PDA

View Full Version : track wheels and tyres

philg
29-10-2010, 11:18
Im going to start having a look out for some wheels only for track days, im running 16" on the road, just wondering what the track lot of you find the best for trashing around, handling and buying slicks etc.

Are some 15" alloys the best to go for, as slick tyres seem to be easy to get in this size?

Do i go for some oem or aftermarket alloys, i fancy some oz superleggeras or similar, just for there lightness and there is plenty of air can get in with the thin spokes, or is a set of williams/16v alloys going to do?

Thanks guys

Sam Fish
29-10-2010, 12:19
If you can, the oz superleggeras are great. So light! We ran a megane with them, and they where perfect race wheels - seemed very strong too.
The team dynamics race 1.2 (I think) are very popular, and seem very strong - relatively light too. Cheaper option than the OZ :agree:

15" slicks are readily available second hand. Or even cut slicks.
14/16" would be harder to find but are about.

PS: dont use the clio 16v steels on track. They crack and can fail with track use - we have a few that are in two pieces.

philg
29-10-2010, 12:31
just the kind of feedback im after, keep it comming chaps.

SCHWARTZ
29-10-2010, 17:24
I have the team dynamics pro race 1.2's they are a resonably light strong wheel and for the price very hard to beat;) bought mine a while ago gone down loads in price since
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-5-15-Pro-Race-1-2-Alloys-Toyo-Tyres-/280575694932?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_ Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item41539d5854#ht_5127wt_1109

philg
29-10-2010, 19:05
I have the team dynamics pro race 1.2's they are a resonably light strong wheel and for the price very hard to beat;) bought mine a while ago gone down loads in price since
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-5-15-Pro-Race-1-2-Alloys-Toyo-Tyres-/280575694932?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_ Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item41539d5854#ht_5127wt_1109

I do like them, in black to :cool:

*Yellow*
29-10-2010, 19:18
Im going to start having a look out for some wheels only for track days, im running 16" on the road, just wondering what the track lot of you find the best for trashing around, handling and buying slicks etc.

Are some 15" alloys the best to go for, as slick tyres seem to be easy to get in this size?

Do i go for some oem or aftermarket alloys, i fancy some oz superleggeras or similar, just for there lightness and there is plenty of air can get in with the thin spokes, or is a set of williams/16v alloys going to do?

Thanks guys

Unless your running bigger brakes would go for the 13`s, slicks are easy and cheap to come by. Definately go for the alloys as like you say, the airflow helps cool things things down. I run the original speedlines......nice and cheap:D

Personally not used 15`s on track, but quite a few people say 13`s are the way to go:)

Olidavies has been running 15" williams on his cup car and is going to put a set of 13`s on for our last meeting at Brands.;), will be interesting to hear his thoughts.

philg
29-10-2010, 19:26
Unless your running bigger brakes would go for the 13`s, slicks are easy and cheap to come by. Definately go for the alloys as like you say, the airflow helps cool things things down. I run the original speedlines......nice and cheap:D

Personally not used 15`s on track, but quite a few people say 13`s are the way to go:)

Olidavies has been running 15" williams on his cup car and is going to put a set of 13`s on for our last meeting at Brands.;), will be interesting to hear his thoughts.

I have standard brakes at the moment, i also have a set of speedlines on the garage floor.

How much of a problem do big brakes become on the 13" alloys, or is it simply a no no and then just buy quality standard size disks and some ds2500 pads?

SCHWARTZ
29-10-2010, 19:46
not a chance of big brakes an3 13's:sad2: standard with ds500 will be fine tho. try them in matt black;) thats what i got:D

*Yellow*
29-10-2010, 19:48
I have standard brakes at the moment, i also have a set of speedlines on the garage floor.

Clean those speedlines up and have a deal with this guy,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/michelin-13inch-slicks-rally-tyres-trackday-race-tyres-/130447293156?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item1e5f43bae4.

This link isnt for the 16/53/13........... give him a call is best.

He`ll do you a deal on 4 im sure, your all sorted for less than £100;)

How much of a problem do big brakes become on the 13" alloys, or is it simply a no no and then just buy quality standard size disks and some ds2500 pads?

:agree: thats my set up.

SCHWARTZ
29-10-2010, 19:53
5's look soooo good on 13's tho so low

philg
29-10-2010, 19:58
Clean those speedlines up and have a deal with this guy,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/michelin-13inch-slicks-rally-tyres-trackday-race-tyres-/130447293156?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item1e5f43bae4.

This link isnt for the 16/53/13........... give him a call is best.

He`ll do you a deal on 4 im sure, your all sorted for less than £100;)

:agree: thats my set up.

So is that the size to buy 16/53/13 or will others fit, any preference on compounds?

What sort of money are they new, or is it just not worth it.

Im just looking to get the most out my gt next year, can not wait, not sure how it will compare to the old evo i had, much more challenging i hope :)

SCHWARTZ
29-10-2010, 20:03
a lot more driver effort none of those robots getting in the way and spoiling the fun:D

*Yellow*
29-10-2010, 20:08
So is that the size to buy 16/53/13 or will others fit, any preference on compounds?

What sort of money are they new, or is it just not worth it.

Im just looking to get the most out my gt next year, can not wait, not sure how it will compare to the old evo i had, much more challenging i hope :)

16/53/13 is the size the cup cars ran, not sure on other sizes, compounds etc, I just use what ever he sends....... they are sticky:D

Not sure on new prices, wouldnt bother for trackdays as going to be ££££££.

Youll have a load of fun in the 5 on the track for sure:)

philg
29-10-2010, 20:10
16/53/13 is the size the cup cars ran, not sure on other sizes, compounds etc, I just use what ever he sends....... they are sticky:D

thanks for the help :) can not wait to get back out on track.

phil

jesus in the seat of a 5
29-10-2010, 21:09

Gotta agree with dave...cup rims for the win...888`s, slicks or yoko o48`s, plus you keep that retroness that is just lush....:), nothing corners like a 13....and who needs big brakes..;)..infact who needs brakes..:D

Sam Fish
30-10-2010, 10:58
I would stick with 13inch to be honest. It will allow you to run lower maybe. The cup cars managed with standard brakes.

Although, I dont think I would always want to run on slicks... you may find you have more fun on decent treaded tyres, or cut slicks. It will allow the car to move around alot more underneath - much more fun in my opinion. Slicks are more likely to wear suspension components and stress the gearbox too. You dont want to jump the kerbs with throttle and slicks on.

I have had brief experience with slicks and treaded tyres on track, and had alot more fun with decent road tyres - although you will want to use some worn ones, full tread is not good as the taller blocks move and squirm around - which doesnt feel nice.

Saying that, I will be collecting a heap of 13inch Michelin slicks soon. From the fronts of the Formula Renault's. Ill let you know when I have them :)

jesus in the seat of a 5
30-10-2010, 21:00
I would stick with 13inch to be honest. It will allow you to run lower maybe. The cup cars managed with standard brakes.

Although, I dont think I would always want to run on slicks... you may find you have more fun on decent treaded tyres, or cut slicks. It will allow the car to move around alot more underneath - much more fun in my opinion. Slicks are more likely to wear suspension components and stress the gearbox too. You dont want to jump the kerbs with throttle and slicks on.

I have had brief experience with slicks and treaded tyres on track, and had alot more fun with decent road tyres - although you will want to use some worn ones, full tread is not good as the taller blocks move and squirm around - which doesnt feel nice.

Saying that, I will be collecting a heap of 13inch Michelin slicks soon. From the fronts of the Formula Renault's. Ill let you know when I have them :)

:agree:, excellent news, ps sam i have the low down on the tl...:)