PDA

View Full Version : piper 300 cam set up

d110rkjste
20-10-2010, 21:00
need to set the cam and timing up, now does any one know the maths equation to when the valves should open etc, only have the piper 285 dial cheers hope this makes sense

the 285 cam has the round dial to set up the timing of the engine. now this must be different for a piper 300 cam?

Andrew Cooke
20-10-2010, 21:12
that makes no sense:scratch:

tricky dickie
20-10-2010, 21:20
First post!

IVE JUST HAD MY 300FITTED AT LOCKSIDE ENGINEERING IN CASTLEFORD THEY DID NOT USE A DIAL GUAGE ALL THEY DO IS PUT A CAMEREA IN THE SPARK PLUG HOLE AND CAN SEE WHEN VALVES OPEN AND CLOSE THEY TOLD ME THEY SET TAPPETS AT 9 THOU THIS GUY WAS 73 SO I THINK HE KNOWS WHAT IS WHAT AS BEEN AT IT ALL HIS LIFE :)

Robbo
20-10-2010, 21:29
:popcorn:

Kris M
20-10-2010, 21:39
:coffee:

tiff_lee
20-10-2010, 21:51
:cartman:

Markey Mark (BD)
20-10-2010, 21:59
First post!

IVE JUST HAD MY 300FITTED AT LOCKSIDE ENGINEERING IN CASTLEFORD THEY DID NOT USE A DIAL GUAGE ALL THEY DO IS PUT A CAMEREA IN THE SPARK PLUG HOLE AND CAN SEE WHEN VALVES OPEN AND CLOSE THEY TOLD ME THEY SET TAPPETS AT 9 THOU THIS GUY WAS 73 SO I THINK HE KNOWS WHAT IS WHAT AS BEEN AT IT ALL HIS LIFE :)

:confused: How can you set cam timing with a camera

Markey Mark (BD)
20-10-2010, 22:01
need to set the cam and timing up, now does any one know the maths equation to when the valves should open etc, only have the piper 285 dial cheers hope this makes sense

The dial gauge/wheel you use is the same for any cam, you adjust the vernier to set the opening in the inlet valves to the desired deg's you want.

tricky dickie
20-10-2010, 22:08
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

NOT TOO SURE BUT ENGINE RUNS SWEET ALSO TAPPETS SMOOTH THIS GUY WAS WORKING ON THE CIJ 30 YEARS AGO WHILE I WAS STILLON MY ATARI

Sparkie
20-10-2010, 22:09
First post!

the tappets need to be looser than that.

brain function starts to decline rapidly after 50.....

Markey Mark (BD)
20-10-2010, 22:12
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

NOT TOO SURE BUT ENGINE RUNS SWEET ALSO TAPPETS SMOOTH THIS GUY WAS WORKING ON THE CIJ 30 YEARS AGO WHILE I WAS STILLON MY ATARI

Yeah it will run but to get an exact figure of the cam timing you need a dial gauge and wheel, depending on how he's set it up it could have too much advance or retard just by looking down the plug hole and guessing it.

Are you using a vernier wheel or just the orignal wheel?

tiff_lee
20-10-2010, 22:17

Just for reference would you recommend using a vernier wheel or offset woodruff keys with aftermarket cams. I'm guessing the latter is a lot cheap although the vernier allows much more flexibility with regards to adjustment?

Also welcome to RTOC Trickie, no need for the caps fella ;)

Markey Mark (BD)
20-10-2010, 22:19
Just for reference would you recommend using a vernier wheel or offset woodruff keys with aftermarket cams. I'm guessing the latter is a lot cheap although the vernier allows much more flexibility with regards to adjustment?

I'd recomend a vernier mate to get the most out of the cam and to make sure its timed up correctly

tiff_lee
20-10-2010, 22:24
I'd recomend a vernier mate to get the most out of the cam and to make sure its timed up correctly

Cheers mate :agree:

TNT ANDY
20-10-2010, 22:26
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=548

Can't get much simpler than that.

Must get my vernier fitted at some point, I have a 285 and believe they can be way out.

Andrew Cooke
20-10-2010, 23:12
Yeah it will run but to get an exact figure of the cam timing you need a dial gauge and wheel, depending on how he's set it up it could have too much advance or retard just by looking down the plug hole and guessing it.

I imagine you can get it close enough by holding at TDC and swinging the cam until both valves are open the same amount, but it depends upon what the camera can see.

Mind, my Dad's 73, he assures me he knows what he's doing but he's going nowhere near my cam :D

Bass J
20-10-2010, 23:33
:confused: How can you set cam timing with a camera

Lol ..this made me giggle ..dunno about anyone else :laugh::laugh: