PDA

View Full Version : broken thread

Jimmy_GTT
23-10-2010, 12:25
I've changed my manifold gasket and when I put the exhaust manifold back I had to realise that last thread (at the driver side) is broken in the head.
What should I do?
Do you think the other 11 screws will hold the inlet and exhaust in its place and it won't blow out?
Or shall I try to glue a screw into this broken thread?
Thanks for the help!

TNT Tricky Nicky
23-10-2010, 13:44
I've driven around not knowing that I lost a nut and had a stud missing, only found out when I changed the clutch so it should be fine.

probably best to drill out the broken stud and replace it at some point if you get the opportunity though

Jimmy_GTT
23-10-2010, 14:28
Maybe I was not correct. So not the bolt is broken only the thread in the cylinder head is dead. ;)
So I was able to get the bolt out and I have seen that nearly all the thread from the cylinder head is on the bolt. :(
I've put another bolt back with some Loctite but I do not know how much I can tighten the nut on it.
Maybe it would be better to use some epoxy glue instead of the Loctite (blue)?
Or shall I try to secure the bolt with a pillers till I fasten the nut?

5teve L
23-10-2010, 17:52
Sounds like you need to Helicoil the hole Jimmy, that or drill out slightly larger & re-tap it & add a larger bolt in. Or maybe if you are lucky a slightly longer stud will bite.

Jimmy_GTT
24-10-2010, 06:28
Sounds like you need to Helicoil the hole Jimmy, that or drill out slightly larger & re-tap it & add a larger bolt in. Or maybe if you are lucky a slightly longer stud will bite.

Unfortunately there is no place for a longer stud.
And for the other solutions I have to take the head off. And I really don't want it. :sad2:
But if it blow off than I have to take it off during the winter.
Any other idea that worth give a try?

James5
24-10-2010, 11:51
Jimmy, to be honest having 1 bolt / stud missing will prob make no difference, I have worked on 5's which have 3 or 4 studs and bolts missing and not had any blowing or problems with and have been running like tha for god knows how long before I noticed. Personally just run it see what it's like otherwise it looks like helicoiling

SCHWARTZ
24-10-2010, 17:09
give some chemical metal a try i dont know how good it is with alloy but should be better than nothing.

Jimmy_GTT
24-10-2010, 17:44
Thanks for all the advices.
I'll check if there is any blow off. If yes, I'll give a try the 2 componenet plastic steel epoxy. ;)

Tony Walker
24-10-2010, 19:43
To get the most out of the thread, you should get a bolt and a nut & washer, clean the hole out, wind the bolt in(with the nut and washer on) with lots of loctite then let it set for 10/15 mins then tighten the nut on to the manifold. But do this nut as the last one, tighten all the others first.

Jimmy_GTT
24-10-2010, 20:33
To get the most out of the thread, you should get a bolt and a nut & washer, clean the hole out, wind the bolt in(with the nut and washer on) with lots of loctite then let it set for 10/15 mins then tighten the nut on to the manifold. But do this nut as the last one, tighten all the others first.

That's what I did. New bolt is in with lots of Loctite, and all other nuts are tighten. But I haven't really tightend the nut on this last one only just a bit. I do not dare to tighten it as the other ones. :crap:

Tony Walker
24-10-2010, 20:50
It should be allright if you got it a bit tight. Just keep your fingers crossed :D

Brigsy
24-10-2010, 21:35
One stud missing wont hurt, i done circa 50'000 miles with the same one missing with no probs;)

Heli-coil will sort it, i done mine when engine was out to save removing the head.