PDA

View Full Version : M.O.T failed

BluntyR5GTT
11-11-2010, 16:09
took my car for mot earlier i knew it would fail on the rear brakes so no surprise there but overall am quite happy with how it went for a near 20 year old car

heres the list of whats got be done

n/s hinge mount corroded bonnet retaining device excessively deteriorated. i have new louvered bonnet waiting to go on

horn not working. i have new horn and compressor in boot

the next few are all to do with the rear brakes which again i have new drilled discs and ebc pads ready to fit

nearside rear parking brake recording little or no effort

offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort

parking brake lever has no reserve travel

offside rear brake disc in such a condition that it is seriously weakened

nearside rear brake disc in such a condition that it is seriously weakened

parking brake efficiency below requirements

there is also a little spot of welding go be done on the o/s/f floor (cant read what else he wrote there lol) he had write that on for some reason.

advisory

nearside rear brake pipe slightly corroded. i have new braided steel brake hoses so can fit them with a new brake pipe

as you can see the majority of that list is to do with the rear brakes so all in all am quite happy nothing expensive has got be done and hardly any welding :agree:

Markey Mark (BD)
11-11-2010, 16:14
Check the calipers while your under there mate,most of the time its down to the calipers that cause insufficient braking on the rear

BluntyR5GTT
11-11-2010, 16:15
no problem mate, i do know the rear brakes are worn to hell thats for sure

paulsurrey
11-11-2010, 16:36
hi mate, you say rear brake pipe but you have new stanless braided pipe,think you mean hose mate,and he means pipe as in copper brake pipe:agree:

BluntyR5GTT
11-11-2010, 16:39
ah yes my bad paul i shall edit first post :ashamed:

Brigsy
11-11-2010, 16:53
Not too bad by the sounds of it mate. The handbrake when working fully only scrapes a pass, as mark said the calipers may need attention & check the pistons arent siezed.

BluntyR5GTT
11-11-2010, 16:58
bloody hell how come they only just scrape a pass ? thanks for the info ill make sure they are tested, iv recently seen new sets of rear calipers on ebay are they any good ?

clee
11-11-2010, 17:15
**** design .Same on the GTA and 21t .
You just need to set them correctly when installing new pads .Basically it's a stack of spring washers operated by a swing arm .You need to refit ,set the pads then apply the handbrake .
Sorry about today mate ,I've had a bit of a one but will be over soon to sort them out :agree:

BluntyR5GTT
11-11-2010, 17:16
thats not a problem fella honest dont worry bout it, was rough outside tbh. weather permitting monday would be good :)

dangerous dave
11-11-2010, 22:50
i've stuck new calipers all round on mine, all new copper lines, hoses, cables, master cylinder, disks and pads... servo and bias work fine so left them alone.

if the funds allow go nuts and do anything that has dust on it:D your cars looking tidy and i think new new new is what its crying out for:smokin:

Tony Walker
11-11-2010, 23:17
also if you can get to it, the point where both handbrake cables connect to at the handbrake end should be free to move other wise you will get uneven handbrake application. Mine was seized but managed to free it off.

dave j gtt
13-11-2010, 14:54
when replacing rear dics and pads cheak calipers out.

the rear calipers handbreak can be reset if the hand break lever is pressed b4 it was fit the will show no effort, wind piston back in fully cant remember fully what to do but one of my brand new ones, this needed doing as i had messed with and it didnt work correctley ;)

Adam 005
13-11-2010, 15:15
i'm lost.just how do you set the hand brake on a gt then:confused:

dave j gtt
13-11-2010, 15:21
To reset handbrake mechanism if lever has been operated before fitting then the piston should be turned "in" when the piston in fully "IN" then the piston should be turned "out Half to one turn. The handbrake mechanism in then set.

dave j gtt
13-11-2010, 15:40
Just to mention also most mot inspecters dont understand the brake compansator, i seen it twice, When i moted a mates car and also recentley on my car said it was seized yet rear brakes passed flying colours.

Yet my handbrake was showing lttle effort and hardley no effort on one side Fail.

To fix this i started by bleeding my calipers. why god only knows as this was never going to be the problem as rear brakes passed Brake test,

I fitted new handbrake cable to suit the other new one had had replaced with the
2 x Recon rear calipers i fit18months previous.

Handbrake wasnt all that back then when i fitted new calipers and got car moted. But it passed and i did not think to much about it until i recentley took my car for Mot and handbrake failed.

BluntyR5GTT
19-11-2010, 17:56
update

M.O.T PASSED :)

its good to have the car back on the road god iv missed it