a few different sized peices of metel, slightly smaller than the bearing to put against the bearing when pressing it out . then the same to put new one back in the hub.

you have to grind or cut a old bit of bearing of the stub,

make sure you really go to work on cleaning up where the bearing clip go's and clean the surface where the bearing slides in.
i use a bit of wet a dry to clean it all up and bit of brake cleaner.

i did my first recently, but did it in a freinds working garage and had a mechanic to hand for advise lol you need all the right bits.

???? is there any one who knows the sizes of the pieces of metal needed to pack bearing out ???? dint care to measure the ones i used :(

Purple_rob
27-10-2008, 20:35
Done loads of bearings with out the use of a press and I would say if you havnt done one before do not under estimate them.

Last one I done was actually on my 5 and it was a slight bugger.

My advise would be a club hammer and a shape (ish) chisle to get onto the lip of the bearing.

And I do it like this:

1. Remove the hub carrier with hub from the car.
2. Get a socket that fits comfortably on the back of the hub and inside the bearing. (basically going to remove the hub from the centre of the bearing first.
If you get someone to hold the hub carrier up while you do it this will make it a lot easier to bang out. you'll notive a part of the bearing stays on the hub.

3.remove the clip and start to push.banging the bearing out with your chisle. You'll need to atleast to hit it either side i.e top / bottom (it needs to come out straight. If you are lucky you could use a socket and hit the centre of the bearing (but I doubt it will stay together).

with the bearing removed thats the hard part done.

4. Remove the left over part of the bearing from the hub, this can be done a couple of ways. If your chisle has gone blunt faced re sharpen. find the gap behind the bearing part and start to open it up.
If you ind you cannot chisle it all the way of you can grind a slice through it. Have to be very careful not to go down to the hub. Youll find this nicely cracks on the last few mm and will come off.

5. clean the areas inside the hub carrier and hub shaft. bit of oil and brillo or something.

6. putting the new bearing in. Using the old bearing housing you will be able to squarely put the new bearing in. This need to go down ALL the way. You know when the picth of the hit changes. - replace clip.

7. with the hub facing down put the hub with new bearing on top and start to tap this on. - you can bang this on all the way using the good half of your old bearing and it can sit on the centre of the bearing.

Bobs ya uncle.

Now I hope that makes sense, I used to do a lot of bearings on the road and with out the use of a lot of work shop tool to my dispence.

I have the old bearing part if you wanted pics to help you out.

I plan to refurb some hubs shortly and if its of any use I could do a step by step for everyone.

Let face it, not everyone has a vice or press to hand but will have a dirty big hammer LOL.

Just a couple of notes: I descibe the chisle as shape but I dont mean razor - just good condition. You will crack the bearing if it doesnt go in squarely. and be careful not to score the side of the hub wall when removing.

I hope this helps :)

dave j gtt
27-10-2008, 22:15
really need to press bearings in and out mate ;)

crap job to do without the right tools or somone who knows what there doing.

dangerous dave
27-10-2008, 23:29
easy as feck to do if you have a press handy.....heres a run down of what i did

phoned Dan C

gave him hubs and bearing

watched while drinking tea:coffee:

job done.. thanks dan:cool::agree:

djinuk
14-12-2008, 23:58
sweet, im going to be on this tomrrow, what size nut is it on the end of the driveshaft, so i can make sure i have the correct size for removing the hub carrier.

dangerous dave
15-12-2008, 03:24
sweet, im going to be on this tomrrow, what size nut is it on the end of the driveshaft, so i can make sure i have the correct size for removing the hub carrier.

its either 30 or 32mm, if you have them your ok.. you can check the size without removing the wheel incase you need to roll on to halfords or the local toolshop:)

Purple_rob
15-12-2008, 13:34
Thats probably a 30 or 32 in experiance? but thought I'd just add mine have always been 30mm. Original ones on there and 30mm new ones from different suppliers ;).

Good luck