PDA

View Full Version : Spring rates, ride height and my spine :(

Os8472
13-10-2010, 21:11
Right this is the situation I'm faced with, my 5 has avo coilovers but the fronts even though they have been set to the maximum height sits far too low so I have to have the dampers set quite hard so as not to ground during maximum attack mode:burnrubber:
Now this was all well and good but now I'm starting to get abit older I want my car to ride nice aswell as handle well, so I need to raise the front by 15-20mm so that I can turn the dampers down abit, the way I see it is I need some longer front springs but there are a couple of things I need to know

1 does anyone know what rate the springs that avo supply with thier coilovers? avo won't tell me :mad:

2 Rally Design sell indervidual springs but they come in 3 different diameters, 1.9", 2 1/4" and 60mm, is this the inside or outside diameter of the spring?

and 3 do I go for a longer spring but the same rate as what I have now or do I get a longer spring with a higher rate?

tubby5
13-10-2010, 22:03
I will be keeping an eye on this thread,I have the same prob,My dad has just replaced his suspension on his Marcos. so there are 2 12" coilover springs(200lb) left over for me to use.my only concern is,for me to fit these I will have to wined the platform to the bottom as the springs are almost twice the length.and they might rub on the wheel/tyre

I'm sure 2 1/4 is the i/d of the spring

SCHWARTZ
13-10-2010, 22:24
would some kind of spacer not do the job then if the springs that you have all ready are the right stiffness?

James5
13-10-2010, 22:35
If adjusting the height adjuster on the coilover thread is making no diffference in height:scratch: I would say replace those old knackered avo springs with something maybe a little longer in length and maybe a little stiffer, and adjust the rebound to help soften it out

The AVO GTZ are 220lbs 7"length x 2.25" id springs

Os8472
13-10-2010, 22:36
would some kind of spacer not do the job then if the springs that you have all ready are the right stiffness?

I tried making a spacer out of ally but I couldn't get it right and the machine shop I asked wouldn't touch it :(

SCHWARTZ
13-10-2010, 22:40
I tried making a spacer out of ally but I couldn't get it right and the machine shop I asked wouldn't touch it :(

:sad2:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
13-10-2010, 23:01

Probably didn't want to get involved in a lawsuit if something went wrong and someone died...

Longer stiffer springs are an option.....if it were me, I would check to see if you are going coil bound, then a cable tie round the shaft to see the movement travel and possible bottoming out onto the bump stops.....then go from there....

Os8472
14-10-2010, 07:13
Probably didn't want to get involved in a lawsuit if something went wrong and someone died...

Longer stiffer springs are an option.....if it were me, I would check to see if you are going coil bound, then a cable tie round the shaft to see the movement travel and possible bottoming out onto the bump stops.....then go from there....

I don't know for sure but because the springs are so short (6 3/4") i recon they are, how do you test them to see if they are?

I'll try the cable tie thing tonight

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
14-10-2010, 07:28
Shiney marks/ missing paint on the coils will show they have gone coilbound.

Os8472
14-10-2010, 08:04
Shiney marks/ missing paint on the coils will show they have gone coilbound.

Well these diffo missing paint, being avo's is because of the rust though :sad2:

where abouts on the springs should these shiney marks be?

James5
14-10-2010, 08:47
Well these diffo missing paint, being avo's is because of the rust though :sad2:

where abouts on the springs should these shiney marks be?

It will be wear the coil rings touch each other so pretty much on the top and bottom of each ring.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
14-10-2010, 09:24
As James says, in between the coils of the spring, is the spring poundage etched on the flattened off section of the top/bottom coil of the spring?

Os8472
14-10-2010, 09:49
It will be wear the coil rings touch each other so pretty much on the top and bottom of each ring.

Will check tonight and report back

Os8472
14-10-2010, 09:51
As James says, in between the coils of the spring, is the spring poundage etched on the flattened off section of the top/bottom coil of the spring?

I'll have a look later and see

c7borg
14-10-2010, 12:02
If adjusting the height adjuster on the coilover thread is making no diffference in height:scratch: I would say replace those old knackered avo springs with something maybe a little longer in length and maybe a little stiffer, and adjust the rebound to help soften it out

The AVO GTZ are 220lbs 7"length x 2.25" id springs

I think I might have some 9" 220lbs 2.25's I'll check in the garage tonight

Os8472
14-10-2010, 23:37
well the springs are defo going coilbound, there's no dowt in that, i'll have to take strut off to see if the saving is on them anywhere