PDA

View Full Version : will it affect it?

chris290582
20-10-2010, 08:54
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

hey folks,
ive been putting my engine back in my car recently and ive put the alternator back on and after running for a couple of mins the battery was flat.
i put a volt meter on the alternator and it was putting out practically nothing when i bump started it. new alt time:mad:
but prior to that and this is the question at hand here:
does the knackered alternator affect the fan switch and fan motor working as the wires from them come from the alternator + & -?
any help greatly appreciated.
i havent bought my new alt yet im just asking in case i need to buy more stuff aswell as the alt!

Woznaldo
20-10-2010, 10:23
Sounds like the alternator may be wired up wrong as it provides the positive supply for the rad fan but, this is also directly linked to the battery?

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Wiring%20diagrams/WD107%20ENGINE%20COOLING%20FAN.JPG

Woznaldo
20-10-2010, 10:25
Whoa! That is way bigger than I was expecting!!!!!!:eek:

chris290582
20-10-2010, 15:08
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

all sorted! :agree: cheers dude, the alternator was wired up wrong at engine loom junction block behind the headlight, mine had been cut and joined you see when i bought the car :mad: but now after a bit of haynes time put the correct wires in place and the alt isa putting out a decent rate of charge. havent had time today to check the rad fan switch yet, im going to do that on friday.

Alex
20-10-2010, 17:48
Whoa! That is way bigger than I was expecting!!!!!!:eek:

That's what she said..... :laugh: