PDA

View Full Version : can a blown turbo cause heavy breathing

Slim
08-11-2010, 14:15
just another quick question. I bought a turbo (blown) from the scrap yard and put it on. Can this cause the engine to breath heavy?, as when i take the oil cap off, there is quite a bit of pressure. :(

great,, i think i can hear slight rattling on acceleration. :sad: piston rings?

James5
08-11-2010, 14:28
just another quick question. I bought a turbo (blown) from the scrap yard and put it on. Can this cause the engine to breath heavy?, as when i take the oil cap off, there is quite a bit of pressure. :(

great,, i think i can hear slight rattling on acceleration. :sad: piston rings?

Is the rattle under load??

Slim
08-11-2010, 14:30
ye, only. Rings right? Weird how this rattle only developed after i put this turbo on. :mad: Ive had it with this crap car!!!!!

James5
08-11-2010, 14:43
ye, only. Rings right? Weird how this rattle only developed after i put this turbo on. :mad: Ive had it with this crap car!!!!!

Have you done a dry and wet compressions test yet?

Also have you revved the car out of gear and does it still rattle?

Any rattle isn't good from within the engine and I am at present thinking oil starvation and possible big end's knocking:(

Slim
08-11-2010, 15:00
Have you done a dry and wet compressions test yet?

Also have you revved the car out of gear and does it still rattle?

Any rattle isn't good from within the engine and I am at present thinking oil starvation and possible big end's knocking:(

its a very slight rattle. I rev the engine on idle and seems fine. No compression tests have been done yet. Its not knocking loud.. js soundsl like somethin small rattling :P :( Oil is always above minimal level

James5
08-11-2010, 15:47
its a very slight rattle. I rev the engine on idle and seems fine. No compression tests have been done yet. Its not knocking loud.. js soundsl like somethin small rattling :P :( Oil is always above minimal level

See what other peeps offer for advice as I am sure there are many others whom can add to this thread, I could be thinking worst case as I have Steve's recent problem on my brain at the mo

Slim
08-11-2010, 16:19
k,, think i found the rattle. The bracket that holds the accelerator cable was coming off. Thats sorrted now. Just wana know if a fcukd turbo can cause excessive breathing.. anyone???

markey b
08-11-2010, 16:21
what caused the original turbo to go, did it wear out or fail in a bad way?

if it just went i'd try and fix the cause or it could do further damage

Slim
08-11-2010, 16:39

the turbo that i have on it at the moment, is from the scrap yard. lots of play left to right, and smokes alot. Dno the history of it. I only put it on so i can drive my car to give my turbo (t28) to TD to rebuild, as its the second time its gone. But they didnt take it, as they feel it might be somthin to do with the engine. I cant check my oil pressure as theres somtihng wrong wiv my wireing loom or somthing (tried 3 difrnt speedo's and 2 different sensors :()

Only after fitting std turbo from scrappy, i noticed engine was breathing a bit heavy (lil smokey from catch tank) so i too the oil cap off and the pressure (seem to me) to be a lil high.

I think il buy a compression tester to check the compression.

James5
08-11-2010, 16:40

Well at least the rattle concern can be eliminated now, heavy breathing will more than likely be worn rings, liners, causing some pressurisation to the sump oil and causing some oil to come out of the breather.

Didn't you have this problem not so long ago when the breather pot kept popping off? has this turbo been added since then??

Comp test will tell you ref liners, rings .....

Slim
08-11-2010, 16:43
yes i did. Il do a compression test tmrw if i get hold of one. Starting to really hate this car now :(

Slim
08-11-2010, 16:44
no oil is in the catch tank tho :P

SCHWARTZ
08-11-2010, 16:53
buy a tester from halfords only about £30, test it and go from there. Wernt you trying to fit an oil pressure gauge? or was that another gauge?:scratch::confused:

Slim
08-11-2010, 16:56
buy a tester from halfords only about £30, test it and go from there. Wernt you trying to fit an oil pressure gauge? or was that another gauge?:scratch::confused:

Eh? no maybe your confusing me wiv someone else. My oil pressure gauge hasnt ever worked tho. :mad:

Slim
08-11-2010, 18:15
can worn rings/increased crank pressure cause low oil pressure or blow a turbo?

James5
08-11-2010, 18:50
can worn rings/increased crank pressure cause low oil pressure or blow a turbo?

Yes excessive crank case pressure can cause oil starvation

SCHWARTZ
08-11-2010, 20:08
Eh? no maybe your confusing me wiv someone else. My oil pressure gauge hasnt ever worked tho. :mad:

ah that was it then trying to sort it then. Guess it still aint working then?:sad2:

jimmy_b
08-11-2010, 21:56
i'd personally get a oil pressure gauge on there and just check the oil pressure. that your pump could be wearing and loosing pressure which in turn will could cause a lot of premature engine ware

Slim
08-11-2010, 23:49
i'd personally get a oil pressure gauge on there and just check the oil pressure. that your pump could be wearing and loosing pressure which in turn will could cause a lot of premature engine ware

Where do i get them from? If anyone has a spare i could use just to find out if the pressure is low.... ?? Any specific one? psi/bar?

Slim
09-11-2010, 01:48
this one anygood? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_37 7113_langId_-1_categoryId_165520

think i might get it tmrw... plus this... http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 9553_langId_-1_categoryId_165557

Slim
09-11-2010, 12:58
this one anygood? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_37 7113_langId_-1_categoryId_165520

think i might get it tmrw... plus this... http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 9553_langId_-1_categoryId_165557

can someone please confirm these parts will fit a 5gtt please.?

James5
09-11-2010, 13:04
can someone please confirm these parts will fit a 5gtt please.?

I use the Gunson compression tester without fault.

Can't comment on that oil pressure gauge but I would recomend get a decent brand and a mechanical type oil pressure gauge:agree:

Slim
09-11-2010, 13:17
thanks mate,,, is the oil pressure gauge (link) not a mechanical one?

James5
09-11-2010, 14:11
thanks mate,,, is the oil pressure gauge (link) not a mechanical one?

it's electrical as it has a sender unit.

Mechanical will just have wires for a back light and then some pipe that will T into the turbo oil feed, You will prob have to buy an adaptor for the mechanical setup

SCHWARTZ
09-11-2010, 17:37
bob at cgb sells a gauge and seperate adaptor think around the £35 mark in total seems quite fair. Im using the same sw gauge and it seems fine just make sure you ptfe or do the oil pipe connection at the back of the gauge tight. I also use the gunson comp tester and all is good;)

jimmy_b
09-11-2010, 19:10
Where do i get them from? If anyone has a spare i could use just to find out if the pressure is low.... ?? Any specific one? psi/bar?

i would speak to a local garage. we have an oil pressure gauge at work with you put in place of the oil pressure switch. just because the oil pressure light hasnt come on doesnt mean the switch is working.

i have a mocal capillary oil pressure gauge in my 5 and its well worth having (around £30)

Slim
10-11-2010, 22:07
update:

yay,, i think i fcukd up one of my spark pluy holes, by trying to put the plug back in, in the dark Oh joy :sad2:.

anyways.. that aside, i tried to do a compression test, most of the results were unknown, cos the needle on the gauge kept jumping rather than stayin still. Whats going on there? was jumping to about 150psi then coming down up down up down. Except 1 of them, that was clearly on 150(ish) psi.

Can anyone tell me whats going on?

Slim
10-11-2010, 23:23
can anyone shed some light, maybe where im going wrong?

Tony Walker
10-11-2010, 23:29
It should take a couple of turns to get up to full compression, 150 being good. your tester should hold the peak pressure till you release it. With a little button/valve on the side.

Tony Walker
10-11-2010, 23:32
Are all your breather hoses clear? modern sealed systems can give quite alot of pressure when you remove the oil cap. can also put the mixture out with the cap off (if it uses an airflow meter) Cant remember if they do or not. i wouldnt worry about breathing heavy if compressions good and your breathers are clear.

Tony Walker
10-11-2010, 23:34
Am i confusing you with someone else? you did sell your 5 and buy a glanza/starlet didnt you?

James5
10-11-2010, 23:45
Am i confusing you with someone else? you did sell your 5 and buy a glanza/starlet didnt you?

No not slim that was Garya whom done that:laugh:

Slim
10-11-2010, 23:50
It should take a couple of turns to get up to full compression, 150 being good. your tester should hold the peak pressure till you release it. With a little button/valve on the side.

it doesnt hold the pressure. Only on one cylinder :P why????

Tony Walker
10-11-2010, 23:55
maybe your gauge doesnt hold the pressure in which case you either got lucky and stopped it when both valves were closed on one cylinder(the one holding pressure) or your valves arent sealing on the other 3(poss tight tappets or burnt valves, but it would more than likely not run at all if 3 were down) you should prob do another test and not worry so much :D

Tony Walker
10-11-2010, 23:59
without seeing the car its difficult to say, but it sounds like your car is fine ? lol. check the rocker cover breather is clear they can get full of gunk under the metal shield inside. Heavy breathing = worn rings or blocked breathers, if you have 150 across all 4 you should be happy.

Slim
11-11-2010, 00:00
ok fine.. i'll try again tmrw... and update. :P

Tony Walker
11-11-2010, 00:02
good luck :D

Slim
12-11-2010, 11:52
ok well.. i havent done another compression test yet, partly cos of the weather, and partly scared of taking one of the spark plugs back out after just about putting it back in with dodgy thread.

Anyway... im thinkin of this gauge http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Gauges_&_Instrumentation/Gauges_-_Auxiliary/Mocal_Oil_Pressure_Mechanical_Gauge/1771/6471

is this what im looking for? mechanical one. Can someone point me in the right direction for the correct adapters needed please.

Shane P
12-11-2010, 12:00
is this what im looking for? mechanical one. Can someone point me in the right direction for the correct adapters needed please.

http://www.cgbmotorsport.net/sw-oil-pressure-gauge-0---100-psi-mechanical-1009-p.asp

http://www.cgbmotorsport.net/adaptor-for-sw-oil-pressure-gauge-1012-p.asp

Slim
12-11-2010, 12:22
thanks mate, but i want a white one :cooter:

SCHWARTZ
12-11-2010, 16:57
deemon tweeks sell the adaptors it would fit in between the turbo oil feed and where the old gauge takes its reading:cartman:forget the name.

SCHWARTZ
12-11-2010, 17:00
something like this maybe http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Performance/Gauges_&_Dial_Kits/Fittings_&_Accessories/LMA_Oil_Pressure_T_Piece/812/1861
youll have to find out what thread sizes you need for the gauge and oil feed etc...

Slim
12-11-2010, 19:48
thank you guys... i think il buy the adapter from cgb,, and perhaps the guage from deamon tweeks. But before i order, gna give one last check on my std gauge to see if its an earth at the back or somthing (if there is one)

Tony Walker
12-11-2010, 21:09
standard gauge is pretty useless, its allways good to know the pressure at the turbo.