PDA

View Full Version : wanting to build an engine with over 200bhp what do i need???

Dan The Man R5
23-10-2010, 15:39
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

ive just bought a r5 and ive taken the engine out ready to hav an engine rebuild im wanting over 200bhp what do i need for it to be able to get over 200bhp atm its got knife egde crank, lightned flywheel , uprated cam, t25 turbo,2 1/2 inch downpipe,double capacity intercooler, uprated fuel pump carb apparently set up for 18psi no proof tho i dont know a huge amount about these r5 and what is a vnt turbo as ive read tht alot hav them on cheers:)

J$£5GTT
23-10-2010, 15:45
im sure folk will point you in right direction but for now there is so much info in a search-

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/search.php?searchid=7100
:)

Shane P
23-10-2010, 15:48
Speak to http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34 about VNT's , i imagine he can tell you all you need to know.

As for 200hp, a wideband kit will probably be your next purchase in the quest for that much power :)

dangerous dave
23-10-2010, 15:50
:agree:using brains will get you there quicker than bolt on goodies from tooners, and keep you from going boom boom like people of the past..:)

philr5t
23-10-2010, 16:04
with the set up you have listed i would have thought you would have seen figures around the 200 bhp mark mate depending on what cam you have and getting the fuelling correct for the boost you will need to run to get you near 200

how much more are you trying to get over the 200 bhp mark mate

phil :agree:

J$£5GTT
23-10-2010, 16:56
all well an fair to be wanting a nice engine nudging 200 horse but what is the rest of the car like?.....brakes,suspension etc....?
:)

Dan The Man R5
23-10-2010, 16:59

well i was looking into buying a stage 3 head ,forged pistons and rods ,tubular manifold with maybe a t28 but dont know how much bhp tht would give me any ideas???

Dan The Man R5
23-10-2010, 17:04

ive ordered a big brake coversion for it as they were standard brakes and grooved rear discs and its got gaz coilovers aswell so i fink tht wud be sutible for the extra power wanted

Adam 005
23-10-2010, 17:22

ive ordered a big brake coversion for it as they were standard brakes and grooved rear discs and its got gaz coilovers aswell so i fink tht wud be sutible for the extra power wanted

big brakes not needed yet bud:)
200 bhp is possible but spend you money wisely.I.e the correct turbo.side exit exhaust.frount mount cooler.wide band afr gauge and some time spent on the carb to get the fueling correct and a good cam.there are a few other things you will need to do but there a some very helpfull and knowledgeable members here who will help you on you quest for 200bhp:)

James5
23-10-2010, 18:07
big brakes not needed yet bud:)
200 bhp is possible but spend you money wisely.I.e the correct turbo.side exit exhaust.frount mount cooler.wide band afr gauge and some time spent on the carb to get the fueling correct and a good cam.there are a few other things you will need to do but there a some very helpfull and knowledgeable members here who will help you on you quest for 200bhp:)

:agree:Spend your money wiseley plenty of advice can be given and had from RTOC and don;t believe the tuners sales pitches and claims

Rob1980
23-10-2010, 18:21

well i was looking into buying a stage 3 head ,forged pistons and rods ,tubular manifold with maybe a t28 but dont know how much bhp tht would give me any ideas???

Scrap this list mate, you do not any of it. A standard C1J engine internally will cope with 200bhp as long as you have correctly fuelled for your boost level. As the guys have said spend wisely. Stage 3 this or group A that mean nothing, its just expressions tuners use to sell their products to naive customers. If it sounds good then it must be good right?!:disagree:

As a start I would say to get a wideband kit, uprate your cam to maybe a 285, get a T25 turbo, front mount intercooler and fuel it correctly for 16 - 18psi and you should get roughly there.

michael tierney
23-10-2010, 19:00
new head bolts and gaskit,new clutch,t25 turbo,welded intercooler with decent hoses,2.5"exhaust system +down pipe, modified carb with a larger venturi plus enricher and wide band afr.:)

jesus in the seat of a 5
23-10-2010, 19:18
over 200bhp.....id say an AA card....:laugh:..:wasntme:, good luck, personally id aim for 18psi with the mods you allready have , get the fuelling and COOLING bang on and have good power and RELIABILITY... ftw, might save you from posting on here in the future that its constantly breaking down....;)

Penfold aka The Dealer
23-10-2010, 19:32
Agree with 99% of whats been said...

What is the big deal about 200bhp??? Get a reliable figure, a figure easily achieved and a figure that shouldnt put to much strain on the engine and transmission... 180ish is a good alround figure to aim for.

Can be had very easily, wont kill a clutch, shouldnt destroy gearbox's or driveshafts...

Also its how you drive the car that counts.... not the power...:)

Also avoid Max power tuners etc, get to know local members, members on here who can sort out your car and give u good honest advise.

Kenny_GTT
23-10-2010, 20:04
You don't really need forged pistons for 200BHP. The standard pistons are quite good. :agree: I think steel liners are more important.

Markey Mark (BD)
23-10-2010, 23:04
Standard engine with:

-decent cam timed up correctly
-well spec'd T25 or T28
-decent intercooler
-good exhaust (preferably 2 1/2")
-well set up standard venturi carb
-slotted flywheel

That should see the 200bhp mark

With that it goes without saying make sure the cooling system and the fuel system is up to scratch.

rs250nut
23-10-2010, 23:40
You don't really need forged pistons for 200BHP. The standard pistons are quite good. :agree: I think steel liners are more important.

If you ask me steel liners are overpriced and not needed and wreck rings. Decent turbo t28, decent carb, fmic,2.5 inch exhaust, wideband and you
are there.Ran low 13's and at best a 108mph on a standard cam.

J$£5GTT
24-10-2010, 18:59
Standard engine with:

-decent cam timed up correctly
-well spec'd T25 or T28
-decent intercooler
-good exhaust (preferably 2 1/2")
-well set up standard venturi carb
-slotted flywheel

That should see the 200bhp mark

With that it goes without saying make sure the cooling system and the fuel system is up to scratch.

with money left over to spend on other stuff,brakes,shocks,bearings,ball joints,starters,alternators,fuel pumps,fuel filters,plugs,leads,dizzy cap,oil,
exhaust,tyres..etc......whats she like underneath....welding...