PDA

View Full Version : Carb problem?? one way valve??

UnstableCable
03-11-2010, 18:39
Hi folks

Having a bit of a problem since doing some work on the 5. Gave it a service and swapped the ventilation hoses that go around the carb to the telephone elbow for some silicone ones.

Since then its been running like a bag of crap! Wont idle properly and the brakes have gone soft as! Looking through over peoples threads I have gathered it might be down to the ventilation hoses and the one way valve as when I take the pipe out of the telephone hoses its sucking really strongly, so strong that I can hear it over the sound of the engine!?
Thing is I have swapped the hoses back and it hasnt improved it so I was wondering if its possible thats the valve has fallen out? Dont really know what the valve looks like or which hose its should be in so can any one help?

Defo no air leeks as I ve checked and double checked!

Sorry for the essay!

Shane P
03-11-2010, 18:59
Dont really know what the valve looks like or which hose its should be in so can any one help?

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=14875 Post 25 shows the breather restrictors.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=16755&page=2 Post 57 shows the one-way valves.

Let me know if you need a second pair of eyes on it, me and J are only down the road :)

TNT Tricky Nicky
03-11-2010, 19:00
The valve is the bit that screws into the inlet, there's a ball bearing inside that which blocks the flow, over time it gets covered in crap and either sticks open or shut.

Does sound like your problem, get a spanner on they see if they're screwed in tight if they are whip them out and give it a suck or blow and see what happens

UnstableCable
03-11-2010, 19:16
Cheers chaps I remember seeing them restictors on the floor after removing the pipes from the car! Hope I kept em! Will go rumage through my nuts and bolts! Will also take the one way valves of and give em a going over.

Should the pipe that goes down to the turbo be sucking air like that then or is that a problem?

michael tierney
03-11-2010, 19:38
sounds like you've left the breather restricter out of the L shaped pipe

UnstableCable
03-11-2010, 19:43
Yep your right, just been through my box of bits, found both restrictors, bunged them in and all is happy now! Brakes have come back to life and ticking over happily!
Thanks for all your help peeps!

jimmy_b
03-11-2010, 21:10
can you buy the restirctors?

michael tierney
03-11-2010, 22:15
i think CGB has them

UnstableCable
04-11-2010, 17:25
Hi again folks.

After a little more help again! Today I have swapped the carb oveer for one I have rebuilt using the rebuild kit and now cant get the car to idle below 1500rpm without the choke!
Guessing from reading other threads I may have a blocked Idle jet? But being the ametuer I am I dont know which jet this is so can someone point it out to me?

When the cars running and I have the carb elbow off I can see fuel bubbling and dripping from the round part in the centre, a squirt off fuel comes from the brass tube on side if I open the accelorator abit but nothing from the small jet next to brass tube. Is this correct?

HAndy
04-11-2010, 18:27
Hi again folks.

After a little more help again! Today I have swapped the carb oveer for one I have rebuilt using the rebuild kit and now cant get the car to idle below 1500rpm without the choke!
Guessing from reading other threads I may have a blocked Idle jet? But being the ametuer I am I dont know which jet this is so can someone point it out to me?

When the cars running and I have the carb elbow off I can see fuel bubbling and dripping from the round part in the centre, a squirt off fuel comes from the brass tube on side if I open the accelorator abit but nothing from the small jet next to brass tube. Is this correct?

when you pull on the throttle linkage ,you should see a very fine jet of fuel come out of the brass tube that aims down the venturi, check the big brass slotted screw on drivers side and check linckage and diapheramon bottom of carb next to fuel bowl, then double check that emulsifier tube (brass item with tube sticking out ) in top of carb has a seal underneath the base of it ,and check it is forming a tight seal, give away is fuel dribbling down under neath emulsifier tube:)

michael tierney
04-11-2010, 19:19
fuel should,nt come from the centre at idle....ur needle valve has dirt in it or isn't tight enough giving a high float level

UnstableCable
04-11-2010, 22:31
fuel should,nt come from the centre at idle....ur needle valve has dirt in it or isn't tight enough giving a high float level

Ah ok sounds like me problem then, whats the needle valve look like?