View Full Version : Car covers

clarkey21
31-10-2010, 20:33
What do you think of the car covers????

I have my R5 on the drive and was thinking of getting a good quality one to keep the weather off it over the winter...

Any suggestions?????

Cheers..

Sam Fish
31-10-2010, 20:57
Im not sure about covers.

I have heard they can trap moisture and can be slightly abrasive if they are moving slightly on the paint.

I cant quite believe they can be fully breathable to be honest.
And nothing can be completely abrasion free :confused: can it?
Although probably better than being stood outside all winter

G801CVT
07-11-2010, 14:20
For outdoor storage invest in an outdoor Carcoon.....

BriC
07-11-2010, 17:15
For outdoor storage invest in an outdoor Carcoon.....

They cost silly amounts of money though! Totally not worth it IMO.

5teve L
07-11-2010, 17:55
Not to mention you'd have a queue in the morning of mothers & toddlers thinking it was a bouncy castle :cooter: :D

Trevhib
07-11-2010, 19:24
I got cheap, elasticated breathable covers for £20 that I tied down using string and bricks. I replaced them once every 18months as they took a hammering.

They were brilliant. They did trap fine dust under them over time and because I had mine so tight the wind did eventually result in the cover rubbing a small amount of paint off the wing mirror edges (and the string rubbed a mark against the sill covers). However, you could easily guard against these things and in any case, I did once leave the car like this for a year straight when I went to Oz!

Anyway, whenever I removed the cover after a few weeks of the car being sat still during winter times, I couldn't believe how clean and generally protected the car appeared. Absolutely recommended over leaving the bodywork bare to the elements if you haven't got a garage. Just be careful to fit it thoughtfully each time.

The biggest problem is stopping the wind from getting underneath and ripping it off. :laugh:

Big Steve - Raider
07-11-2010, 19:57
The biggest problem is stopping the wind from getting underneath and ripping it off. :laugh:

TOP TIP!!

Get 6 small pieces of tough fabric and sew in four tabs on the cover where the jacking points of the car are, and then sew the remaining two on the front & rear.

Then when you fit the cover, run a rope around the underneath of the car tying the cover to the car!! Pulls it all tight and fits like a dream!! ;)

Never had a problem covering my clio like this for 3 years! :D

Sparkie
07-11-2010, 20:17
i washed and waxed my car - but i didnt polish off the wax.

i also bought a £170 fitted car cover for my mk1. its got 4 straps underneath that hold it down tight and also stops rain bouncing up off the floor and wetting the sills up.:agree:

J$£5GTT
07-11-2010, 20:49
i washed and waxed my car - but i didnt polish off the wax.

i also bought a £170 fitted car cover for my mk1. its got 4 straps underneath that hold it down tight and also stops rain bouncing up off the floor and wetting the sills up.:agree:

ohh were gettin 'techy'....:p:cooter:

Lomo
08-11-2010, 07:57
I looked in to this a few months ago and after general info/study the best value for money cover was from Argos. Quite literally only £20 and its brilliant! Had it on my 5 now over 2 months and it still does a fine job! Cant go wrong with it imo..:)

Smokey
08-11-2010, 08:23
I use one all the time and no problems in the year ive done so, mine was from Halfrauds an was like £40 water proof an breathable and softer on the inner side. Never had any prblems keeps the car clean tho can be a little powdery when the cover comes off after a while.

Mat

Trevhib
08-11-2010, 09:41
TOP TIP!!

Get 6 small pieces of tough fabric and sew in four tabs on the cover where the jacking points of the car are, and then sew the remaining two on the front & rear.

Then when you fit the cover, run a rope around the underneath of the car tying the cover to the car!! Pulls it all tight and fits like a dream!! ;)

Never had a problem covering my clio like this for 3 years! :D

Hi Steve. The one I had came with a plastic eyelet on either side. I tied string to them and stuck the string ends under bricks. Then I just punched a hole in the middle of the front and back sections just above the reinforced elasticated edge and did the same string/brick trick.

I went through a learning period whereby I realised I needed a fair weight to keep the cover on during the windiest of nights.

What Sparkie says about stopping the rain bouncing up is exactly right. Also, for Ph1 owners it protects the precious plastics from the sun to a degree.

Trevhib
08-11-2010, 09:44
In fact you can see the cover on here in the background :)

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=935&pictureid=10074

G801CVT
09-11-2010, 20:53

I agree that they are not particularly cheap (~£500 for the size 3 outdoor model) but the car goes into it clean and dry and comes out a year later looking the same.

It does resemble a bouncy castle (especially on a wet windy night) but in several years of ownership (1 indoor and 1 outdoor model) I have never had any issues or deterioration of any car stored in either Carcoon model.

Steven

J$£5GTT
09-11-2010, 21:08
i think car covers are ok if your going to keep it under wraps for winter or a long period of time,but to keep taking it off an then covering again...well i think it does more harm than good.
:crap: