PDA

View Full Version : b18ft conversion tax

SCHWARTZ
17-10-2010, 20:16
finaly got my car mot'd so a big thanks to all the people who have helped me get through it, you know who you are;) Good old rtoc spirit:D
what do i do about tax now that its a 1.7 and now out of the lower tax bracket? I will be informing the insurance company about the change so will it come up when i go to get the tax that its a 1.7 now?

5teve L
17-10-2010, 20:26
Pretty sure you can fill in a form, or something on the V5 about engine changes isn't there ?

Matt Cole
17-10-2010, 20:27
You need to inform DVLA of the engine change and it could go either of 2 ways:

They will request the new engine number, capacity etc, and adjust from that. Hopefully ignore all the rules and you have to do nothing. Or...............

They will ask for the above and an engineers report to state the engines suitability and safety to CURRENT vehicle regulations. If thats not possible, then they may suggest taking it to an approved test centre which will start a whole can of worms and a regret you hadn't bothered doing the conversion in the first place.

SCHWARTZ
17-10-2010, 20:30
i hope youre right steve i dont want to have to deal with the dvla and go through all of that mat
:sad2:

5teve L
17-10-2010, 21:13
I'm sure Matt knows more since he has done one :sad:
I wonder if it needs a VIC check ?

phase i 16 v turbo
17-10-2010, 21:19
I did the opposite with the van it went from a 1.9 to a 1.4. I had to go and get an engineer’s report done. Then went to DVLA Portsmouth and presented to them. They issued me a new tax disc and filled in the relevant paper work and sent it off for me.

SCHWARTZ
17-10-2010, 23:34
guess il have to speak to the dvla and see what they say:rolleyes:

Matt Cole
25-11-2010, 20:31
guess il have to speak to the dvla and see what they say:rolleyes:

did you get sorted matey?

SCHWARTZ
25-11-2010, 20:38
yep well kind of:scratch: In the end i rang again and was told that all i had to do was buy the standard tax for the car and send off my log book with the engine capacity and number etc... fields changed and they would send me out a new log book confirming the changes and a letter requesting a cheque from me for the difference between the two tax prices. I still have not received my log book back or the letter tho:rolleyes:

Brigsy
25-11-2010, 21:04
I did the opposite with the van it went from a 1.9 to a 1.4. I had to go and get an engineer’s report done. Then went to DVLA Portsmouth and presented to them. They issued me a new tax disc and filled in the relevant paper work and sent it off for me.

Thats the way you have to do it, i had to do the same with my van. Same crack for bigger engines, gone are the days of just sending off the logbook!

SCHWARTZ
25-11-2010, 23:05
hopfuly they dont ask me to do it that way as i wont be:laugh:

Matt Cole
25-11-2010, 23:24
as said mate sometimes it depends on the mood i think!:agree: