PDA

View Full Version : mx 5 daily runner

djinuk
03-11-2010, 08:51
Im thinking about shifting the 306 in place of a mx5 for a daily runner..

Its the only car that fits the bill of being cheap to run, easy to get parts for, cheap to insure (being uk spec) whilst still being fun.

Anybody had any experiance of these, it will defo be a mk1 with pop up headlights, only thing im a little worried about is the rot they are known for,it seems though that for 1.5k i can get a tidy little car, one in need of a bit of bodywork would be best as then it would be an excuse to give it a fresh paint job..

James5
03-11-2010, 09:32
Im thinking about shifting the 306 in place of a mx5 for a daily runner..

Its the only car that fits the bill of being cheap to run, easy to get parts for, cheap to insure (being uk spec) whilst still being fun.

Anybody had any experiance of these, it will defo be a mk1 with pop up headlights, only thing im a little worried about is the rot they are known for,it seems though that for 1.5k i can get a tidy little car, one in need of a bit of bodywork would be best as then it would be an excuse to give it a fresh paint job..

Cough cough Hairdresser's car:laugh:

djinuk
03-11-2010, 09:42
this i know :P, id jst play up to it though, maybe do it bottom half antracite , top half candy pink, then candy pink split rims .. :P,

5alldaway
03-11-2010, 09:52
i swear i would throw stones at you if i see you coming down the a38 in one of these, dont forget the brown leather slip on shoes tho if you get one

djinuk
03-11-2010, 09:54
there pretty cool cars though man, i cudnt have one in british racing green, or anything shabby looking, black/grey or somthing id paint myself i recon..

James5
03-11-2010, 10:27
there pretty cool cars though man, i cudnt have one in british racing green, or anything shabby looking, black/grey or somthing id paint myself i recon..

I do remember Top Gear rating them good but still i wouldn't own one. Buy it for you Miss's then you could get away with saying it's not yours and still drive it:laugh:

BriC
03-11-2010, 10:31
Do it... supposed to be fun cars

jimmy_b
03-11-2010, 18:36
awesome cars. are you looking at a NA (pop up headlights) or NB?? i work for mazda and we never get any problems from any of the mx5's

djinuk
03-11-2010, 19:19
na, pop up headlights spec.. thats what i mean the only issue seems to be rust but hey, owning an r5 im pretty used to that.

BriC
03-11-2010, 19:32
Don't even think they're supposed to be THAT bad for rust... don't forget they're getting on a bit now, and I think any car of that age will always have examples showing signs of rust.

jimmy_b
04-11-2010, 18:47
na, pop up headlights spec.. thats what i mean the only issue seems to be rust but hey, owning an r5 im pretty used to that.

thats about it tbh fella. rear arches are known to rust about an inch above the arch lip??? and the rear of the sills start to go. can pick up good ones for quite cheap though, even a few turbo converted ones out there and they really are good fun! more so than a 5 i'd say

Robbo
04-11-2010, 19:14
get a ****ter and paint it matt black then have fun

wrightygtt
04-11-2010, 20:03
Whenever I see a guy in an mx-5 I automatically think he's a bandit, I don't know why:laugh:

Tony Walker
04-11-2010, 20:18
Fantastic car to drive, gear change is super super nice. One of the nicest cars ive ever driven, just about enough power to make it fun.

RoboEK
04-11-2010, 20:31
Whenever I see a guy in an mx-5 I automatically think he's a bandit, I don't know why:laugh:

As long as you dont get turned on i think its ok :p

I had a early enous rodster (jap spec mx5) i only brought it to sell on and make a little mony on but iv gotta say it was probably the most fun car i have driven thats not a 5. handle really well in the dry and go sideways really easy in the wet. slam it on a set of wide 15s and get a hard top, at least then you wouldnt look like so much of a bender.lol

J$£5GTT
04-11-2010, 23:35

i dont care if you paint it matt black an have darth vader as passenger its still a hairdressers car......:cooter: