PDA

View Full Version : refuses to go into 1st unless stopped

djinuk
06-11-2010, 15:01
My renault 5 refuses to go into first unless compltely stopped (not rolling) , it makes it a pain to drive.. the clutch is very close to the bottom of the pedal..

Brigsy
06-11-2010, 19:37
Try resetting the clutch ratchet:)

djinuk
07-11-2010, 16:56
reset the clutch about 7 times today, but it always seems to drop to the same position which is like , clutch engadges when pedal is lifted just slightly. Not sure if this is correct and i just need to adjust the linkage or somthing, it engadges all gears fine other than 1st, and engadges first fine when stopped.
:confused:

SCHWARTZ
07-11-2010, 17:11
Im not sure but wouldnt that be down to the synchro's?:confused:
Also try filing down the pedal stop there is a thread on here somewhere about people having trouble with the pedal ratchet.

5teve L
07-11-2010, 17:54
Remove the stop, file it down a few mm, replace, should sort all the probs.

djinuk
07-11-2010, 17:58
hate to sound a tit,, but pedal stop?, is that somthing on the underside of the pedal ???

doubt its synchos as it was fine, i fitted a quickshift and a fresh clutch cable and since then had the prob.

REGGY5GT
07-11-2010, 18:04
pedal stop is what is says, push the pedal down and look where the pedal would sit if not pressed and theres a plastic piece that pops out about 20mm big, file it down a few mm and it works the rachet different, well it did for me.

djinuk
07-11-2010, 18:20
sweet, ill get onto that tomorrow then, thanks guys :)

5teve L
07-11-2010, 18:54
hate to sound a tit,, but pedal stop?, is that somthing on the underside of the pedal ???

doubt its synchos as it was fine, i fitted a quickshift and a fresh clutch cable and since then had the prob.

I'm wondering if all the new cables are a different size (prob made for a different car??) , thus causing these headaches, you are the 3rd or 4th person inc. myself to have issues with new cables..
Stop is on the pedal box, push the pedal down & you will see it, just push the stop out from the front (you'll see it clearly when you're down there contorted :cooter:) , file it down a little at a time till it works.

djinuk
07-11-2010, 18:56
cheers man, will i need a second pair of hands to help set the clutch cable again or should it just slip to the correct place..

To be honest mine isnt a genuine cable however it looks very good quality, no silly ends or anything.

5teve L
07-11-2010, 19:12
nah, the ratchet will work properly after the mod.
I've added some piccies so you can get an idea of where to look ;)

Brigsy
07-11-2010, 19:13
Fit a genuine cable that will probably sort it, the aftermarket ones are usually too long.

5teve L
07-11-2010, 19:16
Fit a genuine cable that will probably sort it, the aftermarket ones are usually too long.
I had a genuine cable, & one off another car, didn't sort mine for some reason, filing the stop did though...

djinuk
07-11-2010, 19:20
ill file down the stop, if it dosent sort it ill grab a genuine cable..

Alex
08-11-2010, 07:39
Just take the stop out all together and see how it is :)

djinuk
09-11-2010, 09:12
ground the stop down and it did the job.. although i went a bit to far and now the clutch is a little to high.. fail :( .

although i still cant select first very well.. im thinking i need to twist the rod under the car slightly.

5teve L
09-11-2010, 09:44
ground the stop down and it did the job.. although i went a bit to far and now the clutch is a little to high.. fail :( .

although i still cant select first very well.. im thinking i need to twist the rod under the car slightly.
Yeah, if you had that all undone to sort the short-shifter you prob will.