PDA

View Full Version : tv warranty/home insurance

Nayls
27-10-2010, 11:01
im in the market for a new tv at the moment,i think i've found the tv that i want FINALLY!! :rolleyes:

anyway,i've read that the manufacturers warranty only covers the tv for one year? obviously i'd like it covered for at least 5 years as it's an expensive purchase.

now...most companys offer an extended warranty for a couple hundred quid (the tv i want is £1k so warranty price is high) but i was thinking i'd be better off with home contents insurance?? that will probably cost me more in the long run but then i have everything covered including my house keys & some even cover your loss of bank cards etc

has anyone had a claim through contents insurance for a tv before?? the main thing im worries about is the screen suffering from ghosting/clouding or even a broken/stuck pixel.

any help/advice is much appreciated :)

Bigfoot
27-10-2010, 11:08
Get a TV from john lewis they have 5 years warranty on all TVs

James5
27-10-2010, 11:09
Contents insurance will only cover you for an unforseen pure accident / incident, it will not cover for general wear and tear, failure of the parts within. So if it does fail as in goes cloudy or a board within the tv goes you will have to spill some water on it;);) accidentally that is.

Alastair
27-10-2010, 13:06
Nayls, google the latest consumer goods act (summary). Most items are expected to last a minimum 'life' with cost of replacement parts covered by the manufacturer and a sliding scale for labour with age of the item, upto around 6 years old.

Most extended warranties are not worth the paper they are written on as the act covers it anyway.:agree: I am sure someone on here has beeter web access and can cut and past you a link!

I am looking at new tellys too, Stuff magazine has at No 7 a Samsung LE - 40B550, and only £510 RRP, is it worth paying for a WiFi / THX etc TV if you have a decent laptop?

Hoolio
27-10-2010, 14:03
Nayls what TV are you looking at? Panasonic and Sony have entended, 5yr, guarantees at the moment.

Nayls
27-10-2010, 16:39
Contents insurance will only cover you for an unforseen pure accident / incident, it will not cover for general wear and tear, failure of the parts within. So if it does fail as in goes cloudy or a board within the tv goes you will have to spill some water on it;);) accidentally that is.

naughty!! but i like it ;)

Nayls
27-10-2010, 16:41
Nayls, google the latest consumer goods act (summary). Most items are expected to last a minimum 'life' with cost of replacement parts covered by the manufacturer and a sliding scale for labour with age of the item, upto around 6 years old.

Most extended warranties are not worth the paper they are written on as the act covers it anyway.:agree: I am sure someone on here has beeter web access and can cut and past you a link!

I am looking at new tellys too, Stuff magazine has at No 7 a Samsung LE - 40B550, and only £510 RRP, is it worth paying for a WiFi / THX etc TV if you have a decent laptop?

so if i was to buy a tv,and it failed after say 2years,then i could kick up a fuss,quote the consumer goods act & threaten to take it further then you think the shop/maufacturer would fix/repair the tv??

Nayls
27-10-2010, 16:43
Nayls what TV are you looking at? Panasonic and Sony have entended, 5yr, guarantees at the moment.

i was looking at the ue46c6000 (samsung) i know there's better out there & there's also similar available for less money from the likes of panasonic & lg but the samsung tv's look stunning!! not just the screen but the actual body of the tv

Nayls
27-10-2010, 16:44
Get a TV from john lewis they have 5 years warranty on all TVs

i think they're quite pricey compared to other places i've looked,i'l have another look on there though,cheers :)

Alastair
27-10-2010, 20:31
so if i was to buy a tv,and it failed after say 2years,then i could kick up a fuss,quote the consumer goods act & threaten to take it further then you think the shop/maufacturer would fix/repair the tv??

You wouldnt need to kick up a fuss, all big retailers are aware of their legal obligations, hence John Lewis / Sony free extended warranty... Just print off the guide from somewhere like money saving expert .com or the like and away you go. Job done.

Nayls
27-10-2010, 22:56
You wouldnt need to kick up a fuss, all big retailers are aware of their legal obligations, hence John Lewis / Sony free extended warranty... Just print off the guide from somewhere like money saving expert .com or the like and away you go. Job done.

that's a great help! :agree::D thankyou!

Nayls
27-10-2010, 22:57
just need to decide wether to buy now or wait for the january sales???

what ya reckon???

markey b
28-10-2010, 09:59
doesn't VAT go up in jan?

Nayls
28-10-2010, 10:08
doesn't VAT go up in jan?

good point!! :cry:

but surely stores will still have a decent sale on? though maybe they'l just pay the extra vat for you as a sale???

arrrgghhhhh!!! i want a tv now but dont want to see it £200-£300 cheaper in 2 months! :(