PDA

View Full Version : Query about getting it back on the road

Hoolio
25-10-2008, 10:39
Right i'm hopefully picking up the 5 sometime this week:yeah:I'm trailering it back here as it's sorn with no MOT, it will have insurance but what's the order in which things go to get it back on the road?

IE you can't get tax without an MOT but without tax you aren't road legal, what are the rules regarding this?

Kraig
25-10-2008, 10:44
Right i'm hopefully picking up the 5 sometime this week:yeah:I'm trailering it back here as it's sorn with no MOT, it will have insurance but what's the order in which things go to get it back on the road?

IE you can't get tax without an MOT but without tax you aren't road legal, what are the rules regarding this?

You can drive the car without tax and MOT as long as you are taking it direct to a pre booked MOT test, (of course you still need to have your insurance)

Hoolio
25-10-2008, 11:02
Ok, and the taxing process from SORN? Sorry these must seem like really dumb questions but i'd rather find about any pitfalls before i actually stumble into them.:)

scratcher
25-10-2008, 11:18
you just take your MOT and insurance certificates to the post office or dvla centre and they can tax it from there.

Hoolio
25-10-2008, 11:28
Ah, simple then:o Be prepared for many more like this once i get it!

Alex
25-10-2008, 19:55
You can drive the car without tax and MOT as long as you are taking it direct to a pre booked MOT test, (of course you still need to have your insurance)

I was only thinking about this the other day (as I'll have to go through this process soonish)

What happens if you get your car insured, book it in for an MOT, but have a bump on the way there? If you haven't got an MOT or tax, would your insurance company actually pay out? Possibly a grey area. :confused:

tobester
27-10-2008, 15:48
Ok, and the taxing process from SORN? Sorry these must seem like really dumb questions but i'd rather find about any pitfalls before i actually stumble into them.:)

Once you have your car MOT'd and insured you should be able to tax the vehicle online with the logbook document no., give the system 24hrs or so after insuring and MOTing it and then it should go through without a hitch. mine did :D

Hoolio
27-10-2008, 16:15
Once you have your car MOT'd and insured you should be able to tax the vehicle online with the logbook document no., give the system 24hrs or so after insuring and MOTing it and then it should go through without a hitch. mine did :D

thought about this but was wondering how the transfer from his name to mine would affect things, should i wait to hear from Dvlc that the car is now in my name etc?

tobester
27-10-2008, 17:00
thought about this but was wondering how the transfer from his name to mine would affect things, should i wait to hear from Dvlc that the car is now in my name etc?

I would advise yes, particularly as they will send the tax disc to the address where the vehicle is registered. If you're in no rush then do it online, if you are, stand in the post office queue! :)