PDA

View Full Version : Safe way of putting statrer solinoid on a switch?

doggydowg22
31-10-2010, 10:54
Hello all

My starter recently got jammed on due to faulty igniton switch.To avoid me frying another I want to have this on a switch so that if the igntion gets stuck on again once switch is switched off the circuit is shut.

I have located the wire in the engine bay (green and white) cut it and put a thick wire via choc box to a switch then back again.

How safe is this?

Should I put a 30 amp fuse inline before or after the switch and what gauge should the wire be?

Brigsy
31-10-2010, 11:02
Why not just renew with new parts? chances of it happening again are slim :)

doggydowg22
31-10-2010, 11:45
Wish id thought of that before id cut the wire to starter lol

Thundercat
03-11-2010, 15:34
Theres another option fit push button start switch, usually a good idea if your dash has lots of holes in already and need to fill one.

Woznaldo
04-11-2010, 05:08
Check out the "Click, click, click, click, vroom" article in the electrical sub section of the articles section.;)

doggydowg22
05-11-2010, 18:14
I like the push button start idea,fitted it all today,went to put battery to starter thick wire on starter and it snapped at the terminal so I need another one of thses now ffs :cry:

If I remove it is there anywhere that could fix it or should I just try source a 2nd hand one:crap:

Thundercat
05-11-2010, 21:04
best get another switch or if you know anyone who works in industrial premises theres lots of heavy duty push buttons available that will outlast the ones in the kits.