PDA

View Full Version : One sided weight issue.

rulya5
20-10-2010, 12:24
This is off topic regards the GTT engine but anyone with some weight distribution knowledge might help me out here. I'm putting a Kawasaki 1200cc engine into a GTT shell.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=17828

You can see that the engine is to one side of the bay in front of the passenger. I plan on locating the battery,coolant bottles and every other ancillaries to the open space to try and even up the weight issue.

Question: Would the driver when in position, even out the weight over the front suspension or would I have to convert to coilovers to finely adjust the driver side.

Engine weight: 97KG
Driver weight: 77KG

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Sparkie
20-10-2010, 14:22
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

eat more pies....

Duncan Grier
20-10-2010, 16:06
Have you weighed the car on corner weights yet? Sorry if you have covered it in your other thread, not read it.

Certainly good pratice to try and balance it out the best you can but you may be suprised once you have the data. Also take into account wether you will be the only driver or a pax most of the time and then stick a ballast in for the weighing.

I would prob have gone mid / rear engineed for ease of instal and weight saving but depends if your keeping more oe looks and back seats etc

Should go really well, most people would never notice the difference of the weight balance but having decent suspension setup does give you a level of adjustment (to a degree) and worth considering if funds allow but prob best to get it up and running 1st ;)

Good luck and def base stuff on data :agree:

DG

Andrew Cooke
20-10-2010, 20:46
the engine isn't that far to one side, and the driver isn't that far off to the other side. Just build it, fit the stuff where it fits, and worry about it once you've weighed it.

rulya5
26-10-2010, 11:41
All advice taken on board and completely dismissed :D Thanks. It seems the consensuses is just build her and see how it sits when all is done? Seems fair and most likely what I would've done but it's nice to use the knowledge on here when I can because it's not exactly a 'normal' project.

dangerous dave
26-10-2010, 17:17
All advice taken on board and completely dismissed :D Thanks. It seems the consensuses is just build her and see how it sits when all is done? Seems fair and most likely what I would've done but it's nice to use the knowledge on here when I can because it's not exactly a 'normal' project.

your are along on the bike engine in a 5, im not sure anyones done it in the past.. most people what do exactly what you'll do........hope:D