PDA

View Full Version : Surround sound

Nayls
04-11-2010, 17:25
Howdy all! :)

i've just bought a new tv & now want to buy a new surround sound setup :)

i'd like to know if it's possible to buy a set that just plugs in to the tv? as i dont really need a dvd or blu ray player as i have a ps3 i can use for that + it's the dvd/bluray player that makes them expensive!

robbie506
04-11-2010, 18:47
Howdy all! :)

i've just bought a new tv & now want to buy a new surround sound setup :)

i'd like to know if it's possible to buy a set that just plugs in to the tv? as i dont really need a dvd or blu ray player as i have a ps3 i can use for that + it's the dvd/bluray player that makes them expensive!

you can get seperate players i have one at home which does not have a dvd ect but it cost a little more than some of the ones you can get because it comes with a serprate amp ect (cant remember the tech name :scratch:).

bonus is it comes with its own remote so you can play around with the sound system without affecting anything on the tv. i will have a look at mine when i get home and give you the info if you want. if i remember rightley it cost around £250.

Dudders
04-11-2010, 18:59
i think its called an AV amplifier, i got a second hand sony one with an active subwoofer (mains powered) which makes it pretty loud
ebay is a good bet......or i think i know someone with one for sale :D

robbie506
04-11-2010, 20:04
i think its called an AV amplifier, i got a second hand sony one with an active subwoofer (mains powered) which makes it pretty loud
ebay is a good bet......or i think i know someone with one for sale :D

thats the one i think :scratch:

TNT Tricky Nicky
04-11-2010, 20:33
problem with that type of set up is it won't be true 5.1 as most tvs only output stereo and then the amp converts it.

if your tv has a digial output then you'll be ok but obviously you'll need an amp that has a digital input.

another option would be hdmi but that will start getting expensive

JRP
04-11-2010, 22:04
Look at jamo speakers they do a neat little entry package, also look at onkyo

so somthing like this

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txsr608/onkyo-txsr608-blk

with these

http://www.soundandvision.co.uk/hifi/speakers/av-speaker-packages/jamo-a102hcs5-black

hope that helps,

andybond
06-11-2010, 21:34
avforums.com is a very good place to start.

You will need a source , such as your PS3 , or sky box.

You will need an amp to decode the source.

If you want to use the new fangled blueray sound HD super sound etc you will need to make sure the amp supports the HD formats such as Dolby HD and DTS HD. There other HD formats as well.

As for speakers , you really need to decide do you want floor standers , book stands , or micro speakers.

Your budget will be your only limiting factor. More you spend the better the sound , however its the law of diminishing returns at the top end.

Woznaldo
06-11-2010, 23:31
What Hi-Fi mag is also a top reference with good write ups and they'll often put a selection of kit together in different price ranges.

http://www.whathifi.com/